Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/29/09 19:09

Mukade

Modding "Fair"?

This just popped into my head about a minute ago, I'm thinking of a sort of modding fair, as the title would suggest. Basically, everyone would create a script, model, moveset, wepaon, texture, or SOMETHING they created themselves.

The catch to this is, no help can be asked for, you can look up the Wiki, but the point is to use your abilities, and come up with something as original as you can, and to try and learn something new. It would not be a contest, as many of us here are much more experienced than others.

I'm not sure that there are people here that CAN learn something new, as they already know as much as possible without actually modifying the games programming itself, but who should contribute anyways. It would be a good way to increase the content of the game, and have fun.

Also, if you decide to work on something for this, keep it a secret wink
We'll have one big unveiling at the end, where people can examine each others work and offer *constructive* critiscism on how they might improve. (Don't go hard on the newbies like me, we can only go one step at a time.)

Please vote yes or no, and post your response, with a reason smile
Please don't vote no just because you have NO experience. This is a sort of motivation to learn something new. As for me, i think it would make motivation enough to get working on a couple projects i gave up on :3

Last edited by Mukade (09/29/09 19:09)

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#2 09/29/09 19:09

Gumby

Re: Modding "Fair"?

I would contribute something.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 09/29/09 20:09

myplea1

I would love it i havent created anything big yet but It would be some good motivation and it would be a good kickstart.

Awol

#4 09/29/09 20:09

Leus
Website

I have a good idea but I dunno if I'd be willing to dedicate enough time to it.  When would the fair be?

Anyway, I vote yes.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#5 09/29/09 20:09

Mukade

Well, if i get more yes votes, it'll start tomorrow, and we can then decide on a day or days most likely that we will be unveiling our creations. If itll take too long, present what you have an explain what your intending to do to finish it and show it when it's done  cool

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#6 09/29/09 21:09

EdT
Website

I like it!  It may encourage some to try modding for the first time.  However, there should be some provision if you are completely stuck in a project. 

You can't ask for direct help: "I'm want to make this super duper something, can someone write me a step by step tutorial."

But perhaps: "I've looked for information about ______, but cannot find it, does anyone know if its available?"

There needs to be some balance when it comes to asssitance, so that the modder doesn't give up on the project.

#7 09/29/09 21:09

Mukade

i suppose so smile

#8 09/29/09 21:09

Gumby

If anyone gets really stuck, they can PM me, I won't tell anyone. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#9 09/29/09 23:09

EdT
Website

Well, one thing for sure, because of the modding fair, I came up with new project!  Now can I make it work...

#10 09/30/09 01:09

Samer
Website

But But But I already have a project tongue does it count tongue ?

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#11 09/30/09 08:09

Mukade

i would suggest making a new one since we already know what it is, but this is pretty inforrmal, so if hyou want to you can

#12 09/30/09 08:09

Samer
Website

LOL .. yeah sure I'm a character factory ...  hmm  I'm fresh out of new ideas for now and out of time . good idea though .

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#13 09/30/09 09:09

Iritscen

EdT wrote:

there should be some provision if you are completely stuck in a project. 

You can't ask for direct help: "I'm want to make this super duper something, can someone write me a step by step tutorial."

But perhaps: "I've looked for information about ______, but cannot find it, does anyone know if its available?"

Yes, and I am pretty sure that, although we've always wanted the wiki to be the one-stop solution to all problems, there are still some tutorials that either need to be written or need to be updated, so if someone tells us "I don't see a tutorial on X" or "This tutorial is talking about hex editing, help!", we can improve the wiki in that regard.

Samoko, Mukade suggested you start a new project, not a new character specifically ^_^ It could be that you would need to try branching out into a new kind of modding.  But as he said, you could go ahead and complete Casey for your entry if you wanted.  But think of it this way, if you *do* get a new idea, you will be surprising us when it's revealed, so that's something.

Mukade, would the fair have an end date?  Say, a month from when it starts, or what were you thinking?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#14 09/30/09 13:09

Leus
Website

so if someone tells us "I don't see a tutorial on X" or "This tutorial is talking about hex editing, help!", we can improve the wiki in that regard.

Nice!  Since no direct help is allowed, that'd be good motivation for some people to whip up some new junk for the wiki.  smile

This fair is brilliant apparently.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#15 09/30/09 13:09

Mukade

yes, it would, there would be 2-3 weeks of work, and on say, anytime during the fourth week, there will be a new thread where you can show off your creation

@Samoko, i agreewith Iritscen, it doesnt have to be a character, it doesn't even have to be very complex. Try something new

@Iritscen again, exactly, and wiki's don't answer your questions, or respond to certain compatibility problems that people might have. This may be a good time to solve some of these issues and add them to the Wiki...

Okay, juding by the votes, it looks like we're gonna do it smile
should i create a new discussion topic on it? or do we just keep this one?

#16 09/30/09 13:09

myplea1

Yup everyone seems to like it hopefully we will have a few more than Seven but for people like me who don't mod at all almost it will be a good motivator to get me to read thrugh some of the tutorials.

Awol

#17 09/30/09 13:09

Mukade

yeah, im hoping some of the less active ppl will pop up sometime a bit later and participate

#18 09/30/09 14:09

Iritscen

Some members may not sign on and see this topic for a day or two, so we should probably give more people time to express interest before actually starting it (not that you said you were going to do otherwise, just remarking).

As far as starting a new topic for it, it's up to you, but I would point out that right now we can't edit first posts, so we can't change the thread title to remove the question mark.  And since the topic is modding, a thread for managing the modding fair might be best placed in the Modifications forum anyway.

Gumby was here

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#19 09/30/09 14:09

Mukade

exactly my thoughts. I put this one into general, since it wasn't actually modding, but just a consideration. Ill make a new post in Modification Section

About when to start it, we have pretty much all the active members saying yes, no one is forced to participate, so even if some of the other members don't want to participate, they don't have to, and either way, thi'll be going on for awhile, so they will have plenty of time to see this and join in, the poll doesnt have a limit, so people can continue to give input

Last edited by Mukade (09/30/09 14:09)

#20 10/01/09 00:10

TOCS

I would definitely try to contribute with something, but as this grade of school needs a lot of focus, I don't have the time to mod Oni.

So I hope our homework amount won't be too high, when our vacation starts in a few weeks.

#21 10/01/09 10:10

demos_kratos

г_г' GeyserMode thread detected...

Anyway, I agree with this if I could understand it properly ^_^'. We should encourage beginners to do all the things nearly by themselves and giving 'em just simple small advices, right?

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#22 10/01/09 14:10

Mukade

yes, not step by step tutorials, but some of us beginners wont know how to troubleshoot why our scripts and stuff arent working :3

Board footer