Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/21/08 07:04

coool

Is there any one like them?

I don't know how to give them some new clothes,maybe I would learn that sometime:D

p.aspx?u=v20_img2_img_0804211953376526_27625.bmp

p.aspx?u=v20_img2_img_0804211953389098_27625.bmp

p.aspx?u=v20_img2_img_0804211953392483_27625.bmp

p.aspx?u=v20_img2_img_0804211953398097_27625.bmp

#2 04/21/08 08:04

Iritscen

Re: Is there any one like them?

Wow, that's really cool.  I mean, coool. smile

Seriously, I really like them.

Is that a Chinese character on Muro's face?

yikes at the high-res texture on Mai's face in the 3rd pic.  Did you do that, coool?  I was hoping we could do high-res textures for the main character's faces, and here you've gone and done it already!  At some point I plan to make a version of Mai's face with more polygons to smooth the edges a bit, and a texture like that would be a great complement to the new model.

And the new clothes in the last pic are great.  Very nice work, coool!

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 04/21/08 08:04

LeeDaiGer

I like that sign on Muro's face. I guess you modified the texture Iteration001/REV_MO_head_01. Maybe you can upload your texture collection when you've finished putting your ideas into action roll I like texture mods. Hm what about golden/silver weapons? That would be cool. big_smile (I remember the texture mods for the game "Postal2") Maybe I'll also try out something.

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

Last edited by LeeDaiGer (04/21/08 12:04)

#4 04/21/08 08:04

coool

Yes I modified the textures of them,and the clothes's textures is strange that I can't understand.

The word in Muro's face is a Chinese word means "handsome","cool". big_smile

And in the last picture,Konoko's clothes is that Mukade's,I just use other charater's.

"Currently, the size of Oni's texture maps are small, you can increase the resolution to a maximum of 256x256 pixels"

I saw this sentence in wiki,as the texture could increase to a maximum of 256x256,I think it's hard to make a exquisite face. I hope the resolution of  Oni's textures could be higher.

By the way,how to modifie a 3D-pic?(like that I want to see a texture in 3D charater,is there any tools?)

#5 04/21/08 10:04

Iritscen

Yes I modified the textures of them,and the clothes's textures is strange that I can't understand.

That's probably the UV mapping.  I'm not an expert on that subject at all, but probably it needs to be adjusted for a character when they're given someone else's clothes.

And in the last picture,Konoko's clothes is that Mukade's,I just use other charater's.

It seems to work well even without UV adjustment.

"Currently, the size of Oni's texture maps are small, you can increase the resolution to a maximum of 256x256 pixels"

I saw this sentence in wiki,as the texture could increase to a maximum of 256x256,I think it's hard to make a exquisite face. I hope the resolution of  Oni's textures could be higher.

Is your version of Konoko's face at 256x256, then?  It looks like it is.  (I really like the eyes the most, you have a good conception of how to draw anime eyes.)  256x256 is actually enough to make a good-looking face.  Think about how many pixels a face normally takes up on the screen, and you realize that it's rarely so big onscreen that you would see pixels or blurriness at 256x256.  Most of the time, 256x256 is more than enough for a texture, unless it's a wall and you walk right up to it.

By the way,how to modifie a 3D-pic?(like that I want to see a texture in 3D charater,is there any tools?)

Sorry, not sure what you're asking.  You want to mod a texture, or a model?

#6 04/21/08 10:04

EdT
Website

coool: Great job! Please post your modified .oni files somewhere so we can see and play with them.

You might want to look at this program http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/  Its for PC, but you can extract the 3D model from Oni, then apply the textures to the model, so you can see how it looks before importing them into Oni.

Also, look at this wiki page http://wiki.oni2.net/AE:Importing_character_models

#7 04/24/08 16:04

LeeDaiGer

Ok first it didn't work and every weapon was in white color, but now i found a way how to change the texture of the weapons. I've created 10 textures for the plasma rifle for now but i think i will choose a style and use it for all other weapons. Plz tell me what textures you like roll

collection.jpg

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

Last edited by LeeDaiGer (06/29/14 18:06)

#8 04/24/08 18:04

EdT
Website

LeeDaiGer: Very nice! I like version #6, it has a clean look.

Next time try using Dev Mode to take a screenshot of the weapon.  Once you're in Dev Mode, press the tilde key ~, you will see the letters CMD: at the bottom left part of the screen. Now type cm_orbit 2 90 and hit RETURN key.  Now you will be looking at Konoko from the side. cm_orbit 2 180 will present a front view. 

You will need to hit the tilde key again to get out of command entry mode.

#9 04/25/08 01:04

Gumby

Number 6 is very sexy.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#10 04/25/08 08:04

Iritscen

I was going to say #6 too; I was hesitating because it's very unlike the general style of stuff in the game.  But you know what?  Maybe that's the point.  I mean, it's a mod, it doesn't have to be a simple improvement of the original look.

