Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 12/12/07 22:12

Gumby

Re: Seventh Anniversary Edition, Version Absolute Zero

geyser wrote:

Gentlemen, I think the shapeshifting issues should be moved elsewhere since they are turning into a hacking tutorial. As for the mouse issue, it's OK.
Final note @ Gumby: no, the old forum has a quite convenient search engine (unlike this one), and no, there's no way to handle multi-spawned chars.
(right now, most character modifiers use the name as a handle, so if there's a name conflict between 2 characters, you'll obviously run into problems)
"shapeshifter" has no HP bug. It's a matter of choice: base health is set at spawn-time, and modifying it afterwards would mean to rescale everything.
chr_set_class has the same effect as shapeshifter, meaning that the HP meter will be retained from the original ONCC the character was spawned with.

What I meant is that the old forum has a slow connection with my computer...

That's what I meant by an HP bug...I suppose it's meant to be that way, but is still annoying...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#52 12/13/07 09:12

Iritscen

Windowed mode isn't that important for me... I don't know, I think Mac users are used to games taking up the whole screen; I thought PC users were too.

Anyway, if we're on the topic of mouse issues, I don't suppose there's any fix possible for the mouse freezing up?  It almost seemed to happen less in Edition Zero, but I still haven't played all the way through, and I can certainly say that it was a big problem when I first played the game through.  If the camera moved too quickly, the mouse-look control would lock up as if it was trying to compensate for the rapid movement, and I couldn't aim Konoko (or the camera) at the enemy; it would get me killed.  I don't know if you know what I'm referring to, but maybe there's no way to fix that from your end.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#53 12/13/07 22:12

geyser
Website

Yo guys, you have only a few hours to find the second Easter egg before the next release.
The release will sorta "fix" the Easter egg (actually an original flaw revealed by the Edition).
With that minor fix, the Easter egg will be much harder to locate than it is now. So there smile
Apart from both fixes, there won't be much news tomorrow: two new characters and a half.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#54 12/16/07 16:12

Gumby

Where is this release? hidden?

#55 12/17/07 13:12

Iritscen

Apparently Mukade has the disc with the latest version of the Edition.  We'll have to track him down.

#56 12/17/07 18:12

Gumby

Ahh yes...maybe I'll sneak in and grab that too...

#57 12/17/07 18:12

geyser
Website

Well, guys, you haven't located the Easter egg, so I thought I'd give you some extra time wink
Seriously, I wanted to release the stuff on Friday night, but OniSplit lacked a major feature.
Then I jandered off to Estonia and only got Neo to fix the stuff today. So, a few more days.
"Mukade has the disc with the latest version of the Edition." You couldn't be more right... smile

Last edited by geyser (12/17/07 18:12)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#58 12/17/07 19:12

Your_Mom
Website

You could just tell us...
Not like I'm really that curious about it, I'm more curious about the new functionality.

droid803sig.jpg

#59 12/17/07 21:12

Gumby

mukadediskcopyzf3.jpg

#60 12/17/07 21:12

Gumby

Heh, I've got it...but there isnt much to do...the robots havent swtiched teams yet sad (unless my timing is off...)...and it is game stopping...i guess...

Last edited by Gumby (12/17/07 22:12)

#61 12/18/07 10:12

Iritscen

I don't know if this is the easter egg, but I went through the training level again, and this time, Karen won!  I didn't see it happen because I wasn't paying close enough attention (and I assumed she'd lose).  She was getting kicked around like normal, so I looked away, and when I turned back she was standing over the drones' bodies.  But yeah, that's the first time I've seen her win since I first played Oni.  Does that have to do with having improved melee AI, or was it just a remote possibility all along?

#62 12/18/07 11:12

s10k
Website

Iritscen wrote:

I don't know if this is the easter egg, but I went through the training level again, and this time, Karen won!  I didn't see it happen because I wasn't paying close enough attention (and I assumed she'd lose).  She was getting kicked around like normal, so I looked away, and when I turned back she was standing over the drones' bodies.  But yeah, that's the first time I've seen her win since I first played Oni.  Does that have to do with having improved melee AI, or was it just a remote possibility all along?

