Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 06/09/09 04:06

Stevinlewis

Re: What Made You "Fall In Love" With Oni?

my story is almost the same as ONIrulez i was killed by some guy wit the red eye or what i used to call then and thought "This game is impossible" so i unintsalled it.Ive had nightmares a couple of times after that incident and i tried to lock it outta my mind.

After a year or so i remembered how much i loved a gun-game but i wished i could also do H2H. so i promised myself i would complete the game even if it means over coming my fears of that dumb egineer

and now after 4~5 years of that game i look back and say "whos scared now huh?"

#27 06/11/09 00:06

Morph

back in the old days (wow, sayin that when i'm just 19, haha) I found the game's demo on a PC World disc of my fater. So me and my bro tried it, and we just loved it. We enjoyed it as kids, because there was a lot of punching and kicking, and it looked good aswell.

But if I play it these days, the H2H fighting system's both complex and simple at the same time, and that makes me still love the game. Bungie managed to make it easy-to-learn-hard-to-master. And that makes it really really good, with the harder, and most revarding combos (backbreaker anyone?:D).

And no, there's no game that even gets close to this one in matter of gameplay. The only game I remember that is about H2H combat is Jade Empire, but even that has a quite simple fighting system, besides, I'd rather call that an action-RPG than a real H2H action game.

#28 12/02/09 06:12

northero
Website

The only game tat is CLOSE to oni is star wars jedi knight jedi academy coz it has combats and guns and I found oni when my dad bought me a computer in 2002 and they gave us 4x4 evolution (car racing game ) and oni. I was primary 1 den (7) and tried it out and got real excited because it was the 1st game. I completed the game at the end of my primary 1 days and uninstalled it. I installed it back only when I was in primary 6 (12) and started playing I got bored and went to youtube to check some videos on oni and found u people thanks to script10k's videos and leading me to this forum big_smile

Last edited by northero (12/02/09 06:12)

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#29 12/02/09 06:12

Gumby

nothero, do you still play JKA?

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#30 12/02/09 08:12

Tudorge
Website

eh, i think i was in kindergarten when i played.
I was with my dad in a pc shop (some friendly people there) we visited for tips & all that stuff that i didn't knew then.
Oh well, while my dad was talking, a girl showed me that game, she put lvl 3 on , played a bit and said it was too hard for me ( i was 5-6 then, i really think i was in kindergarten then) , yet it didn't seem that hard.
Oh well they gave us a copy, and after that me and my sister loved it! I never play games long term, because its repetitive, so i did make a few breaks. But now I play again big_smile.
I love Oni mostly for its feel. I don't like animes much but i don't get any resemblence in my head between oni and a cartoon.
Its because it has style, oho oho.

Last edited by Tudorge (12/02/09 08:12)

#31 12/02/09 09:12

TOCS

Well, I was only like 7 years old, and I had never seen a game combining martial arts with gunplay, so that was kinda new to me (well I had game called Fighting Force for the PlayStation, but it wasen't that good). I was hooked just after playing the demo back in 2001.

#32 12/02/09 14:12

Leus
Website

Even if Oni had no guns I still would have never seen another game like it.  The melee combat system is unprecedented and unmatched in my experience.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#33 12/02/09 15:12

Mukade

It was my first action game i think... I didn't have the same appreciation for it as i do today, since no other games have come out like it

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#34 12/02/09 16:12

myplea1

Mukade wrote:

It was my first action game i think... I didn't have the same appreciation for it as i do today, since no other games have come out like it

Same as him actually.
Wonderful game, great controls, fighting system, and everything else you expect me to mention.

Awol

#35 12/02/09 16:12

Jon God

Leus wrote:

Even if Oni had no guns I still would have never seen another game like it.  The melee combat system is unprecedented and unmatched in my experience.

Pretty much, like Myth, There has been no other games that have come out since then that have even really been similar.

Makes the fanbases for these games very strong since they don't just 'upgrade' to newer games.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#36 12/03/09 14:12

Shade

Eh, I'm 18 and to tell you the truth, I've played Oni for YEARS and I've forgot how I fell in love with this awesome game LOL But what I like about the game is, The gameplay. story lines, fighting, the shooting, etc. It's amazing, They really need to make a Sequel of this game. Doesn't Microsoft own Oni now? Even if they did, that would suck. They ruined Myth series. Myth The Wolf Age sucked. But that's just my opinion too much blowing stuff up in that game. Myth I and II were good.

