Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 07/09/09 08:07

EdT
Website

Re: Oni Intel-native build for OS X

MrProphecy: We are still waiting for the next release of the Intel beta.  But in the meantime, we have patched the current version of Oni to run on Intel Macs, its just not the native version.  You can get it here: http://edt.oni2.net/files/Oni2.zip

#27 08/01/09 13:08

Dirk Gently
Website

This is a bit of a bump, but if possible I would like to help test. What information do you need from me?

#28 08/01/09 13:08

EdT
Website

Hi Dirk, welcome to OCF, its great to have another Mac user on board.  Currently, we are waiting for the next release of the Intel build.  As soon as it becomes available we can add you to the list.

#29 08/16/09 09:08

seanparkerfilms

Are there plans to have the Intel-native build work alongside the 7th Anniversary Edition? I love the new content (from 7AE) but it's buggy as heck on my computer, so it would be great if the two could co-operate.

I'm interested in participating in future releases as well. Thanks a ton for taking on such a project — we all greatly appreciate your labor of love!

#30 08/16/09 09:08

dream996

OS X ?what is this all abt

PunBB bbcode test

#31 08/16/09 10:08

Dirk Gently
Website

Currently the public release version of Oni for mac is compiled for PPC architecture. It can be run on an intel based mac, but it does not run very well. This is about getting a version of oni that is optimized for a mac with intel architecture so it can run natively instead of through code translation.

#32 08/16/09 10:08

Iritscen

seanparkerfilms wrote:

Are there plans to have the Intel-native build work alongside the 7th Anniversary Edition? I love the new content (from 7AE) but it's buggy as heck on my computer, so it would be great if the two could co-operate.

If the AE is crashing the Intel build, I think that it's simply bringing out existing bugs in the build that will have to be squashed, since all we're doing is substituting some data for other data.

Also, the PPC build has been patched in a number of ways, so without those patches certain things should be expected to crash the Intel build.  We are not devoting much time yet to patching the build because the patches would all be undone by the next build to come along.  But when the final build is released, I think that it will probably be at least as easy to patch as the Omni port.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#33 08/16/09 20:08

seanparkerfilms

What I meant was that AE (or native Oni) on my Intel Mac is just buggy on its own anyways (due to the Omni port being optimized for PPC). I haven't yet tried the beta Intel build, I was just curious to know if AE will work with it when the Intel Native app is post-beta.

#34 08/16/09 20:08

Iritscen

Oh, I see.  Well, um, I would expect the Intel build to work with the AE, yes.  But I'm more interested in how the PPC build is buggy for you, because that's not the norm for the rest of us Mac users, and most of us are on Intel machines.  Could you make a topic in the Help forum describing your issues?  We'll help you out.

#35 08/16/09 22:08

Dirk Gently
Website

EdT might know how the intel beta performs with the AE mod for Oni.

#36 08/16/09 22:08

Iritscen

EdT and I can both confirm that it is not working with the AE, but as I said, the AE is almost certainly revealing certain bugs in the build that would need to be fixed anyway, so in time things will work out.  Right now we're just waiting patiently on Edwin to fix the critical bugs that have been reported so far, then we can get to diagnosing why AE data is crashing the build.

#37 08/16/09 23:08

seanparkerfilms

Well, perhaps "buggy" is too strong a word — there are some performance issues, primarily in the mouselook controls that are a bit awkward at times. Sometimes the mouselook hangs for a bit or briefly doesn't respond, and the sensitivity feels a bit off. I played Oni for years on a PPC iMac running OS 9 and had fantastic feedback for the mouse which made fighting a real breeze. On my Intel Mac, it's certainly playable but I do have to fight against the controls a little bit and it's a bit harder to "choreograph" a fight the way I want it to play out, if that makes sense. If I hadn't played the game for so long beforehand, I might not notice the difference to be as pronounced as it feels to me now.

Last edited by seanparkerfilms (08/16/09 23:08)

#38 08/17/09 08:08

Iritscen

That is a known issue for a few of us.  I personally find it incredibly irritating when the mouse freezes up.  I have been planning to look into the problem, but simply haven't had any time to do so.  At the very least, a fix will come when the Intel build is done.  If I have any news before then about fixing the PPC version, I'll be sure to announce it somewhere.

