Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 08/25/09 14:08

Iritscen

Re: 3ds max -> OniSplit

Man, where is my head lately?  I need more sleep or something.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#52 08/25/09 15:08

Shade

Iritscen wrote:

Man, where is my head lately?  I need more sleep or something.

lol then why are you here checking up new posts? Get some sleep tongue

#53 08/25/09 15:08

Iritscen

Because it's not sleepy-time.  Stay on topic tongue

#54 08/25/09 15:08

Shade

Iritscen wrote:

Because it's not sleepy-time.  Stay on topic tongue

lol look whos talking wink

#55 08/25/09 16:08

bobbysoon

lol   you guys

Part of the reason I've been taking so long with this is I've been working on a 3ds maxscript utility version of OniSplit_GUI, for myself and other 3ds users, if any. Are there any other 3ds users? Anyhow, it handles import/export of dae, extract/create of oncc and/or trbs, moving and unmoving of textures folder, copy to package, launch the package installer and oni. [strike]A simplified gmax version might be possible too[/strike]. I'll see about it if there's any interest.
[+winRar backup/restore]

[edit]SUCCESS, at last! Blasted obscure export options! I had been ending up with some wierd seahorse shaped konoko, but I unchecked all of ColladaMAX's export options, and hwhala!
Capture_08252009_175400.jpg
2-headed Konoko!

btw, a minor thing maybe one of you could mention to Neo, if OniSplit exported in it's dae <unit meter="0.1" name="centimeter"/> instead of <unit meter="10" name="decimeter"/>, Konoko would be 5'7" instead of ~550' tall  tongue

Ok, time for some actual modelling.

Last edited by bobbysoon (08/26/09 11:08)

#56 08/26/09 04:08

demos_kratos

I've remembered 5-ass monkey... man, yer crazy...

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#57 08/26/09 04:08

Shade

bobbysoon wrote:

lol   you guys

Part of the reason I've been taking so long with this is I've been working on a 3ds maxscript utility version of OniSplit_GUI, for myself and other 3ds users, if any. Are there any other 3ds users? Anyhow, it handles import/export of dae, extract/create of oncc and/or trbs, moving and unmoving of textures folder, copy to package, launch the package installer and oni. A simplified gmax version might be possible too. I'll see about it if there's any interest.
[+winRar backup/restore]

[edit]SUCCESS, at last! Blasted obscure export options! I had been ending up with some wierd seahorse shaped konoko, but I unchecked all of ColladaMAX's export options, and hwhala!
Capture_08252009_175400.jpg
2-headed Konoko!

btw, a minor thing maybe one of you could mention to Neo, if OniSplit exported in it's dae <unit meter="0.1" name="centimeter"/> instead of <unit meter="10" name="decimeter"/>, Konoko would be 5'7" instead of ~550' tall  tongue

Ok, time for some actual modelling.

what's this 3D Onisplit for any way? Sorry I haven't been paying attention sad

#58 08/26/09 07:08

love_Oni

Two-headed Konoko. Why not?  tongue

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#59 08/26/09 08:08

Shade

love_Oni wrote:

Two-headed Konoko. Why not?  tongue

lol yeah that would be a good idea XD Man the two-headed Konoko. That's reminds me of the 3 headed Rolf from Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

#60 08/26/09 08:08

Iritscen

Nice job, bobby.  Getting something from your modeler into Oni is always that one big painful first step, but now there's little holding you back in terms of workflow.  Not sure I understand the units issue entirely; I never looked at the measurements of models in my program, but you're saying they're hundreds of feet tall, and I guess OniSplit is scaling them down when importing, or that's just the scale that Oni's models are at?

#61 08/26/09 11:08

bobbysoon

Thanks smile
The latter. It's just the unit definition that's off. No big deal, but fixing it is probably a simple copy/paste.

@Shade:
Capture_08262009_083231.jpg
It still needs some cleanup, and config options for mobility to other users. It's path and file picker buttons are changed by the extract/create drop down list, and it uses tooltips. Hovering the cursor over the execute button shows the full command line. tooltips only work for 3ds 9+.
I think I'm gonna have to retract my statement about a gmax version. I should have thought about that one - a dae exporter would need to be written from scratch in maxscript because of gmax limitations.

#62 08/26/09 13:08

Iritscen

Wow.  I don't know how many people use 3ds here, but I'm sure this will be very helpful for those that do.  Nice work.

Also, I'm not sure if you know this, bobbysoon, but this completes one of the "gaps" in the "promises unfulfilled" category of Oni's history:

Brent Pease wrote:

The tools we use to create the actual geometry of the characters is in 3DStudioMAX, and we have AutoCAD for environments. However what we will do is, I'm about 90 percent sure of this, is give away the file format. So we have exporters that export the data from 3DStudioMAX and into this file format, that goes into our little importer tool, which takes all that data and munges it together to get into the game. So we'll probably give away that tool, even though it's really difficult to use and we'll also give away the file format.

Never happened.  Instead we (by which I mean Ssg and Neo, mostly) spent years figuring out the file format (one "gap" filled in), then building OniSplit (the 'munging' tool, another "gap").  Having a tool to automate extracting the 3ds data represents the fulfilling, by fans, of the final unmet promise in the above statement.

Now we just need to fill in the "smarter AI", "Iron Demon", "BGI" and "multiplayer" gaps, and we've just about got the finished product that Bungie West wanted to make.  wink

#63 08/26/09 13:08

Shade

bobbysoon wrote:

Thanks smile
The latter. It's just the unit definition that's off. No big deal, but fixing it is probably a simple copy/paste.