Last edited by Shade (12/03/09 14:12)

#37 12/03/09 14:12

Gumby

T2 owns both Oni and Myth.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#38 12/03/09 19:12

northero
Website

Gumby wrote:

nothero, do you still play JKA?

loook at ur new messages

You can fool some of the people all the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time

#39 12/06/09 20:12

gorilla325

fighting gameplay, and the movements.  i played demo for so long which was fun enough for me!  but i had to try the whole thing, i bought the whole game and finished it eveutally....and many many times ever since.  don't care about the story at all, if the donkey kong had the same fighting gameplay and the movements control, i will love donkey kong too! 

i quote one of the best review line of Oni from Avault.com:

"Even a partial list of her moves sounds like a TV commercial for Ginsu knives: “She hits, kicks, runs, rolls, jumps, slides and flips with the greatest of ease! The amazing Konoko!”(Review by: David Laprad) " 

yeah, that's how i feel about the game!  it's the saddest thing that no other game is like this...before or after...

Last edited by gorilla325 (12/06/09 20:12)

#40 12/06/09 21:12

Leus
Website

I agree, Gorilla.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#41 12/09/09 00:12

GlenP

When I was in 2nd-3rd grade we had PONG:
o300b.jpg

The first time I saw the trailer and demo for Oni was on a Bungie CD bundle, the Mac Action Sack or something like that.  I was amazed at the controls and animation and artwork.  Awesome game, very innovative at the time and still impressive.

EDIT: also I like the cartoon color-coded damage rather than actual blood and gore typical in other games at the time.

If only they would ressurect the Oni franchise and come up with a theatrical movie, like some other video game tie-ins, who could play Konoko and other characters?  That's another thread...

Last edited by GlenP (12/10/09 01:12)

#42 12/09/09 01:12

Leus
Website

Good thread.  I'mma start it.  smile

#43 12/11/09 06:12

onichars

First encounter with the game was a demo I found on a disc of a computer magazine (forgot what title it was), somewhere around 2002. I remember not being particularly impressed at the start of the training level, what with the running, and *yipes!*, the characters actually could clip through the walls! The punching and kicking of the drones started next, and the rest is history. tongue

I enjoyed the Airport level the most, and I modified its script the most times because of its linearity, and found this Muro character really cool.

It wasn't long before I got the actual game. In fact, I bought it twice, although for what reason I did that I've long forgotten.

WJTW

#44 12/11/09 10:12

Kemot722

I "felt in love" with ONI, because of...

1) Combat system like no other
2) Dialogs, characters have their "souls", emotions (very good voice acting)
3) Variety characters
4) Soundtrack
5) Interesting levels - Airport, Rooftops, TCTF
6) Cutscenes with Konoko on vehicles - intro to level 6 (getting into garage), last level (Konoko drives truck through the gate)

I'm back again smile

#45 12/11/09 14:12

Leus
Website

I bought it twice too, and can't remember why either.

#46 12/11/09 18:12

Iritscen

Oni - So Good You'll Buy It Twice For Some Reason You Won't Remember Later™

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#47 12/11/09 23:12

demos_kratos

Iritscen wrote:

Oni - So Good You'll Buy It Twice For Some Reason You Won't Remember Later™

You should make this a header for wiki's main page smile I bought it three times btw...

Last edited by demos_kratos (12/11/09 23:12)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#48 12/12/09 06:12

Leus
Website

I was thinkin' about buying it again.

#49 12/20/09 17:12

inrkgb

I found this game when I was at college. There was nothing like it at the time - Awesome Gameplay, Fighting style, even the Storyline/character development. I especially liked the music - which most don't seem to have anything to say about - it really sets the pace and builds up the tension etc. I just can't beleive the developers never pursued a sequel and why this game is so generally under-rated. Maybe it was too far ahead of it's time? too experimental? Obviously today it all looks a bit dated, but in 2001 - Wow! what a shocker. Even so it's Still fun to play.

I've played halo, and I have no idea why they canned Oni for it. As an online community could we petition the developers to rethink their stand on Oni?

#50 12/20/09 18:12

Mukade

That's what we're here for, with severed textures etc... its looking a bit less outdated

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

Board footer