Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/14/10 15:01

Tudorge
Website

Detailed help about OUP

Can somebody give [me, not a holder of super-big hexes, coding and file types knowledge], a detailed help on how to replace textures. I need this:
What i want to do is have fun, to have fun, I need to mess bardabooze up. To do so, i need his icon to display me something else. I tried OUP, i extracted the image, i had partial fun, i changed it from TXMP to bmp, still worked. I tried to use TXMP replacer, but i only had a list, from level_0 (the one i'm working in), AND 2. Select BMP to replace with (and a browse button).
I selected the image, but i didn't find how to save it back as TXMP, then back in level_0.dat
I know you can do it in OniSplit, but please, tell me the whole process, as i know where the logic goes, I just need the details.
If you do the whole thing in OniSplit, why there's a texture replacement button in OUP. And how did people modify textures so easily, when theres a bunch of xml or whatever programing and hex editing to do. I seriously don't want to get into them, and try to have fun modding other ways, but i really want to learn this, whatever it takes.
Please let me know.

Last edited by Tudorge (01/14/10 15:01)

#2 01/14/10 15:01

Phydur

Re: Detailed help about OUP

does this help?
http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Modifying_textures

(edit:)
also, oni-unpacker made modifying textures semi-easy. but i dont know if i should recomend it. some one with more knowlege should answer that.

Last edited by Phydur (01/14/10 16:01)

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#3 01/14/10 16:01

Tudorge
Website

I've checked that before. That's why i said that i don't know but a little from a few parts.

#4 01/14/10 18:01

Iritscen

Tudorge wrote:

If you do the whole thing in OniSplit, why there's a texture replacement button in OUP.

OUP was made long before OniSplit.  I'm not sure it's actively being used by modders these days; OniSplit is much more up-to-date in terms of our understanding of the binary data.

And how did people modify textures so easily, when theres a bunch of xml or whatever programing and hex editing to do.

There's no programming or hex editing involved in swapping around TXMP.oni files.  Sometimes a little XML, but that's easy.  I think you're overestimating what's involved, or making things more complicated for yourself.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/14/10 18:01

EdT
Website

Here's a simple way to change textures using OniSplit.
1) Find the texture you want to change and extract it as TGA or PNG file, using OniSplit GUI. All the textures can be found at Edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Textures.
2) Make, modify a new texture.  You can go up to 512x512 in size.
3) Convert the new texture to an .oni file.
4) Rename the new texture as the original.
5) Either use an existing package or create a new one. (If you will be making lots of changes, it may be good to make a new package for your modifications)  For example to use an existing package, you could select 11000BetterWeaps, find the level0_Textures folder inside and put your new textures in there.
6) Use AEInstaller and click Install.  Now you should see your new texture.  If you ever want to go back to the original texture, remove the new one from the package and reinstall

Board footer