Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/19/08 08:10

MKUltra

What Made You "Fall In Love" With Oni?

There are many, many things to love about Oni. It is an old title, but still, as you can see here, has a strong fanbase and sees use to this day. People even go out of their way to modify and adjust the game for extended playability.

I remember when I played the demo, got hooked, and then went out and bought the gazme as soon as I was able. I even replaced my video card in the system I was using then, just to play the game with no lag, and was floored by the crispness and beauty of the graphics. the story was another driving force for playing the game, and the voice overs were of a good quality for a game of this caliber too. There was really nothing to not love about this game, but for everyone, I am sure there is something, that one thing that endeared the game to you. For you, what was it?

Watashi wa no Oni... Watashi wa hitori desu....

#2 10/19/08 10:10

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Re: What Made You "Fall In Love" With Oni?

10 years ago (oh my) I found out Bungie was making an anime-ish 3d martial arts sci-fi game, and I was instantly hooked.

That's basically it. smile

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#3 10/19/08 11:10

EdT
Website

I liked the way player movement was handled.  It was easy to control Konoko's movement, not like the other games at the time such as Tomb Raider.  Of course all the other things you mentioned were a factor smile

MKUltra: Welcome to the forum
Regarding Oni fan fiction, you might be interested in this: http://wiki.oni2.net/Restless_Souls
You can also use the wiki to start up your fan fiction for Oni, and use the talk page for comments.
Finally, do you have a link for your fanfiction for Star Fleet Command 3?

#4 10/19/08 11:10

aneep

it has anime influence
the first trailer was cool

-aneep-

#5 10/19/08 12:10

Gumby

The fighting system. I haven't found a game that tops it yet.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 10/19/08 12:10

MKUltra

EdT wrote:

I liked the way player movement was handled.  It was easy to control Konoko's movement, not like the other games at the time such as Tomb Raider.  Of course all the other things you mentioned were a factor smile

MKUltra: Welcome to the forum
Regarding Oni fan fiction, you might be interested in this: http://wiki.oni2.net/Restless_Souls
You can also use the wiki to start up your fan fiction for Oni, and use the talk page for comments.
Finally, do you have a link for your fanfiction for Star Fleet Command 3?

Excuse me while I "springboard" off your post a bit wink

First, thank you for the welcome. It is nice to find a community that is passionate about this grand, old game. Personally, I still love to play it because it opens the door for many ways to play... One can "self challenge" to do the game with or without the "cheats", or in the form of another character (Shinatama cannot fight), or perhaps challenge oneself to use no weapons at all or only one particular weapon. My personal faveorite is the "Mercury bow". The real crown of th3e game for me is in the replay factor.

As for my fiction, I have not webbed it. It remained on my hard drive as a personal work and takes the form of a "white paper" (I think is the correct term) regarding the starship upgrades possible in SFCIII, how they are implemented and from the perspective of an officer at the Antares IV shipyards engaged in refit work on starships either supplied by the Federation - Klingon Alliance for research or ships captured from the Romulans or Borg. I did not expect to have the document go so in depth as it has, but it would seem that it has turned out this way.

Unfortunately, I may have to redo the document from scratch, since I have recently had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP sad I am hoping I have it backed up on my Pocket PC, but I do not hold out too much hope in this area... However, it may be for the best, as the information in the document was rather haphazard, and I was looking to restructure the story/time line anyway.

I will take a peek at the page you directed me to, and see if I can generate anything useful to the project.

#7 10/19/08 14:10

Lithium

WEll my sister got it from a friend. She kinda hated it cuz it was "hard" i played it and fell in love with the story

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#8 10/19/08 15:10

Tantir

When I first time found this site, playd OTA, and wrote my first scripted mod wink I fall in love.

#9 10/19/08 21:10

ONIrules

I got Oni since I'm like a third grader. Then I played and got scared since that damn engineer killed me in the first level. Then in fifth grade I play it back and beat the whole game. Then 2 years later OTA came out. I kept playing. That's how I love Oni a lot.

Last edited by ONIrules (10/19/08 21:10)

#10 10/19/08 21:10

Barneyhater
Website

Geez its been so long since I've started playing Oni... But it must have been around 2nd or 3rd grade. It was really great, I remember getting hooked on the airport level of the demo (though I was always so scared to fight the red strikers because I might die, and I would find ways to lure one of them over with a gun and kill him first... anyways) I always had a fun and challenging time beating it. Hehe I remember getting freaked out over Mutant Muro... Ah the memories smile.