That being said, #10 is also quite cool looking and won't totally give you away in the dark like #6 smile  If we one day (even saying "one day", this is a real long shot) had hacked multiplayer into Oni, it would be cool to give the different color versions of the characters different-colored weapons.  If they were different enough, it would help you to tell who was on your side and who wasn't (because, let's face it, team-style multiplayer could be awesome with Oni if you assembled squads of TCTF vs. Syndicate).

#11 04/27/08 15:04

LeeDaiGer

Thanks for your answers! I like versions 1, 6, 7. That green version 8 looks like military weapons. Just imagine how it would like if Konoko would wear military clothes and weapons and the face would be a little dirty for being invisible in front of some trees... Just an idea roll . And i like Iritscen's idea with the different colors of the weapons in a possibly multiplayer game.
Now i've created version 6 textures for the other weapons, too. But i've found limitations on creating the textures for these weapons:
Phase Stream Projector, SBG Man-Portable Mortar, Scram Cannon, Screaming Cannon & Wave Motion Cannon.
I modify the textures in a very complicated way i've found, and the textures of the mentioned weapons were made in a bmz (compressed bitmap) format with 32 bit colors. I couldn't find a graphic program which can save pictures in that format, so i used a 16 bit format, cause it has the same size. But then the version 6 weapons look bad in the game because the game expects a bmz 32 bit format, and the grey colors are changed to blue,green and brown colors.
For version 6 i can solve this problem by changing some values of the textures in a hex editor, but this won't work with the other color versions. For all other non-mentioned weapons there are no problems. I could create a tutorial about modifying the weapon textures in my complicated way, but i hope someone here found already an easier way.
Here you can see the version 6 weapons:
silverweapons.jpg
For installing this mod i think there are 2 ways:
1.Replacing the textures with the program Oni Un/Packer v0.34b. I could write a tutorial for this.
2.The easiest way: Replace the file level0_Final.raw (27,6mb) with the modified one.
If you would like to install this mod i could upload the program, textures and modified level0_Final.raw

And thanks EdT for the Dev Mode commands.

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

#12 04/27/08 16:04

EdT
Website

LeeDaiGer: The textures are looking very good.

I guess you haven't tried Anniversary Edition.  It makes it easier to modify the textures and much more.  With AE, you can share just the changes you make, instead of the whole level files.

Take a look at this page for a brief overview: http://wiki.oni2.net/AE

Some features of OniSplit (The program behind Anniversary Edition): http://wiki.oni2.net/Onisplit

#13 04/28/08 23:04

EdT
Website

Just an additional thought, with Anniversary Edition, its easy to duplicate a ONWC, rename it and then give it a new texture.  Thus we can have different looking weapons for TCTF and the Syndicate.

LeeDaiGer: If you were to post the image files of your modifed textures, then those of us with Anniversary Edition can import them into Oni.

#14 05/01/08 07:05

LeeDaiGer

I wanted to look at that Anniversary Edition later, ok but now i've checked it out. It's great! But i didn't understand how to import my textures with OniSplit. I've read the examples and commands and still couldn't do it.
BUT i've found a nice patch program "Patch Maker" (www.clickteam.com). With that program i created a patch program and a patch uninstall program. With these you can easily install und uninstall my mod. You will need to provide a original level0_Final.raw. That will be patched. And in the same way the mod can be uninstalled.

The only bad thing is that you can use only 1 mod at one time which modifies the file level0_Final.raw because the patch wants before installing a mod the original file level0_Final.raw. The patch programs are small because they know only the texture differences and the patch positions.

Thanks for your information!

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

Last edited by LeeDaiGer (05/05/08 15:05)

#15 05/01/08 08:05

Iritscen

I hope to try out your new weapon TXMPs in Oni, but keep in mind that for Mac users like myself and Ed, .exes won't run.  Even if I ran the .exe with my Mac's Windows partition, it would probably not work on my Mac version of Oni because the level file sizes may be different.  That's why using the Edition, with its .oni files, is a better solution, because it shows each and every TXMP and all the other files separately in one big folder, and we just swap in the modded .onis in place of the originals.  That's why we love the Edition so much (that and the other improvements it makes to the game, of course).  We can still apply the changes manually, though.  Thanks for the work!

#16 05/01/08 13:05

LeeDaiGer

Ah ok, that's cool! It that way every file can be modified and simply replaced and multiple mods can be used. So i must convert my .txmp files to .oni files. How can i do that? I've noticed there is only one difference between .txmp and .oni files: The .oni files contain some header information. And where should i copy the .oni files? In the directory "Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final" and backup&replace the original files? I tried to add the header information to my txmp files, renamed them to .oni files and replaced them but the mod did not work, maybe because the Anniversary Edition uses already some weapon mods...
BTW can i delete the "Oni\edition\temp" folder after the installation?
Thanks

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

#17 05/01/08 13:05

Iritscen

So i must convert my .txmp files to .oni files. How can i do that?

I guess you don't know about OniSplit.  The wiki has the instructions on how to use it to make TXMPs (TXMP___.oni) out of .tga files.  Once you get the hang of the -format options, it's easy.

