Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/27/08 04:01

TOCS

StrikerMod

Okay, i sloved the problem in the striker textures, and now i have made new colours for Easy, Medium and hard.
There should be a readme.txt inside the .ZIP, read it carefully.

#2 01/27/08 04:01

TOCS

Re: StrikerMod

Here is a screenshot, since i could'nt attach 2 at the first post.

#3 01/27/08 04:01

TOCS

Deleted post.

Last edited by TOCS (01/27/08 04:01)

#4 01/27/08 05:01

s10k
Website

Nice! black strikers! tongue

#5 01/27/08 07:01

TOCS

Thanks, i am making the same for Tankers, Furys, Elite Strikers etc.

#6 01/27/08 10:01

EdT
Website

Cool, I noticed that they are the same size of the originals, have you tried to increase the size to 256x256 and see if it improves the look of the strikers?

#7 01/27/08 12:01

Gumby

The black one is sexy! big_smile Put it in the edition please!

Green is ok...I dislike the yellow

Possibly green, (old) red, then black would look nicer

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#8 01/27/08 13:01

TOCS

I still have some graphic issues, but i am still working on it.

This is far the last release, when i am done i will emprove the weapons aswell, and maybe add a shotgun and such.. I have already found a mesh for one.

#9 01/27/08 20:01

Gumby

I don't think you can import meshes yet...can you?

#10 01/28/08 01:01

ItemfinderDeluxe

The strikers look great...but I personally think that Black is a bit overdone (we see it heavily on TCTF Black Ops). Perhaps a different colour, like white? I just think white could work because it makes them truly stand out from the rest of the troops, and especially from Muro himself.

Do you think you could put up a screenshot of a white striker, just so we can compare the 'effect' of black vs. white?

TCTF SWAT: Striker, you're under arrest.
Striker: H4h, y0u c4n'7 570p m3!!!
TCTF SWAT: Damn it, learn to spell!!!
CURRENT PROJECT - 'Nemesis' V1.0 Released

#11 01/28/08 09:01

Loser

OK, one bad message for all you character retexturing people - when you replace the texture, it loses its ability to be "reflective"(striker armor, ninja armor, Konoko armor...). Compare in THIS video (1st-original chest, 2nd- retextured chest). But it is a pity. I have tried it and 256x256 textures look smooth and they definitely adds to the visual appearance of the game. (see their arm pads-looking quite nice)
Geyser? Is there any solution??? Or, better one to ask, Alloc???

Another one for Alloc: Can you please finish texture options in your OUP, so we can choose more TXMP options? Also, there is a bug in OUP - sometimes if it is trying to add bigger texture than the original one with MipMap, it screws texture which is "below" or "above" in the raw. Possible solution: Make OUP "add" this new texture at the end of the raw file(update link in a dat) and note user, that texture was added to the end.

Loser

Last edited by Loser (01/28/08 09:01)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#12 01/28/08 09:01

EdT
Website

Loser, Neo has added the TXMP create feature in the latest version of OniSplit see:
http://wiki.oni2.net/User_talk:Neo

Also, your attachment is missing.

#13 01/28/08 10:01

Iritscen

So, it sounds like there's some extra data somewhere in the TXMP that determines reflectivity... sorry, that's no help at all, is it?

Also, why does the Striker get shorter?  smile

Re: black vs. white striker... an all-white striker would look broken, like the texture failed to load, or else make him look like an arctic troop.  But if there are highlights or striping in a color such as white, it could work.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#14 01/29/08 01:01

TOCS

As for you'r askins, i am not pro in Photoshop, i quite suck at it. I am trying to add some army green camo, but it will take some time.

And, if anyone can tell me how to get the reflectivity back then please response.

#15 01/29/08 02:01

Gumby

Well...the reflectivity must be in a seperate channel or something...or in another image as a mask sort of thing...unless your replace color thing screwed it up...

#16 01/29/08 07:01

geyser
Website

Reflection maps are not a problem when editing or upsampling textures: you just have to export, edit and import the texture while preserving its alpha channel. I've been using the DDS format for characters, since it supports mip mapping, another key feature to import textures into Oni. I have nice shiny black strikers, a nice shiny black Barabas, etc. I haven't released them, but I've shown you all a screenshot (that no one seemed to notice).
Actually, there are lots of character textures that have no reflection maps in the Original Oni, even though they have metal parts. I would definitely make those reflective, and it's totally possible with today's modding tools.