"It is not hatred but indifference that will destroy us." -Unknown
"One death is a tragedy. The death of a million is a statistic" -Joseph Stalin

#11 10/19/08 21:10

Your_Mom
Website

I found it one day, when I was in like 5th grade. I sucked. So I finished the game and liked it, so I tried to do what I used to do those days - look for more games like it. Except I couldn't. Nothing had a H2H and gun system anywhere close to the one in Oni...so I came back and read a lot on scripting at OniMaster's site...and sorta picked it up myself. I've kind of put it down for now, but I still haven't managed to find something like Oni after all these years, mostly because I wasn't looking.

droid803sig.jpg

#12 10/19/08 22:10

MKUltra

Oh wow... I am beginning to feel like the oldest person in here... Well, this is awkward :-/

Also: LOL.

#13 10/19/08 22:10

Gumby

And how old are you? (You don't have to answer that tongue)

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#14 10/19/08 22:10

EdT
Website

MKUltra: I can assure you that you are not the oldest person here...

#15 10/20/08 00:10

MKUltra

Gumby wrote:

LOL... it is not a big deal... I am 31

#16 10/20/08 08:10

Iritscen

Yeah, a lot of the juniors just posted in a row; it makes the community look younger than it really is :-)  I didn't play Oni until a couple years after high school (as in, that's when it came out).  And I'm not older than a bunch of others here.

At the time, a buddy from back in HS gave me the game without my asking for it, IIRC.  I played it a bit and was impressed, but I don't remember beating it or even close to beating it.  I lost the game and forgot all about it.  A couple years ago, maybe three, I went on a nostalgia kick, remembering the great games I used to have and play, which were left behind in the era of the Classic Mac OS.  No new Mac games held any interest for me.  At that point I rediscovered Marathon as AlephOne.  Some time later I remembered Oni, and wondered if there was a community for them like there was for A1, and found the OCF.  I dropped in, immediately started bothering people and volunteering to do too many things at once, and the rest is history ;-p

It's hard to believe, but my time in the community will reach one year, in just two days.  I still feel quite new in some ways.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#17 06/07/09 11:06

Leus
Website

I agree with Gumby.  The fighting system is unprecedented and unmatched.  That's what really does it for me.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#18 06/07/09 12:06

Mukade

For me the main thing was the hand to hand combat, ive never come across a game with such elaborate fighting, and you can even change into each character which each a diffrent style! they ddint just stop with konoko. Also the storyline is awesome, the graphics run smooth (its an old game, but i like simpler graphics)
and, just the originality of it. Brilliant stuff imo

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#19 06/07/09 12:06

myplea1

Yes i love it because of the fact that almost every charecter has their own fighting style and so you can train with ani which one you want or all of them because of all the techniques of killing in the game you never get bored but what'lll really make this game completly unbeatable by anithing is a efficent multiplayer (see gumbys trailer its pretty good) and a graphics tune-up

Awol

#20 06/07/09 12:06

Mukade

and a graphics tune-up

maybe a bit sharper graphics, but other then that, its fine smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#21 06/07/09 14:06

Lithium

MKUltra wrote:
Gumby wrote:

LOL... it is not a big deal... I am 31

OMFGWTFNFWHFSNWIGNCSBTO         Well my friends dad is almost 40 (or is 40) and he still plays. I wonder if theres any one older than 31 here.

#22 06/07/09 15:06

adorage

I was 11* and had just started doing karate and one day my dad said he had a demo of "a girl doing martial arts or something". It was English and I hardly understood a word but somehow beat the demo levels anyway (by beating up everyone and enabling all the consoles)

I still remember how amazed I was by the rug in the airport because it looked so "realistic" and had such "great, detailed graphics", lol... I wasn't used to very high standards.

*...so in case you were wondering if that's me on the avatar, here's your answer.

Last edited by adorage (06/07/09 15:06)

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#23 06/07/09 15:06

Mukade

i was even younger then you when i started playing lol >.>

#24 06/07/09 16:06

Ire Yosuke
Website

Fighting system yes. But heck, you got to kick ass in 3d with no rounds ! Character motion. Yep. Those moves and detailed models. One of a kind thing. And when I unlocked shapeshifter.... I got to use so much cool chars/moves. And I got stuck with Blackops tongue

"There are two things that cannot be ignored in life. One is a cannon, the other, a cannon ball." - Commander Patrick "Bombard" Bomba

#25 06/07/09 18:06

Lithium

I was 13, and some months later i started doing tae kwon do. Im still fat but at least i can TRY to do some oni moves. So far i can only do some kicks. a standard male (like the male civilians) punch punch kick kick combo. Uhh. I tried mukades punch punch kick kick kick kcik kick. Combo but all i got was a trip. And a twisted leg. And if i was 8 i would be good at oni. Seriously, i pwned people at tekken when i was 8. And i started playing when i was 3. so that proves my life is a failure.

Board footer