Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/11/10 13:08

Rostner

Oni-like Game.

Hi, I'm sorta new here. I would like to recommend to all of you a game called Savage: The Battle for Newerth, also currently known as Savage XR. It has the style of Oni. Melee and Shooter, but it is also a multiplayer game. I just thought I'd let you guys know about it. Give it a try, it's free! And, It's for Linux, Mac, and Windows.

Oh, btw. My ingame username is Rostner

www.newerth.com

#2 08/11/10 14:08

Mukade

Re: Oni-like Game.

Welcome Rostner!

Thanks for the tip, might look into it later.

Hope you have a good stay at OCF!  big_smile

EDIT: Interesting! I checked some gameplay footage on youtube, I wouldn't call it Oni-Style just cause it has melee combat, it doesn't look as complex, but even so, looks quite interesting. Might give it a shot smile

Last edited by Mukade (08/11/10 14:08)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#3 08/11/10 15:08

Rostner

I know it's not the same type of melee, but I like it cuz it has melee and ranged weapons at the same time, Like Oni.

Thanks for the welcome

#4 08/11/10 17:08

Lithium

well one could argue that all 3d beat em ups with weapons could be like oni
like that awful FF:streetwise
but thats not really the case here  neutral

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#5 08/12/10 13:08

Sharoduinn

Hey, I've played Savage too smile mostly the demo, though (I played the full version only for a short period) but it's a really good game wink
Later I discovered Savage 2 and became pretty good at it (true/false? Maybe my opponents were just really noob-y hmm ) But after the best servers disappeared I just somehow forgot it sad

I recommend both Savage's to everybody here in the forum big_smile  (at least give either one a try tongue )
             [I hope this doesn't count as advertising in the forum...?]

Last edited by Sharoduinn (08/13/10 07:08)

"Sorry about the mess"

#6 08/13/10 15:08

Mukade

Well, it's the "Anything but Oni" thread, so I think it's all good smile

Yeah, I tried savage XR, and I'm not very good at it tongue
Everyone makes it look so easy, but it really isnt

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#7 08/14/10 12:08

Rostner

I guess I forgot to mention it has quite a steep learning curve. If you stick with it for a few hours daily. You would learn to play in a few days. And get "kinda" good within 2-3 weeks. BUT, once you get good at the game it gets really fun. Just don't get frustrated if you keep dying. That's the worst thing that you want to happen. You'll definitely stop playing.

PS: I forgot to mention there's a RTS part to the game as well. Each team has a commander that researches technology and builds buildings to defend the base for the rest of the team. A commander is the most essential part for each team. So, if you're good at games like Starcraft or Warcraft. You should definitely give it a try. But make sure you command on an empty server first, so you at least know what you're doing. big_smile

#8 08/14/10 12:08

Rostner

Sharoduinn wrote:

Hey, I've played Savage too smile mostly the demo, though (I played the full version only for a short period) but it's a really good game wink
Later I discovered Savage 2 and became pretty good at it (true/false? Maybe my opponents were just really noob-y hmm ) But after the best servers disappeared I just somehow forgot it sad

I recommend both Savage's to everybody here in the forum big_smile  (at least give either one a try tongue )
             [I hope this doesn't count as advertising in the forum...?]

I forgive you for playing Savage 2. JK. I never got into it before. My eyes couldn't see the units very well (maybe it was the strange graphics or something).

But seriously, you should try Savage 1 again. It has received a complete graphics boost and better gameplay. The melee is a lot smoother.

#9 01/07/12 16:01

Windy

neutral

Last edited by Windy (01/17/12 11:01)

Board footer