So, export to DDS, edit as DDS, save as DDS. If you don't augment the resolution or color depth, it's a nice touch to save in the exact same DDS format as was used by Oni, so the final texture takes exactly the same storage space (that's what I've been doing): just use DDS's RGB5A1 for both Oni's RGB5 and RGB5A1, and RGBA4 for RGBA4. It's better if the final DDS to be imported into Oni already has mipmaps. As for the reflectivity, you typically have RGBA4 for reflective textures, and RGB5A1 in only a few cases (e.g., TCTF Konoko's shoulderplates). Currently, OUP detects RGBA4 and RGB5A1 correctly. As for RGB5, I can only save as RGB5A1 from the Gimp, so OUP makes all those textures transparent, and I have to fix the storage type, because otherwise one gets a see-through effect. I'll talk to Alloc about adding a flag for forcing RGB5A1 back to RGB5.

"So, it sounds like there's some extra data somewhere in the TXMP that determines reflectivity... sorry, that's no help at all, is it?"
http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD:TXMP
http://wiki.oni2.net/OBD_talk:TXMP

"I just think white could work because it makes them truly stand out from the rest of the troops, and especially from Muro himself."
White wouldn't make them stand out from Rockstar Muro, that's for sure smile  I'm really upset that no one noticed Rockstar Muro sad
Black Strikers are the only ones I'd add. They'd be sidekicks for Black Furies. Which, in turn, are possibly Daodan candidates.

Last edited by geyser (01/29/08 07:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#17 01/29/08 08:01

TOCS

I cant edit an DDS... Photoshop dosent supports that file

#18 01/29/08 09:01

Iritscen

Yeah, what program handles DDS?  This is going to be important if we're going to upscale any TXMPs.  You mentioned the Gimp but said it messes up reflectivity.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#19 01/29/08 09:01

TOCS

Okay, i downloaded a plugin for photoshop, but, can you explain in a more easy way, i'm from denmark, i am not that good at english.

#20 01/29/08 12:01

Your_Mom
Website

I've always used Photoshop to edit DDS. lol.
Just edit like you would a normal image, then save as .dds...and remeber to set mip mapping on and stuff.

I think there was a black/grey/white camo striker somewhere on a beta screen...not sure...

droid803sig.jpg

#21 01/29/08 14:01

TOCS

Okay, I'v edited the .dds it sayed something about MIP mapping when i entered the file and i pressed now, i edited all the parts and saved it.

But still, when i overwrite the existing files, it still dosent has "reflective"

#22 01/29/08 16:01

geyser
Website

"I think there was a black/grey/white camo striker somewhere on a beta screen...not sure..."
Sure was. Camo ninjas, too. The pre-beta shots are what got Rexxar started on these skins.

"can you explain in a more easy way, i'm from denmark, i am not that good at english."
I can't upload images right now, but I'll try to explain with words what's going on.
I never used Photoshop, so I hope Gimp's commands are close enough to yours.
A texture's color is typically stored as 3 separate channels: red, green, and blue.
(Photoshop should let you view these channels separately ("decompose" or such))
A texture can also have a 4th channel called "alpha", often used for transparency.
Photoshop should also handle that channel correctly if it is present in the texture.
Export a reflective texture from Oni (with OUP), either to TGA, PNG, or DDS.
That texture should have transparent areas when you load it into Photoshop.
(the fully transparent areas are the ones with no reflectivity, and vice-versa)
Once you make sure that the alpha channel is there, your job is to preserve it.
That means that you should work on the RGB part of the texture separately.
Then you combine it with the alpha channel (which you didn't touch at all).
And then you export the whole texture as an appropriate DDS subformat.
(DDS handles many formats: you need the one that preserves the alpha)

I'll try to make a more detailed tutorial some time later. Not now, sorry.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#23 01/30/08 01:01

Tyr
Website

Example shot from Script10K's website, about colourful (or not colourful wink) enemies:
top2.jpg

Last edited by Tyr (01/30/08 11:01)

#24 01/30/08 01:01

TOCS

Still not sure what you mean, but, i will try sometime.

#25 01/31/08 01:01

TOCS

I have installed GIMP now, but i dont know how to change the language, i want it on English so it is easier to handle.

Board footer