Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/21/07 10:04

ZDLO

Oni works TOO slow! CPU Usage=100%, etc

It's a pity that somebody remembers me as "Movie Maker" wink. But nowadays I can't make movies or just normal play! So its looks like I dying in your opinion...

So I have two problems:
1) Try to play normal (without lags). -> Main problem in trails after blows, WMC (normal fire only) and "lagy places" (see it in my observations and attached image).
2) Try to play normal and record movie with fraps. -> Main problem in CPU usage.
The first one is the easiest one. To play normal I can set lowest quality (see in my observations) or remove only lagy trails. So anyway I have to make worse Oni "not brilliant graphics/effects"...
I don't know how I can solve the second problem anyway. I played Oni enough, so I don't want to solve only the first problem, especially in that way. I want to solve only two problems in different way.

Some information about my old and new systems:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz (with HT technology)
ATI Radeon 9600 128MB
512 MB of RAM
WinXP SP1

Intel Celeron 4 1.7GHz
ATI Radeon 9600 128MB
512 MB of RAM
WinXP SP2

Please don't ask about which from they is old, which is new and why smile.

So as you see there are small difference in OS and great difference in processors. I don't know the real difference between SP1 and SP2 for Oni, so I will talk only about processor.
I always have 100% CPU usage when I run Oni with Celeron and 50% CPU usage when I run Oni with P4. And the same thing with programs running under DOS. So its looks like HT is not just a words and main advantage of P4 is not in frequency but in HT. But anyway Oni runs faster with P4. So main advantage: I have 50% free for any others tasks, like fraps which need a lot of this. And its work normal! What's about Celeron - I even can't start fraps when Oni is running (its take 12-16 sec), so recording movie is impossible!

Graphics card: yes, I try to experiment with this because at the beginning I have only GeForce4 MX440 64MB. When I try running Oni with nVidia drivers I see "Blam, Oni crashed". When I try to run it with MS drivers I have only 1-2FTP and I think it's terrible smile. So that why I change it on "old-good Radeon". But game still work slow (12-60 FPS in different situations, even 5.4FPS - my record smile ). Yes, I try to use different drivers - it's don't change the situation.

There are three things that makes mine Oni works lagy: Muro and Mukado with theirs trails after blows, WMC with normal fire mode, and "lagy places".
I even don't understand why an only Muro and Mukado trails makes game work too slow? For example Konoko kick_heavy makes it work slow only on 8-12FPS (So I still have 48-52FPS that is normal). And what is interesting (see it in my observations): Ninja trails don't make Oni run so slow like Mukado trails (but I see difference only in colors)!
What is uniting Mukado, Muro trails and WMC? For me only the red color tongue (It's stupid opinion, I know). But Elite's blows with red trails works fine. I try to change trails options with OUP, but I don't find real difference between Muro and Konoko Punch/Kick_Heavy. So I can only remove it (what is really help) yet, but not fix.
What is distinguishing normal place from lagy place? I even don't know it. Looks like it specific textures or just quantity of objects/polygons. Sometimes you have to rotate camera on 5-10 degree to see the difference (always 30 or 60FPS) like in mine attached image which I made on the roofs SP3. Also there are no differences between normal or lagy place for lowest FPS with lagy trails (You will have the same lowest FPS when fight vs Muro at lagy or at normal place for example).
Here are some observations:

lowest quality  640x480 16 bits - Muro vs Muro using trails - 30FPS at least (game works normal for my mind).
lowest quality 1024x768 32 bits - the same as above (So it's looks like it not depend on resolution, only on quality)
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Idle with Daodan shine at "normal place" - 60 fps (just great).
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Muro with/without overpower using trails - 8-24FPS.
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Muro vs Muro with trails - my record 5.4FPS! (So you are understand what is happen when I try to play in the last scene with Muro, Griffin, Konoko, Black Opses, Reds, Elites, Ninja...)
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Ninja kick_heavy  - more than 28FPS (at normal place)
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Mukado kick_heavy - more than 11FPS (at the same normal place)
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Normal type of fire from WMC maded by Barabas - 8-12FPS everywhere. Mukado fireball or Stream cannon works more faster - 24-42FPS.
lowest quality  640x480 16 bits - There are no difference between normal and lagy places (always 60 fps when idle).
highest quality  640x480 16 bits - 54-60FPS in lagy place, always 60FPS in normal place when idle.
highest quality 1024x768 32 bits - Idle, normal place - always 59-60FPS, lagy place - always 29-30FPS.

So I see only four ways out:
1) Remove/repair lagy trails or set lowest quality only for play.
2) Make upgrade for mine computer for normal play and for creating movies.
3) Work under Win98 (Hmm, it can really helps me?)
4) Try to fix Oni engine with your help (to make it use processor correctly) for all.
5) Do not play Oni sad.

Only the fourth is suit to me. That's why I post it... A little panic gets into my mind...
Please, help me with something or give another way out.

PS: Yea, I try to run Oni with Ian's patch (although it's only for "Blam" as I know). It's not change the situation.
PPS: Yea, Developer Mode just awesome! I see CPU usage 45-55% by Oni when I set Oni on pause. So I even can create/open Text Document for 0.5 sec to write my notes smile. I even sometimes see 75FPS at "normal place" - possible?

Last edited by ZDLO (04/21/07 11:04)

Unfortunately I become offline at last time.
My english still bad. I'm sorry for it...

#2 04/21/07 16:04

s10k
Website

Re: Oni works TOO slow! CPU Usage=100%, etc

You can use your nvidia card see my tutorial here:
http://script10000.oni2.net/patches.html

#3 05/12/07 08:05

ZDLO

Re: Oni works TOO slow! CPU Usage=100%, etc

You can use your nvidia card see my tutorial here:
http://script10000.oni2.net/patches.html

I have sold my old NVidia card already. tongue
But thanks a lot for you help. Maybe I'll try something new. smile

But anyway Oni run too slow with a lot of guys. It's work slow even I stand very far from they. So I can't play in arena mode or just try to pass level without killing people. I have to use Save Points for reboot scripts...
That is why I shelve my complaints about graphics card...

Unfortunately I become offline at last time.
My english still bad. I'm sorry for it...

Board footer