A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/29/10 14:04

Satyr

Bungie Partners With Activision

Bungie Partners With Activision
10 year exclusive deal announced.
by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

UK, April 29, 2010 - Bungie has just announced a deal with Activision Blizzard, spanning some ten years, that will see the publishing giant releasing the Halo developer's next big franchise.

Bungie President Harold Ryan explained the announcement, saying "We chose to partner with Activision on our next IP because of their global reach, multi-platform experience and marketing expertise, From working together over the past nine months on this agreement, it is clear that Activision supports our commitment to giving our fans the best possible gaming experiences."

Bungie is currently at work on Halo: Reach, a game that's now looking ever more likely to be its last entry in the franchise.

The deal gives Activision the rights to publish Bungie's games for the next 10 years across multiple formats, although Bungie remains independent and will still own its own intellectual property.

"Bungie has developed some of the most compelling and successful games, multiplayer experiences and thriving fan communities, and this alliance underscores our long-standing commitment to foster the industry's best creative talent," said Activision Blizzard's COO Thomas Tippl, "Our unprecedented partnership with Bungie will enable us to broaden our pipeline of exciting new games as we continue to strengthen our industry position and pursue long-term growth opportunities."

Source:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1086793p1.html

--

So, what do you guys think? Is this the final stab that will kill Oni once and for all? Or would Activision actually be interested in Oni's concept? Seems interesting enough to have a discussion about.  smile

Last edited by Satyr (04/29/10 14:04)

#2 04/29/10 15:04

Jon God

Re: Bungie Partners With Activision

Activision is the worst publisher currently around, I now know I no longer need to by Bungie products.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#3 04/29/10 15:04

Gumby

Activision\Bungie could care less about Oni, from a buisness\dev sense. T2 owns everything.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 04/29/10 17:04

Iritscen

Right, Activision would have to buy Oni from T2 in order to do anything with it, and I don't see that happening in 100 years.  Activision has explicitly said that they are going to be publishing Bungie's new IP, so, yeah.  Not Oni, but something totally new.  Which is the direction Bungie needs to go for their own sake.  The only IP they even own anymore is Marathon (unless you want to count PiD and earlier games as well, which are even less relevant), so they need to build something for their future.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 04/30/10 00:04

GlenP

Wow, I was just making a wild April Fool's Joke here about Blizzard publishing a new "World of Oni"

http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=1578

imagine that... there's always hope.
(at least we can dream)

Last edited by GlenP (04/30/10 00:04)

#6 05/01/10 00:05

Jon God

Activision will destroy what made Bungie unique, mark my words.

Jon-God.jpg

#7 05/01/10 03:05

Gumby

Jon God wrote:

Activision will destroy what made Bungie unique, mark my words.

Naw, they lived through being partnered\owned by MS. Acitivision is just publishing, not having any part with the development. Bungie hasn't published its own games since before Oni.

I don't like Activision much either, but Bungie is a big grown up company now, and they can handle themselves. I'd rather they take a little risk than go on to Halo XVI or whatever it is now.

#8 05/01/10 09:05

Dirk Gently
Website

Activision is worse than MS. Activision hates games, MS does not. The only reason why they did this is because they were approached by Activision and Activision wants to make money off of a game series year after year.

#9 05/01/10 13:05

Jon God

Dirk Gently wrote:

Activision is worse than MS. Activision hates games, MS does not. The only reason why they did this is because they were approached by Activision and Activision wants to make money off of a game series year after year.

This.

If you thought M$ was bad...

Jon-God.jpg

#10 05/02/10 00:05

Gumby

Dirk Gently wrote:

Activision is a game publishing company. They can't "hate" games. And nothing wrong with making money. You are still ignoring the fact that Bunge isn't stupid nor inexperienced. You guys are seriously overreacting.

#11 05/02/10 12:05

Dirk Gently
Website

Gumby wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Activision is a game publishing company. They can't "hate" games. And nothing wrong with making money. You are still ignoring the fact that Bunge isn't stupid nor inexperienced. You guys are seriously overreacting.