@Shade:
It still needs some cleanup, and config options for mobility to other users. It's path and file picker buttons are changed by the extract/create drop down list, and it uses tooltips. Hovering the cursor over the execute button shows the full command line. tooltips only work for 3ds 9+.
I think I'm gonna have to retract my statement about a gmax version. I should have thought about that one - a dae exporter would need to be written from scratch in maxscript because of gmax limitations.

looks really nice. can you tell me what this is used for?

#64 08/26/09 15:08

bobbysoon

Iritscen wrote:

Now we just need to fill in the "smarter AI", "Iron Demon", "BGI" and "multiplayer" gaps

I'd like to animate, more than I'd like to model. Animating sounds more usefull.
What do you mean by "smarter AI"? That sounds like it'd involve coding
What's "BGI"?

nope, I didn't know. I'm curious what kind of automation you have in mind, if by automation you mean batch-processing of, say, a folder or a set of files

Shade wrote:

can you tell me what this is used for?

Basically it's like OniSplit_GUI, integrated into 3ds

Last edited by bobbysoon (08/26/09 15:08)

#65 08/26/09 16:08

Iritscen

bobbysoon wrote:

It does, that's why it's not very feasible now.  Some things can be faked with scripting.  It's something that's occasionally played with by some of the modders.

What's "BGI"?

As incomplete as this page is, it sums up what we know about BGI and where we might take the idea.  Think "men in black" -- a more shadowy organization than the Syndicate, always watching events from a distance.

nope, I didn't know. I'm curious what kind of automation you have in mind

I was referring to your tool, bro smile   The interface that it provides, coupled with OniSplit, is the equivalent of the tools Bungie West used to make Oni in the first place (and once said they would release).  I just thought that it made for an interesting historical footnote to point that out.

I'd like to animate, more than I'd like to model. Animating sounds more usefull.

Indeed, we don't have anyone doing animation, although in "anyone"'s defense, we weren't able to import animations until a couple weeks ago cool  Also, in the case of the Iron Demon, it's already been modeled.  I've even seen it animated by a fan, but I don't know if we have that version.  In any case, the animation for that can be fairly easily made again if we have to, especially with Oni's trailer to use as a reference.  If that sounds like an interesting task, let us know.  But I should put a big caveat here, which is that we may not be able to make it work in-game yet.  That's the whole reason Bungie never put it in the game (besides the fact that it would have appeared in the BGI level that was cut): it needed to sort of be custom-fit into the game to work properly and they needed time they didn't have.  We might be able to hack it in, but I don't know if we're sure about that yet.  We haven't devoted our attention to the problem in a while.

ID aside, there are other needs for animation too, but at the moment I can't get the list together in my head.  I'll look into it some more and get back to you.

#66 08/26/09 17:08

Shade

bobbysoon wrote:
Iritscen wrote:

Now we just need to fill in the "smarter AI", "Iron Demon", "BGI" and "multiplayer" gaps

What's "BGI"?

nope, I didn't know. I'm curious what kind of automation you have in mind, if by automation you mean batch-processing of, say, a folder or a set of files

Shade wrote:

can you tell me what this is used for?

Basically it's like OniSplit_GUI, integrated into 3ds

So this is like the normal OniSplit but in a 3D form? And easy to use?

#67 08/26/09 17:08

Iritscen

Shade, it's for 3ds max.  Unless you use 3ds, it doesn't affect your life at all  tongue

#68 08/26/09 20:08

dream996

what exactly is this thing ???i never seen it b4

PunBB bbcode test

#69 08/26/09 20:08

Iritscen

Come on guys, we're not going to answer the same questions multiple times on one page.  Don't be lazy.

#70 08/27/09 05:08

dream996

where can i download it

PunBB bbcode test

#71 08/28/09 18:08

bobbysoon

I haven't uploaded it yet. Still working on it, making it more complete. Note, it's not a .exe. It's an extension to 3ds max, preferrably version 9 and up - If you don't have that, then it's just a useless text file with a .ms extension.
I was getting it to build it's UI on-the-fly, based on OniSplit's -help output, but I see now that the -help output is a bit neglected... (Neooo...) I'll put that one on hold for now.
Where was I? Right, animations... and, Iron Demon - where do I find that model?

#72 08/28/09 18:08

EdT
Website

#73 08/29/09 03:08

bobbysoon

canIborrowAdollar.jpg
I like it! Imported just fine into 3ds. I can simplify it's geometry. Already started. No stoppin meh. Here I go ... 30,138 ... 27,482 ... 24,873 ...
Target polycount is ~2000, correct?

#74 08/29/09 07:08

Iritscen

No more than 1024 vertices for each of the 19 parts, and all polys must be triangles.  It *is* broken into 19 body parts, isn't it?  I don't know anything about the model.

But, um, which model is that?  17seconds', or Ashley Davison's?  Because, as noted on the wiki page, Ashley's is probably too high-poly to use in Oni.  I mean, the amount of simplification you'd need to do is massive if it's really got 30,000 polys.  It doesn't need a tenth that many.  Also, perhaps more importantly, this model doesn't have the guns that the original ID did (see the pic on the wiki).  Compare to the original thing, below.  So, as nice as this model looks, you might be barking up the wrong tree!

IronDemon.jpg

#75 08/29/09 10:08

EdT
Website

You'll want this version: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/characte … on_oni.zip
Its already set up to be imported into Oni.

bobbysoon, do you think you can make a walking animation for it?

To all: How's this for a concept, create a ONWC gun for the Iron Demon so it can fire its weapons? Possible?

Board footer