Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/04/07 20:07

Phydur

Not dead yet...

Sorry I haven't been on for such a long time,
I've been busy, and didn't realy feel like I had anything to contribute.

anyway, I had an idea: I'd like to make a treasure hunt/hide-and-seek mod,
thinking of ways i could implement this, i was wondering if the mission compass is hard coded, or if you can set it to objects, or even people.

if anyone has any suggestions, i'd like to hear them.

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#2 07/04/07 20:07

Your_Mom
Website

Re: Not dead yet...

Same here tongue

Well, maybe you could make the treasure hunt thing a progressive thing - you'll encounter unpassable obstacles unless you ifnd the right stuff in the right order or something, that'd make it more like a puzzle game. No compass, obviously, the whole point is to find it then use it to move on. (for example, an infinite force-field to bypass a unavoidable turret system).

That'd be fun to play. (there'll still be enemies, of course, maybe you'd have to fight them to get their item.

I'm not even sure what's feasible or what's not anymore, I just look on and go "wow" since I haven't been modding this game for ages.

droid803sig.jpg

#3 07/04/07 22:07

Phydur

Your_Mom wrote:

No compass, obviously, the whole point is to find it then use it to move on. .

actually, the intent behind the question for the compass, is not to point out the item, but a way to detect if the player is at/near the item or not.
i would actually turn off the compass, visually.

Last edited by Phydur (07/04/07 22:07)

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

#4 07/05/07 05:07

geyser
Website

There is no way to use the information provided by the compass except display the compass itself. If you want to determine the player's location, you can still use trigger volumes.
You can play with the compass arc width and see if the effect is what you want. If I understood you correctly, you don't want to give any information on direction, only on "contact".
You can also turn off certain parts of the compass, like the up/down arrow. Hope this helps.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

Board footer