That happens in normal game..

#63 12/18/07 14:12

Iritscen

Meh.  Well, I tried.

#64 12/22/07 17:12

geyser
Website

Iritscen, I remember you complained about the "temp" folder.
Well, you can delete it any time. You don't need it to play smile
It's just for debugging or otherwise temporary purposes...

The second Easter egg was identified by a Russian fan:
http://onimia.ru/forum/img/posts/930_01.jpg

Last edited by geyser (12/22/07 17:12)

#65 12/23/07 12:12

Gumby

Oh....where is that?

What I thought is the egg is the ability to jump inside the training room as the door is closing and trap yourself...

#66 02/06/08 08:02

SektorZ
Website

Hi. This looks awesome but I'm having trouble with the installation. When I run "big_deal" it shows a couple of "file not found"s and after a few seconds it ends. Same with big_zeal. As instructed, those are in my "Oni\edition\install". What's wrong?

#67 02/06/08 09:02

Iritscen

I am confused.  I don't remember seeing that Easter Egg pic before (in geyser's post).  Now the link is not responding.  sad

@SektorZ: You should really be trying out the Edition Preview at this point.  Also, you definitely need to be more specific with your errors (post the actual error text).

#68 02/06/08 12:02

geyser
Website

@ Iritscen: You won't see the Easter egg in any of the later versions.
It was fixed by the introduction of the Cop_generic character class.
I'm also planning to introduce a Casey_generic class soon enough.

@ Sektor: Rubbing in Iritscen's comments, sorry.

"Hi. This looks awesome but I'm having trouble with the installation."
First off, please grab the latest release from here: http://geyser.oni2.net/edition/20080121
(since you're on PC, make sure to grab wedition.zip, not xedition.zip)

"When I run "big_deal" it shows a couple of "file not found"s and after a few seconds it ends."
Please provide a more detailed report next time. big_zeal is supposed to dump log files.

#69 02/06/08 16:02

SektorZ
Website

Right. The whole splitting concept doesn't seem to be working. I have NET framework. I've placed the files in the correct place. Screenshot of the bat process:
http://i32.tinypic.com/9fpq80.jpg
Any ideas?

#70 02/06/08 16:02

geyser
Website

You must have an outdated version of .NET. OniSplit requires 2.0:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

#71 02/06/08 17:02

SektorZ
Website

It offers me to repair, I did that. It offered me the same earlier when I already tried it in case I have an old version. I'll try to uninstall and install again... but there's a big chance that might not be it.
Edit: Still no working. BTW When I run the split file it says "application configuration is incorrect, reinstall the application ect ect". I'll try to use the onisplit from it's own topic.

Last edited by SektorZ (02/06/08 17:02)

#72 02/06/08 18:02

geyser
Website

I still think it's your .NET framework that's faulty. Any release of the Edition works fine with .NET 2.0
BTW, you can keep posting here if you want, but make sure to check out the latest Edition. It's better.

Last edited by geyser (02/06/08 18:02)

#73 09/19/08 09:09

Acharad

I have just registered to this board in order to post this mesage :

This mod is designed with good ideas and giving a little bit further gaming experience to regular oni players.

The "Mutant Muro Bugger Off" attack is remade as a gun, and increased the diversity of weapons, such as, "Chaingunned Uzis".....

And we can shift to all characters in the game in all levels.

The agility of characters and their stamina is more realistic. (A man that resists to 8 magnum shots, pheww!!)

These are enought to make the game to give more fun...

But there have too much fatal mistakes in game.

