Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/06/07 03:07

Blarfo

Mouse Behavior A Little Wonky

I recently got Oni and have been trying to enjoy it, but the mouse movement feels extremely odd.

Whenever I move my mouse, it feels as if it's aiming on a grid. What I mean is it'll it seems to jump instead of glide across the screen. I can't imagine this is intended, because it makes the game frustrating to control.

Playing on lower resolutions makes the mouse a tad more responsive, but it still doesn't fix this jumpy issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: As I'm playing, the game feels like it's really unresponsive. Is this just the result of an older game? It's really annoying. hmm

Last edited by Blarfo (07/06/07 04:07)

#2 07/06/07 05:07

geyser
Website

Re: Mouse Behavior A Little Wonky

Please give us a little information on your OS and mouse (and your GFX hardware/drivers while you're at it).
The only problem similar to your "mouse lag" was this: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … .php?id=55
However, it's not the same, especially if you say the other controls lack response as well (please confirm).

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 07/06/07 06:07

Blarfo

Alrighty.

My OS is Windows XP. My friend running XP has the same problem when I tried running it on his PC. We both use optical Logitech mouses, neither of us has had any history of an issue like this in any type of game before. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT with the updated drivers from May 31 (latest ones, I just checked).

The unresponsive controls are extremely obstructive and random. With the actual keyboard movements, I can control myself normally and then randomly have to try pressing a key twice or even three times just to get the change in direction registered. I can't give much more information on that.

However, the mouse issue is much worse. During the course of the game, if I try to move my mouse any faster than say an inch per second, my movement won't be properly registered. Either it will go partially then stop, and require me to stop moving the mouse and then restart the motion to get myself to turn, or it will simply ignore the motion altogether. It almost feels like I have mouse acceleration being toggled on and off extremely rapidly, with varying degrees of acceleration. When the mouse does respond properly though, it still feels like it moves on a grid, like I was tapping the arrow keys to make the changes. It's much more noticeable when I'm wielding a gun, in which I simply can't aim precisely because the reticle literally jumps around.

I've tried playing on all the resolutions, and while the lower resolutions make this problem less noticeable, it remains an issue at all levels.

Edit: Well... I tried playing the game in windowed mode and it apparently solved the problem. Even if I max the resolution to fill my screen, it works in windowed mode, but not in full-screen. Really odd. This leads me to a whole new question though! Now the game is a tad TOO responsive. Is there a way to turn down the mouse sensitivity? big_smile

At any rate, I thank you for replying and making the effort in aiding me when I was clueless.

Last edited by Blarfo (07/06/07 07:07)

#4 07/06/07 09:07

geyser
Website

I was going to suggest the windowed mode next, but I wanted you to make an effort first tongue
Glad it works. Windowed mode is actually very recommendable, since you can switch to/from Oni.
Even if you're playing at maximum resolution, hitting Escape or F1 should let you have the taskbar.

There is no way right now to adjust the mouse sensitivity except by altering your system settings.
Note that the mouse will be much less sensitive when you use certain weapons, so be careful smile

Also check out the Daodan DLL: http://geyser.oni2.net/EXE/pc.east/
Just place the vtuneapi.dll into your Oni folder.
If it complains, use the EXE as well.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

Board footer