#39 10/28/09 13:10

Diaboy

I'd be more than happy to give a hand with this, as I was saddened by the lack of Oni on my new Mac Pro! I'll pop in my details to the email. Any news on how the next build is going?

#40 10/29/09 01:10

Stevinlewis

Welcome Diaboy. And wow another honoured guest.

#41 10/29/09 09:10

Dirk Gently
Website

Some sort of update or news would be nice to those that have the beta. I understand this will be a LONG process and a while to complete but some sort of update would be nice.

#42 10/29/09 09:10

EdT
Website

The update is...  there is none...

We have not heard anything until now.  Be assured, once there is any sort of news it will be posted.

#43 11/05/09 10:11

JadeWolf

That would be amazing. May I ask for a place too ?

Does this guy have any contact details apart from that ... this project sjhould not die out.

#44 11/05/09 11:11

Dirk Gently
Website

EdT, I sent you another email with a different crash log than the usual one. Hope it helps.

#45 11/05/09 11:11

Iritscen

JadeWolf wrote:

That would be amazing. May I ask for a place too ?

EdT's the one managing this on our side, but I know what he'll say: since the project is not making progress at the moment, we're not accepting new beta testers (the current version has its crashiness very well-documented already).  However, by having made a post here, we can note you down to put onto the list when/if this project starts back up again.

Does this guy have any contact details apart from that ... this project sjhould not die out.

I can't really answer for edddeduck, but I seem to be in a mood to speak for other people, so I guess I will give a response on his behalf too ^_^  He and the other guys at Feral are in the holiday rush now, so I'd be surprised if there was any news about this project for the next 2-3 months.  But rest assured that EdT and I are still in contact with Feral and are going to do our best to make sure that we Mac users are not forgotten.

It's great to see continued interest in an Intel build, but I think the proper attitude to have about this project is cautious optimism, and patient hopefulness that it can be completed.  edddeduck was working on it in his spare time, and out of the goodness of his heart as an Oni fan, and he's got a lot of other things he probably should be working on that will actually make Feral money.  So if he can justify coming back to it, he will.  If not, we'll just find another way to keep the Mac side on track for the future; if this community's good at one thing, it's making the best of what we have.

#46 02/12/10 19:02

KiwiGoneDutch

I await patiently  cool

yikes Oni's been on the planet for 9years now wow! and still there's not a single game out there that even comes close to it.

#47 04/09/10 11:04

edddeduck

I am back again! Sorry for the silly long delay. BioShock, Rome and Brothers In Arms are put to bed so I have had a spare weekend to have a go on Oni. Here is a brief list of what I have up and running.

* Running Intel native 10.6
* Fixed Enter key mapping from Omni OS X build when in Developer Mode
* Enabled Cheats without needing game completion or hacks
* Enabled Developer Mode without needing hacks
* Re-enabled many more of the Bungie Scripting Calls from the "beta4" version

I hope to get Sparkle updating and FSAA added then release a Public beta but again this does depend on time available but I am very hopeful that this will get done (before the end of 2010)  big_smile

Have a good weekend all, if you have a Mac and are interested in helping send me a PM and I will do my best to reply to you and get you a copy of the beta.

Cheers,

Edwin

#48 04/09/10 14:04

EdT
Website

eddeduck: Here's a simple plan for Oni Intel, make the Mac version so awesome, that PC users will want to buy a Mac to play it!!!  big_smile

#49 04/09/10 14:04

Dirk Gently
Website

EdT wrote:

eddeduck: Here's a simple plan for Oni Intel, make the Mac version so awesome, that PC users will want to buy a Mac to play it!!!  big_smile

Yes indeed!

#50 04/09/10 17:04

Gumby

HE'S ALIVE!

Edit: MSAA too? Lucky ducks.

Eddie, do you need an update of the WMDD (menu) file to add an AA slider? I don't know how well the tools you have for Oni content generation work, but it would only take me a few minutes to whip one up if you wanted it.

Edit2: Or maybe a listbox might be better. Probably would be. smile Your choice.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer