Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/07/10 18:09

Tracker

Laboratory equipment

Hi,
I was inavtive in the OCF for a long time, but I like this forum and watch it regulary.
I would find it a pity, if Harry would delete my account for inactivity, how he has written to me.

I'm not able to build cool models like EdT or Samer, but I'm able to build easy models in Milkshape 3D, Ultimate Unwrap 3D and Fragmotion with simple bone animations.
At the time I help a friend at the development of a simple Horrorshooter named "The death laboratory".

Here I show you a ray treatment device for the gene laboratory I just work on.
lab_unit1a.jpg
lab_unit1b.jpg

And here is a small YouTube video, which shows the animations in a demo level
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgiiM2RRlHM

Would such a device also be interesting to place it in ONI levels?  smile

Last edited by Tracker (09/07/10 18:09)

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#2 09/07/10 21:09

Lithium

Re: Laboratory equipment

I have to say the Syndicate Mountain Facility (i forget name) or TCTF HQ (somewhere secret)
maybe thats where the Syndicate or Officers get their Crysalis or something. I think they all the a crysalis due to their powers like the Lion Axe kick and Striker Slam, i mean they have color lines after the attacks.
That or those could've have been used on Muro or Barabas seeing as their Crysalis powers are stronger than others...thats my guess
also nice animation i like it

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 09/08/10 00:09

TOCS

It's great to see veteran members returning! smile
Also, I like your idea. Your modelling skills ain't bad either!

I hope you'll reconsider modelling or animating for Oni! Also take a look at XSI, it might interest you. wink

#4 09/08/10 08:09

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Tracker wrote:

Hi,
I was inavtive in the OCF for a long time, but I like this forum and watch it regulary.
I would find it a pity, if Harry would delete my account for inactivity, how he has written to me.

Your account has more than 0 posts so it was never affected. tongue

(I only purged accounts that never posted.)

Derail over. wink

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#5 09/08/10 12:09

EdT
Website

Tracker: You're able to create new models, that's great.  We need modders that can make 3D models and texture them.

You can import weapons or other models such as cars or equipment as OBJ files.  You might try exporting a model from Oni, modify it, then import it back to the Oni and see how it looks.  That's how I got the Delorean into Oni.

Perhaps you can also learn XSI Mod Tools, that's the program needed to import modified or new characters models into Oni.

#6 09/08/10 14:09

guido
Website

Harry wrote:

Your account has more than 0 posts so it was never affected. tongue

(I only purged accounts that never posted.)

Derail over. wink

indeed.

What if this is as good as it gets?

#7 09/08/10 16:09

Tracker

I am pleased if you like my model and  I'm glad to be back and to meet so many acquaintances again.  big_smile
If I manage to import Oni models in Milkshape and after that in ONI packages correctly again, this could be a new start in the OCF for me.

Last year I told Paradox, that I also would like to make a model for Oni AE.
I installed Onisplit and XSI on my PC and tried to import a model for test use from an ONI package in Milkshape.
Thanks EdTs tutorial I was able to unfold the Modell correctly with XSI, but I lost the bones as I tried to import it in Milkshape.
I'm not good in reading English tutorials, and since a few years I've big problems with my eyes, so I gave up.
Next weekend I'll try it again.
If I find a useable way, I perhaps also can make some models for ONI.  smile

#8 09/08/10 19:09

EdT
Website

Tracker: Oni does not use bones for animations.  Each character is made up of 19 parts and each part rotates along its pivot point.  In modern games the model is made as a single object and bones are used to animate the object.

You could always make the model and leave the process of importing them to us! :-)

#9 09/08/10 20:09

Mukade

On a similar subject, I've been wondering if anyone has succesfully imported models from other games into oni? How easy is it to create all the body parts and pivot points?

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#10 09/08/10 20:09

EdT
Website

Its a lot of work!  Remember Cosplay Lara?  A good example is the Master Chief.

One problem is that some models have a high polygon count and getting them down to 1024 vertices per part is difficult.  Or as mentioned, a model is composed of one part, so you have to break that model into 19 parts.

With the difficulty, very few have attempted it.

#11 09/08/10 22:09

Mukade

Doesn't seem incredibly difficult to actualty *define* the different parts, for me, it would be the technical side of actually telling the computer that it's its own body part... anyways, mostly just curious, still something I'd like to explore eventually

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#12 09/09/10 18:09

Tracker

@EdT
It's interesting to hear that ONI models don't have bones.
I ever thought I made a mistake at the import.
Now I understand better, how the animations work in ONI.  big_smile

You could always make the model and leave the process of importing them to us!

I sent you a PM with a link to a test file of my model 'lab_unit1' in the formats .dae, .xsi and .obj, but I got a security warning when I sent it.
Have you got the PM?

#13 09/09/10 21:09

EdT
Website

Tracker: I did not get your PM, please try again.

#14 09/10/10 01:09

Tracker

@EdT
What a pity the PM didn't work.
I sent you the link again at your mail adress.

#15 09/12/10 16:09

Tracker

This weekend I played a bit around Softimage XSI Mod Tool, to learn how to use ist.
I tried to import my model lab_unit1 in the formats .obj, .dae, .xsi, .x and .fbx, but only the format .obj seems to work properly.
Unfortunately the animations and the transparency of the glass door got lost.
Instead of animations I made 6 models in different animation positions.
lab_unit1c.jpg

In the next screenshot you can see, how I set the alpha value 0.5 manually for the transparency of the glass door in XSI again.
Perhaps a alpha value of 0.75 looks better in ONI. I don't know.
lab_unit1d.jpg

I exported the result over File - Crosswalk - Export in the format Collada dae and it kept the transparency.
The .dae files should be a good base to import it in ONI, but actually, I'm still not able to manage this.

Each model has 2932 vertices, 4937 triangles, 3 groups, 3 materials and 3 textures (cylinder.tga, glassdoor.tga and genesoldier4.tga).
If you don't like my unanimated, low poly genesoldier model, I can delete it.
After that, each model would have 1770 vertices, 3399 triangles, 2 groups, 2 materials and 2 textures.

As I saw, that ONI uses tga files for textures, I changed the file format from bmp to tga.
Actually my tga files don't contain alpha channels.
Are they nessecary for ONI?
I wondered that ONI tga files have white alpha channels and not black ones.
Are white alpha channels used for the reflection of the materials in ONI and black alpha channels for transparency?

Do you think this model is good enough and usable to place it in ONI AE?
What can I improve, to make this possible and easier?  smile

#16 09/12/10 18:09

Gumby

You get reflection with a certain TXMP flag. In any case, your model cannot be good enough to be put in AE as we currently don't have a fully working level importer. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#17 09/13/10 17:09

Tracker

You get reflection with a certain TXMP flag.

Does that mean, I don't need to put a alpha channel in TGA-texture files for ONI?

In any case, your model cannot be good enough to be put in AE as we currently don't have a fully working level importer.

What a pity, I thought it would be possible to put new models in ONI levels.
At the moment, it does not seem to make much sense to build further laboratory equipment for ONI. roll

#18 09/13/10 17:09

Mukade

I would make one small criticism on your model. It looks good, however, the torso and head look a bit too small for the legs... or am I the only one that thinks that? Anyways, I'd suggest either trying to shrink the legs or grow the waist up wink

#19 09/13/10 18:09

Tracker

You are right! The legs are to big for the upper part of the body.
The genesoldier model is only a non animated dummy for demo purposes.
I can delete it. Perhaps an empty lab_unit1 would match better to ONI.  smile

#20 09/14/10 14:09

Mukade

I tend to agree, the model doesn't seem to fit in, since it seems more of a modern day soldiers outfit...

However, if you were to perhaps import an Oni model and replace the existing one, it might work better?  big_smile

#21 09/14/10 15:09

Tracker

Thank you for the tip!
Meanwhile I also think, it's easier to extract and modify existing models. smile

At the time have an idea, how to modify a Tanker model, but I need a few days to try it out.
I will post the result for discussion in an other topic. smile

Board footer