And where should i copy the .oni files? In the directory "Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final" and backup&replace the original files?

Exactly.  But then you have to use OniSplit's -import option, because those files in level0_Final\ aren't being read by Oni, the original .dat and .raw files are.  The -import switch recreates the entire level's data from the individual files it extracted before, so if you replaced a file, the new file gets imported as part of the level data.  Cool, huh?

BTW can i delete the "Oni\edition\temp" folder after the installation?

Yes.

#18 05/01/08 16:05

LeeDaiGer

Hm I guess I'm too stupid for the last step. I'm trying but it doesn't work.
I've created the oni files, but I don't know how to import them in oni with the -import command.
Can you please tell me a complete example command?

the command starts like this:
onisplit.exe -import ...
And then?
After importing the onifiles both versions, original Oni and Anniversary Edition, will use this mod, right?
Then i would put the onisplit.exe, install.bat, uninstall.bat and the .oni files in one archive and complete this mod finally.
Thanks

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

Last edited by LeeDaiGer (05/05/08 15:05)

#19 05/02/08 09:05

Iritscen

Hm I guess I'm too stupid for the last step. I'm trying but it doesn't work.

I personally have trouble with OniSplit all the time.  No command ever works for me at first.  So we'll be dumb together smile

the command starts like this:
onisplit.exe -import ...
And then?

And then the path of the levelX_Final directory that the .oni files are in.  If you're making a global mod, it's level0_Final.  Something like:

onisplit.exe -import C:\Games\Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final\

I hope that's right.  It's a little different for PC users than for us Mac users.  That should compile all the .oni files into the one file, level0_Final.dat.

After importing the onifiles both versions, original Oni and Anniversary Edition, will use this mod, right?

Well, apparently on the PC, Oni can be told what GDF (GameDataFolder) to use.  I don't know how you tell Oni which GDF to use, but if you tell it to run using Oni\GDF (I get tired of typing the whole name), you get the original, unmodded Oni, and if you tell it to run using Oni\edition\GDF, you get the Edition.

But you can only install mods as .oni files into the Edition's GDF because it's the only GDF that has the levelX_Final folders, right?  So once you use -import on the Edition GDF folder that you changed some .oni files in, the Edition version will use your modded levelX.dat file in edition\GDF, but the original Oni\GDF will be unchanged unless you copy the newly-compiled levelX_Final.dat (and maybe .raw, don't know if that changes) files into it.  You should always back up your original Oni data before replacing it, but I'm sure you know that.

Then i would put the onisplit.exe, install.bat, uninstall.bat and the .oni files in one archive and complete this mod finally.

I think that should work.  Just be sure to only install your mod in the Edition's GDF.  I guess that the uninstall script will remove your modded .oni files from levelX_Final\ and copy backed-up versions of the original .oni files in, then recompile the level that was modified, right?

#20 05/05/08 15:05

LeeDaiGer

Thanks for your answers, Iritscen!
Ok now i've finally finished this mod.
The correct command for compiling the new level0_Final.dat & level0_Final.raw files is:
onisplit.exe -import "..Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final" "..Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final.dat"
Onisplit must know the source directory and the target dat file. Then it patches the dat and raw files.

I created an install & uninstall batch file for the original Oni and for the Oni Anniversary Edition,so you don't need to copy the level0_Final.dat & level0_Final.raw files for your original Oni, because both versions have seperate installers and uninstallers.
In Oni Anniversary Edition the new modded weapons will still have the same look, cause this mod was only made for the original weapons.
The installers create backups of the .oni files and of level0_Final.dat & level0_Final.raw. Then the uninstaller just deletes the modded .oni files and renames the backups. Because of that it is not necessary to compile the level0_Final.dat & level0_Final.raw files again.
I wrote some check parts in the batch files:
The installer will recognize if necessary files are missed, if the mod was already installed and if the typed path is correct. The uninstaller will recognize if the mod was already uninstalled.
For Oni Anniversary Edition the installer assumes that the exported
directory "Oni\edition\GameDataFolder\level0_Final" still exists.
For the original Oni the installer exports the content of level0_Final.dat & level0_Final.raw, replaces the .oni files and then imports the exported & modified directory "Oni\GameDataFolder\level0_Final" in level0_Final.dat & level0_Final.raw.

I hope the installers will work for mac users, too!

Here you can download the final mod:
http://universalsat.bplaced.net/he/OniM … eapons.zip (rightclick & save target as...)
Here is the modpreview:
silverweapons.jpg

LeeDaiGer

------------
Scanning the area! cool

#21 05/06/08 08:05

Iritscen

Well, we can't run .bat files on the Mac, so I know they won't work tongue  Just FYI, the equivalent on the Mac is .sh, a shell script for the Terminal, but you have to know bash to write those.

But don't worry about that -- for now we can apply the mod manually, and it seems likely that in the next few months we will have an easy solution for applying mods for both Mac and PC.

Board footer