Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/27/08 06:06

tamaru

How can I make shiny effect on clothes ?

Hi everyone. I´ve made some modifications on Konoko´s and some civilians clothes, but I only retextured the original BMPs with the new ones. But what I´d like to do, is that there should be shiny some effects just like on Konoko´s hair. But I haven´t figured out, how to do that. Could anyone please help me out with this ? Maybe I need some extra software to do this. And advise is admired smile thanx.

#2 06/27/08 09:06

EdT
Website

Re: How can I make shiny effect on clothes ?

tamaru: For the shiny (reflective) effect, you need to add an alpha channel to the image. You will use white to make the area reflective and black to block the reflectiveness.
For example look at: TXMPIteration001%2FKS_chestpack, you can see how the letters are black in the alpha channel, this prevents them from being reflective.

Now did you install Anniversary Edition?  If so, then you will use OniSplit to import the texture back to Oni.  Here's a tutorial for it: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:ModTXMP

If that sounds like too much work, you can always do the creative work and then post the image files and I can convert them to .oni files which then you can import back to Oni.

#3 06/30/08 07:06

tamaru

Thanks a lot. I´ll try it. I´ve been working with just the Oni Unpacker, which provided me the access to the texture files, so that I could edit them and after that replace the old ones with them. Where can I locate those programs ? Anniversary Edition, OniSplit... Thanks a lot..

#4 06/30/08 07:06

tamaru

I´ve investigated this Onisplit and it seems it does the same thing as the Oni onpacker, but it´s a bit longer procedure. More importantly: I wasn´t able to locate this TXMPIteration001%2FKS_chestpack as an example file. It seems, that my only problem is, that I have no clue, how to add an alpha channel to the image. I´ve exported the texture of Konoko´s hair into BMP file, as a reference and tried to open it, but the file itself doesn´t carry any information about alpha channel and if it does, then I wasn´t able to get this black and white image from it. Please help me sad How should I carry on ?

#5 06/30/08 10:06

Gumby

I think you need to export it as .png

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#6 07/01/08 13:07

tamaru

I´ve tried .png, but it won´t do. It cannot contain the alpha channel. I already unpacked textures with Onisplit and edited them in Photoshop and I actually did see the alpha channel in several TXMP files. So I guess I managed to use the same alpha channel and include it to the file I want, then I used OniSplit and according to manual managed to convert it into .oni file also with the envmap. But what the hell AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THE .ONI FILE ??!! They say it needs to be compiled somehow, but didn´t mention how to do that. I can´t even test it, whether it works or not. PLEASE HELP ME !! How should I put the .oni file with the texture back into the .dat level file ??!

#7 07/01/08 14:07

EdT
Website

tamaru: I'm glad you were able to use OniSplit to edit the TXMP.  First make a backup of the original TXMP.oni file that you will be replacing in the level0_Final folder.  Then put your modified TXMP.oni file in the level0_Final folder.  Then if you're on a PC use the recombiner tool found here: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … php?id=587 to recombine level0.  Once that's done, play Oni and you can see the result of your work.

#8 07/02/08 04:07

tamaru

Ok, I downloaded LevelRecombine, but when I run it, it doesn´t do a thing. I´ve the correct path to Oni, I even have placed the OniSplit program within it. And here is, what may be wrong: I put my new TXMP.oni file in the folder <level12_Final> which I´ve created in the Oni directory as well as in GameDataFolder. I wasn´t sure where should I create the folder so I tried everything. But not, that it matters. It´s doesn´t recombine anything. Please help hmm

#9 07/02/08 08:07

EdT
Website

tamaru: I understand your frustration, its still not easy to modify Oni. At this point the learning curve is high, but don't give up, its worth it.  Once you learn the process, its really fun to see your mods in the game smile

Now regarding your problem, it sounds like you are working in the wrong folder. Try looking here:
Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\

But you have to realize that all the original TXMP.oni files are located in the Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final folder. So if you are replacing an existing TXMP.oni file this is the folder where you put your modified one.  Of course, its always good to make a backup of the original TXMP file, just in case.

You will need to put OniSplit back in its original location and now run LevelRecombine.

#10 07/02/08 11:07

tamaru

But I need all the .oni files from the file level12_Final.dat extracted since I´m modifying textures which occurs only here. I already edited the textures in every file from level1.. to level18.. except for level0.., which doesn´t contain any texture files of character clothing. I already figured out the problem with the LevelRecombine. Now it´s working, but it takes only the only new files,which I modified and creates whole new file <level12_Final.dat> and .raw, but it cannot possibly work, cause it contains only the textures, which I edited. Therefore, I need to have LevelRecombine create the file level12_Final.dat etc. from the files edited by me AND from the rest of the files in .oni format. But that seems impossible. I can´t possibly generate all the files one by one even when I didn´t modify them..... hmm levelXX_Final files contain other materials like sounds or objects so there wouldn´t be much sense in converting all texture files to .oni, since it would still be incomplete, wouldn´t it ?

What I need is to know, how to get all the other .oni files from level1.. to level18_Final in order to compile them with my modified ones

or

think up some other way to implant my edited textures with alpha channel into the game.

I hope U´ll help my somehow sad
Thank U very much.

#11 07/02/08 13:07

EdT
Website

tamaru: We'll figure this out smile

After you install Anniversary Edition, all the TXMP files are moved to the level0_Final folder. I have over 2,300 TXMP.oni files in mine.

But are you saying that in your case, the TXMP files are still located in the level1_Final to level19_Final folders.

What happens when you shapeshift?  Can you shapeshift through all the characters in any level? Like this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBRTDY7heEk

Maybe you can take a screenshot of your Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\ directory.

#12 07/03/08 02:07

tamaru

OK. Proble solved. I´ve just found extract file big_smile Now I can do anything and even more. Thakn U very much for Your assistence. The only thing that makes me sad is, that Oni is relatively old game and the models here aren´t so complex so the reflections are somehow too flat. From now on, I´ll make some good character clothes. Then I´ll upload them here, so U can see the results of my work. wink

#13 07/03/08 02:07

love_Oni

Sound good smile. Congratulation on your work! big_smile

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

Board footer