Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/14/14 12:06

Venule

[SOLVED] Camera problem (mouse continually moves upward)

Hey everyone, I made an account to get some help with a problem I have not just for Oni but for some other games as well. I got the original Oni and played it not realizing that it wasn't made for Windows 8, so I got the anniversary edition and installed it perfectly. The problem I'm having is that the camera is always facing up (or down if the mouse is inverted). No matter what I try to do with the mouse, the camera always faces up and when I turn, Konoko starts turning very quickly. I've looked this issue up and I've had no luck finding anyone with a similar problem, but I might just be looking for the wrong thing. The image below shows where the camera is facing constantly and I've had no luck fixing it. I'll post this here and then assuming it won't be answered for a bit, I'll mess around with the settings and see if the driver could be causing a problem.

But please, if you guys have any ideas as to what's causing this problem let me know because not only do I really want to play Oni again, but this happens for several other games and it makes them nigh unplayable.

ogHtJiB.jpg

Last edited by Venule (06/14/14 12:06)

#2 06/14/14 12:06

loveoni12

Re: [SOLVED] Camera problem (mouse continually moves upward)

Have you done your settings?

#3 06/14/14 12:06

Venule

loveoni12 wrote:

Have you done your settings?

What do you mean?

I've checked the driver on my mouse and although the driver date says sometime in 2006 it says it's up to date. I've messed with the resolution of the game and no setting is better than another. I'm not sure what to do. The camera is literally locked facing upwards and all I can do is have it erratically spin horizontally.

#4 06/14/14 12:06

Iritscen

Strange.  I've never heard of this error before.  I'm not sure how many people here are in Win8, though.  It sounds like your mouse is being treated like a joystick, which supplies continuous directional input while held in any position.  Thus, your mouse input is causing the game to think that you're continually moving the mouse upwards (if I've got that the right way around), or continually to one side when you move it briefly to one side.  I have no idea what would cause this, though.  Is it an unusual mouse that requires a special driver or can you use a generic one?  Do you currently have a joystick or other pointing device also plugged in?  Is this on a laptop with a pointing stick in the keyboard?  Do you have any other monitors connected that could cause the mouse to think it's off-center when it's centered on one screen?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 06/14/14 13:06

Venule

Iritscen wrote:

snip

I have a USB adapter for my PS2 controllers, but I've never seen them impact anything besides the games I run on an emulator. In fact, I usually try to see if there's a way to get them to work for non-PS games tongue. Your suggestion made sense though so I unplugged it and restarted the game and it's still stuck. My mouse is pretty standard, it's just a stock Alienware one that came with the PC when I got it. I could try using another one if that might help. But to answer all of your questions here: no it's a standard mouse using a generic driver; I did have a PS2 controller plugged in until you brought that up; no, desktop; and lastly no I only use one monitor. I did take another screenshot to hopefully better illustrate what's going on.

Xi04Asd.jpg

Last edited by Venule (06/14/14 13:06)

#6 06/14/14 13:06

Iritscen

Okay, thanks for looking into those.  I have a PS1 controller plugged into my Mac currently :-)

I got a couple more suggestions from Alloc -- can you try running in Fullscreen mode?  Currently I assume you're launching from the "windowed mode" shortcut, which passes Oni.exe the "-noswitch" argument.  If you allow Oni to switch resolutions, there's a possibility it won't have a mouse problem.  He also pointed out that graphics tablets have the same input issue, but unless you have one plugged in or your computer thinks your mouse is a tablet....

One other thing to try, though this is very much experimental, is to go into Oni, enable Developer Mode (typing "thedayismine" in the Pause screen), and then on the console (press "~/`") type "li_center_cursor=0" and press Enter.  If it returns something like "int: 0" or "bool: 0" then you did it right.  This will turn off cursor centering, but I'm honestly not sure what this will do.  We don't have the command on Macs.

#7 06/14/14 13:06

Alloc
Website

Do you run Oni on a touch enabled device?

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#8 06/14/14 13:06

Venule

Thanks for the help guys, I managed to fix it. The problem was the resolution. My monitor's native resolution is 1280x720 but I run everything on 1920x1080 and usually there's no issues. This was an exception. I went into the AE folder and changed the settings of the Oni.exe in there to disable display scaling on high DPI settings and the problem was resolved. So I guess we can refer to this if anyone ever has a similar problem. I know I made this account solely for help with this but I think I'll stay around. Anyone who still plays Oni is clearly doing something right smile.

#9 06/14/14 13:06

Iritscen

Cool, glad to hear it's working.  I guess display scaling's a new thing in Win8?  Good to know for future tech support purposes.  But yeah, please feel free to stick around.  The community's been very quiet lately but there's often something interesting going on behind the scenes.  Sometimes we go through waves of real life busy-ness, then come back to our modding work afterward.

#10 06/16/14 00:06

Venule

Iritscen wrote:

Cool, glad to hear it's working.  I guess display scaling's a new thing in Win8?  Good to know for future tech support purposes.  But yeah, please feel free to stick around.  The community's been very quiet lately but there's often something interesting going on behind the scenes.  Sometimes we go through waves of real life busy-ness, then come back to our modding work afterward.

Awesome, thanks. Is there anything I should know about Oni or the community here? I've only just gotten the game again for the sake of nostalgia, so I'm not really privy to all the Oni secrets and mods.

#11 06/16/14 08:06

Iritscen

Well, most of our accomplishments can be seen in the AE Installer.  They've been made possible thanks to some devoted hackers.  We've also got lots of documentation about the game on our wiki, as linked to in the forum header, so you should check that out if you haven't already.

#12 11/01/15 17:11

justinslot

Just registering to thank the OP for their solution, as I was having the same problem on a Windows 8 machine.

In case anyone else was confused by the OP's instructions at first, as I was: this is a Windows setting, not a setting within Oni.exe. You need to right click it and enter "Properties" to get to the "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" box.

#13 07/05/18 09:07

Iritscen

Just an update, since I think this thread is probably seen by most people researching their mouse issues with Oni: things got moved around a bit in an update to Windows 10 last year.  The current solution is to:
- Right-click on Oni.exe and choose Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab.
- Click on the "Change high DPI settings" button.
- Check the "Override high DPI scaling behavior" box.  Scaling should be performed by "Application".

#14 11/03/18 18:11

Cooken Monster

Hello Iritscen,

I just got a disc for the game, and was able to install it (though I could not run GLSETUP_117.exe file) on an updated Windows 10. I've been tinkering around with the compatibility and high DPI settings, and I can't get the game to go past the intro video sequence. I'm just running the executable directly. I also have no mods installed. Just wondering if there have been any updates on this issue.

This game is super nostalgic, so hopefully I can get it working. Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind, I did not realize that you need to install AE in order to get the game working.

-Aaron

Last edited by Cooken Monster (11/03/18 22:11)

Mmmmwah~~

#15 11/04/18 08:11

Iritscen

Hi there.  Most people do just install the AE to get Oni working since the AE includes the Daodan DLL, which is the actual patch that allows the game to keep working on modern PCs.  The DLL can also be downloaded separately from the AE here: http://mods.oni2.net/node/233.  You should not run any installer on the Oni disc pertaining to OpenGL, as it will install an ancient version of the libraries on your computer.  Enjoy the game!

Board footer