Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/29/07 07:04

Margot

Ian Patterson's fixed EXE for German ONI

Hello, I'm new to the board.

I got a German installation of Oni and of course I got the Blam-Error 'cause I use Win XP.
So I tried Ian Patterson's fixed EXE.
The game runs (yeah) but the menu, the subtitles and basically all kind of text is unreadable 'cause this patched EXE can't handle the German umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß).
I tried Ian Patterson's original patch, but the patch says it couldn't recognize my version and therefore applied the english patch which leads to the same problem mentioned above.

To cut things short: Is there any possibility to get a German fixed EXE / Patch ?
Thanks for any help,
greetings, Margot.

#2 04/29/07 13:04

geyser
Website

Re: Ian Patterson's fixed EXE for German ONI

It's news to me that Ian's "Pattch" doesn't handle the German engine. Maybe yours is copy-protected (what's the size of the EXE?).
Then again, it could be that he never supported too many foreign versions by lack of requests and feedback.
Most Germans I know didn't have the Blam, and AFAIK no one has been distributing a patched German version.
Dunno why, seems to be due to the operating systems, GFX hardware and drivers used by most Germans.

Three things:

0) By updating and configuring your drivers, you should be able to eliminate the cause of the Blam on your GFX card's side.
Oni Blams because it receives a list of OpenGL extensions that's larger than it expects. See HERE for a fix.
If you have an Nvidia, those instructions should work for you. If you have an ATI, the process is largely similar.

1) Daodan (an Oni-enhancing DLL) will eventually be able to patch the standard English version so that it accepts accentuated and Cyrillic characters.

2) Meanwhile, you can use the Russian engine. It lacks a few features of the English one, but they are not relevant to gameplay.
On one hand, it handles accentuated characters (tested with German and French versions). On the other, it includes the Dev Mode.
Go HERE and download both files (EXE and DLL) to your Oni folder, then run OniRu.NoCD.exe.
Tell us how it goes. Be sure to check out further tips on the Dev Mode and other release notes. You'll be playing Oni with Daodan v0.6.4beta smile

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 04/29/07 14:04

Margot

Thanks geyser for your fast reply.

I got an Nvidia Card so I tried out this hint first. I found the option "Extension limit" exactly like mentioned in this guide. But unfortunately I can't switch it on! The switch is just inactive. sad Don't know why, maybe my gfx card and / or driver doesn't feature this option anymore.

So I went for the next hint. I tried the Russian EXE. It works fine. I can read all the German text with umlauts. Thanks very much. smile

#4 04/29/07 14:04

Tracker

It's true, that the Ian's Patch doesn't support the German umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß).
I think, you have downloaded the OniforXP.zip from the following link:
http://oni.bungie.org/help/winxp.html
With this version I have the same problems.

I have patched my German Oni version with the "Ian's patch" from here and it works fine:
http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/Troubles … _and_links

If you want to try it out, download the onipatch.zip, unzip it and start the onipatch.exe.
Open your German original Oni.exe with it and save it under another name (e.g. Oni_new.exe).
Rename your original ONI.exe (e.g. Oni_old.exe).
Rename the Oni_new.exe to Oni.exe.
Now you can play the patched German ONI version with German umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß).

Last edited by Tracker (04/29/07 15:04)

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#5 04/29/07 15:04

geyser
Website

Tracker, Margot already tried that. His/her EXE probably involves a heavy copy protection (encryption). Ian's "Pattch" smile  requires that the EXE not be encrypted.

Margot, as for the OpenGL extension limit switch... Make sure you have the latest drivers for your Nvidia.

As for the Russian EXE, you may note that a few pieces of text won't render right, more specifically all the regionalized text that's part of the engine.
Namely, the confirmation messages for the original cheatcodes and the words "Save point". New cheats will show fine: "x", "thedayismine", etc.
The other additional cheats are "tellmetheversion", "bigbadboss", "feeltheforce" and "meleeplease" (the latter likely to change to "bulletproof")
Since the updates do Daodan seem to keep coming, we'll have to organize the docs and downloads a bit. Will do that ASAP.

It's true that the Ian's Patch doesn't support the German umlauts (ä, ö, ü, ß).

It's the English version that doesn't support accents, and it just so happens that the English EXE is the one that was hosted by Harry and other people (as a matter of fact, many people happen to play the English version, either because they couldn't find a regionalized one, or because they think the regionalization sucks).

Rename your original ONI.exe (e.g. Oni_old.exe).
Rename the Oni_new.exe to Oni.exe.

That renaming is not necessary. The original Oni will crash if you rename it, but Oni_new.exe will run fine.

Last edited by geyser (04/29/07 16:04)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

Board footer