Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 12/13/09 00:12

63E

Help. Can't run the AE on my intel mac

Hi guys just wondering if you can help me out with a very basic problem I am having, and I am pretty sure it is probably something I'm doing wrong. I downloaded the AE here: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE , and the framework for MAC OS 10.5 http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html which is the OS I have now (10.5.7) and obviously I use the patch to run the game on my computer. So after initializing the framework and installing the AE with all the mods nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? I put the AE in the "oni ƒ" folder. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the AE as well Mono. If it's of any help the patch that comes with the AE never does anything (it doesn't run or ask to select retail installation) so I just run the patch I normally use and it just runs the regular game, unchanged. Any ideas?

Last edited by 63E (12/13/09 00:12)

#2 12/13/09 00:12

EdT
Website

Re: Help. Can't run the AE on my intel mac

Recap:
1) You put the Edition folder inside the Oni folder (try removing the ƒ from the folder name)
2) Start up AE Installer inside the install folder (did it take a few minutes to globalize the files?)
3) Was there a new GameDataFolder inside the Edition folder?
4) Did you use the Oni program included in AE?
5) The menu should say Anniversary Edition.

#3 12/13/09 01:12

63E

1) Yep thats what I did. I just removed ƒ to be sure

2) The first time it did globalize and then I installed all the mods and closed it.

3) Yes. There was only a gamedata folder after installation

4) No I did not. I just redid everything again and nothing happens if I use the program that came with the AE. The first time it asks to select retail install and I click yes like usual only this times nothing happens the prompt just goes away. Click it again and nothing happens.

5) I have yet to see the AE menu  sad

#4 12/13/09 01:12

Gumby

Are you running the binary inside Oni\Edition?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#5 12/13/09 01:12

63E

? Sorry I have no idea what this means. The AE folder comes as "Edition-Mac" and you can either go to "Edition" or "__MACOSX" everything in "__MACOSX" is either folders and files or an app and an installer that does not work ("not supported by this architecture"). Everything in edition seems to be paralleled with a working installer and the OSX patch which does do anything unfortunately.

Last edited by 63E (12/13/09 01:12)

#6 12/13/09 02:12

63E

I don't know if this helps but I started from scratch again. After installing the AE nothing happens when I hit the icon to run Oni (the mac OSX patch). I couldn't get Oni to run unless I took out the AE folder.

#7 12/13/09 02:12

Gumby

Which file gave the  "not supported by this architecture" error?

Also, please upload your Install and Globalize.logs

#8 12/13/09 08:12

Iritscen

63E wrote:

? Sorry I have no idea what this means. The AE folder comes as "Edition-Mac" and you can either go to "Edition" or "__MACOSX" everything in "__MACOSX" is either folders and files or an app and an installer that does not work ("not supported by this architecture"). Everything in edition seems to be paralleled with a working installer and the OSX patch which does do anything unfortunately.

Whaaaat???  The AE download is Edition-Mac.zip.  The .zip file expands into an "Edition" folder, which is what you put in the Oni folder.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#9 12/13/09 09:12

demos_kratos

I thought __MACOSX folder is visible only on a PC. Were you using a Mac then? ^_^'

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#10 12/13/09 12:12

63E

Gumby wrote:

Which file gave the  "not supported by this architecture" error?

Also, please upload your Install and Globalize.logs

will do later on when I have a couple of minutes.

Iritscen wrote:
63E wrote:

Whaaaat???  The AE download is Edition-Mac.zip.  The .zip file expands into an "Edition" folder, which is what you put in the Oni folder.

For me it dowloads as Edition-Mac.zip which safari automatically expands to Edition-Mac and then goes as previously stated.

demos_kratos wrote:

I thought __MACOSX folder is visible only on a PC. Were you using a Mac then? ^_^'

? Yep. I'm using mac. On the link posted I hit the link that says mac and it automatically unzips the file.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

#11 12/13/09 14:12

63E

Here it is.

#12 12/13/09 15:12

63E

Fixed it. I put the whole unzipped folder into ONI. I should have only put the edition sub folder.  tongue

#13 12/13/09 16:12

Iritscen

shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif Safari's zip-expansion is whacked.  I tried it myself just now, with "Open safe files after downloading" turned on, and it gave me the same thing you got.  Well, that's totally nuts, because I used the built-in OS X zipping feature to make it in the first place.  I'll have to see what I can do to avoid that with the next AE release.

Last edited by Iritscen (07/23/17 16:07)

#14 12/13/09 16:12

Iritscen

Okay, what the crap.  I get the same results downloading the .zip through Firefox and unzipping it.  Why didn't anyone mention this before?

#15 12/13/09 16:12

63E

Thanks for the input. Yeah it wasn't too hard, its just the instructions don't explain what folder they are referring to --> the AE or edition for short (it says something like that) confused me as to what folder. I guess it isn't unzipping perfectly but to any fellow mac users having problems unzip the file and look where it says edition or _macOSX take the edition folder out, place it in the oni folder and run the installer, it should work. The old containing folder is not of any use. Thanks again everyone.

#16 12/13/09 16:12

Iritscen

It looks like some Windows or Unix system did not understand the Mac resource forks and split them off.  Gotta watch out for this in the next release.

#17 12/13/09 17:12

demos_kratos

It's always a PC's fault in the end г_г

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#18 12/13/09 17:12

Gumby

demos_kratos wrote:

It's always a PC's fault in the end г_г

Wait, what? This has nothing to do with PCs.

#19 12/13/09 18:12

Iritscen

Well, it is probably the fault of the server, which runs Unix, or maybe even the Drupal software.  Of course I share in the blame for not testing the .zip file, but I kinda thought I had *shrug*

#20 12/13/09 18:12

Gumby

The zip file was working before...

#21 12/14/09 22:12

Iritscen

Well, I'm not sure that I understand the full story of what went on here, but the main thing I learned is that if you use OS X's right-click menu to compress a file, it creates a .zip with hidden data that can badly confuse Windows and Unix.  If you use any other method to make the file, such as the "zip" command in the Terminal, it generates a proper .zip file.  I replaced the Edition-Mac file on the Depot with a new version that seems to work right, so hopefully the problem is solved.

Board footer