Your blockings to attacks doesn't work anyway, Even though you are fast, also disable vsync and play the game 700fps to make device traps capture it faster, it doesn't change anything. You cannot block anything. Even the fastest character playings cannot change that. (Furies and Ninjas too)

Meanwhile, all opponents can make combos on you easily, and UNBLOCKABLE ! E.g. .while A black ops male striker (not heavy striker) from  about three feet away from you, His blast entirely comes to player character. [Invented a crappy ghetto version of remote force conduction]

When you're stuck in a circle of enemies, you usually do a Devil spin kick, Willow Kick, Canonball roll etc. (Duck >Then Kick) But in this mod, when the combo is done, the sound of combo is played, but combo hasn't done while our character is still got pummeled..

Ermm..

Let's get a overall vision :

No blocks anyway ! (Has it but not effective)
No combos !
Slower Keyboard / mouse traps
Longer staggered Time, to make the konoko pummeled easier !

Less and less fun, barrels of harrassment.

A regular skilled Oni player could doubt about his reflexes with this crappy mod !

Punishingly got hard, Not with skillful(!) coding skills of course.. With a lot of bugs instead.

And the thesis of this game is making LARGE variety of combos from characters and make it working. And Konoko is not a beast or barbarian to make it with pure muscle. She needs combos and blocks. But there were no space in this mod for this. If you do not shift to a heavy character and enable phase cloak, It is unplayable.  Only the "Twister Kick" combo works a bit to buy some milliseconds to your sandwatch... When you attempt to do the others, The strikers gets you pummeled. Because the blocking system is purely "DISABLED". But when hitting another NPC, the enemy character is stays in block state...

This mod had driven the game based on pure muscle. Neither ninjutsu, Nor "Do" Sports skills, Nor kung Fu mover work properly. Just Punkrass-like craps. Like we saw in teens fight in schools.

And %80 of gaming content is raped and killed !

OK then, You should say, "Let's play it Gunfight", but the guns remained leaky as original. In original game this is not a disadvantage, Because your combos were working properly. But with this junk,You do not have any way out instead of watching poor Konoko is banged !  Save your keyb and mouse, do not crush them... You might watch this "anime pr0n" instead...

Conclusion :

If you have respect this game, you should just install "Characters Unlock" "Chaingun" and " Konoko High Jump" mods instead.

Just with these mods, you can get a much much much much moooore better gaming experience than this bunch of crap mod.
Way too much to go to make the correct balance...

And finishing my post with Gamespot's brilliant Emblema :

unnameddm4.jpg

#74 09/19/08 10:09

love_Oni

Agree with you at some points, but I think we can think it in an easy way. Actually, I have played Oni for many years and completed it many times, so I also want make some changes. The Anniversary Edition is an easy way to do that. With it, you can change or improve many things as you want.

About the combat system: I always keep the original moves for the situation if I don't like the new moves (maybe they are vulnerable, or have too long stagger time... ), and I also keep the original characters' combat techniques if they fight too hardly for me. See? If I like it, I use it; if I don't like it, I throw it away. (Hope you will agree with me too).

How about this way:

EdT wrote:

Reinstall Edition, but this time Open the file big_zeal.bat with a text editor and delete the line: CALL step0004.bat.
step4 patches the oni files with all the stuff that makes AE harder and different from the original.

Now you will have the original Oni, but with the ability to mod the game using OniSplit.

And if you want, you can make a small improvement - modification for Konoko, here, and here.

Also, welcome to the forum big_smile!

Last edited by love_Oni (09/19/08 10:09)

The Boy Who Knew Too Much tongue

#75 09/19/08 12:09

Loser

Acharad: thanks for your opinion. Now, I will try to react on these.

1st of all: HAVE you installed the NEWEST verson of attack and throw TRAMs? If yes, then continue reading. If no, then download THIS file, then THIS. Then get original, clean level 0, unpack it with Onisplit. Add all those .oni files from those two rars into into unpacked level 0 folder. Only .oni files from all folders, don't copy folders! Add attacks first, throws then (yes, it is important). Then create level 0 back via Onisplit, copy it into your game folder where it originally was and play.