I am sorry, Bob Kotick, the CEO of activision hates games.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 … -heart.ars

There is also the fact that Activision fired the leads of Infinity ward, and now 30-40 infinity ward employees have now filed a lawsuit because of it.

#12 05/02/10 18:05

Gumby

Dirk Gently wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

I am sorry, Bob Kotick, the CEO of activision hates games.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009 … -heart.ars

There is also the fact that Activision fired the leads of Infinity ward, and now 30-40 infinity ward employees have now filed a lawsuit because of it.

Still, what do you think he is going to do? Connive the IP rights out from under Bungie's nose? Get them to fire half their employees? Force them to liquidate their company?

#13 05/02/10 20:05

Lithium

Activision must pay for what they've done

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#14 05/02/10 20:05

GlenP

I was totally unfamiliar with the reputation of Activision, but it does seem like they have a long history of squeezing to death their own Golden Goose just to try to get more eggs from it. 

Anyone here (old enough to) remember Infocom?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infocom

#15 05/03/10 17:05

Lithium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTHS2TIISUE
I saw this game once and i was so curious to play as a kid. So i found an SNES copy, and i wasn't expecting an arcade perfect port, but um all i got was this...and it SUCKED, and it was by Activision not capcom, who made teh original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EqG7c-IFn8
i mean the game was so bad, the predators take forever to die and its not no-op. And i bet Activision just made a game with the same title hoping kids would buy it hoping it was an arcade port. All i gt to say...damn you activision, you money suckers

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#16 05/12/10 01:05

Ridrave

Activision is a violent race. I really hate all of their game release, bad gameplay, bad story line, bad@$$. And what becoming of oni if acti............ Aw, i dun wanna know.. sad

mycharactercreation1.gif

#17 05/12/10 03:05

Gumby

Nothing will become of Oni from this.

#18 05/12/10 13:05

Mukade

Gahhh, we need, like, and announcement in giant letters on the Homepage saying

"BUNGIE NO LONGER OWNS THE RIGHTS TO ONI! TAKE2 DOES!!"

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#19 05/12/10 17:05

Iritscen

It's definitely FAQ material if we ever put up that FAQ we were working on.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#20 05/13/10 00:05

northero
Website

nope I can bet with u with everything I have that activision will nvr care about oni... at least not as much as bungie would  hmm

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#21 05/13/10 14:05

Mukade

Not that it matters because:

------->BUNGIE DOES NOT OWN THE RIGHTS TO ONI ANYMORE <-------------

big_smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#22 05/23/10 10:05

SCV

i see a lot bad comment on activision. Sound like nightmare to us.....is it?

#23 03/26/11 19:03

GlenP

I just got an XBox360 and HALO REACH yesterday.  One the first page of the manual it says

"Welcome to Noble Team. I commend you for the exemplary manner in which you've conducted your duties while serving with ONI/SectionTHREE/Beta-5". 

But, they are referring to Office of Naval Intelligence, nothing to do with the real Oni.

#24 03/27/11 07:03

Delano762
Website

It's obviously a simple easter egg/nod to Oni, I think it means that Bungie haven't forgotten their best game of all time. Regarding Activison, I think it at least LOOKED like a normal publisher before MW2 and Bobby Kotick. After MW2 and that fella everything went down the toilet. But imo EA is still infinitely worse than Activision.

Last edited by Delano762 (03/27/11 07:03)

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#25 03/27/11 17:03

Jon God

Delano762 wrote:

It's obviously a simple easter egg/nod to Oni, I think it means that Bungie haven't forgotten their best game of all time. Regarding Activison, I think it at least LOOKED like a normal publisher before MW2 and Bobby Kotick. After MW2 and that fella everything went down the toilet. But imo EA is still infinitely worse than Activision.

ONI(Office of Navel Intelligence) was referenced in the Halo universe circa 2001, which was around the same time Oni was out.

Also the Office of Navel Intelligence is a real thing.

Jon-God.jpg

Board footer