If you refuse to do that thigie above and just say that "you don't want to bother with it 'cause it sucks anyway" then OK. But be informed that if you are playing old version of TRAMs, then YES, there ARE bugs. YES, it is BAD. But NO, that is NOT final version. In the newest versoin, bugs are still present. Only they are not so frequent.

Now, for your statements (remember, have you got latest version?):

Your blockings to attacks doesn't work anyway.

VIDEO. Really? Of course if you try to block more than 2 characters, then you WILL be hitted. Happens in normal Oni as well. If you don't like it, go argue with original coders of Oni, not with us. And yes, it is harder to block aganist two enemies in Edition. But it IS possible, as you can see.

Meanwhile, all opponents can make combos on you easily, and UNBLOCKABLE !

FAIL, my friend. Compared to original Oni, there is only MINIMUM of unblockable attacks. Combat RIF TRAM animations are unblockable (various whipping with empty rifle weapon), yes. And they deal symbolic 1 - 5 dmg ^_^ + with rifle in hands, you cannot guard ( and for your information, NO, in original Oni you CANNOT guard while having rifle weapon in hands, go and try it). So you are ASKING for being hit if you are atacking enemy with RIF attacks. Apart from RIFs, no attack is unblockable.
Well, to understand, unblockable means that character completely cannot block it. I know that certain attacks can partially pierce through guard (specials) but these deal only 1/2 of full damage if they are blocked. And due to the fact these are "specials", they deserve to have such an advantage IMO.

And to end this "unblockables" part: In original Oni, unblockables are:
-all tgt animations (animations which are played by thrown enemies) which have attack part
-Tanker's run kick and side kicks and punch/kick specials
-TCTF Swat's punch and kick forward attacks
-Muro's last punch from his punch combo, his 2nd and 3rd kick from his kick combo, his jump kick, jump forward kick, flip, run kick
-Ninja's kick/punch specials
-maybe more

In Edition, unblockable are:
-all combat RIF animations
- ^_^

When you're stuck in a circle of enemies, you usually do a Devil spin kick, Willow Kick, Canonball roll etc. (Duck >Then Kick) But in this mod, when the combo is done, the sound of combo is played, but combo hasn't done while our character is still got pummeled..

That means you started but you got interrupted by some enemy who attacked you. Simply, you let enemies too close to you ^_^.

So yes, these specials were made semi-vulnerable (at the beginning/in the end of animation, you can be hurt, in the middle you are still invincible to melee damage). Why? To prevent spam. First of all, don't let bunch of enemies surround you (like in real life, Oni is NOT RL, I know, but this is similar). If they suround you, decide quickly, do evasive moves, backbreak, do running throws/slides/jump kicks, try to get them in one line, sweep them etc.

But no, why to bother with those activities? DSK! DSK! DSK! DSK! DSK! See? I PWNED 5 enemies! I am sooo great... Not in Edition ^_^. Maneouver or die. I know it is harder than constant spam of one attack. But it works as well. Now, you can say "but I am NOT doing that!". Lies ^_^. EVERYBODY does that when surrounded. Why to do something else if Oni gives you opportunity to be almost unstoppable wheel of damage? In Edition, things work differently. First of all, don't let enemies surround you. If surrounded, you have to use techniques which knockdown them, you have to evade a lot, jump a lot etc. And yes, you will be in 95% hit at least by one of those bad guys. Price for letting them surround you. Now you can argue again. But man, Edition is not for casual "see? I play it only 5 minutes and I am sooo great!" players. Edition is for those who played normal Oni already and want new challenge.

And the thesis of this game is making LARGE variety of combos from characters and make it working. And Konoko is not a beast or barbarian to make it with pure muscle. She needs combos and blocks. But there were no space in this mod for this. If you do not shift to a heavy character and enable phase cloak, It is unplayable.  Only the "Twister Kick" combo works a bit to buy some milliseconds to your sandwatch... When you attempt to do the others, The strikers gets you pummeled. Because the blocking system is purely "DISABLED". But when hitting another NPC, the enemy character is stays in block state...

This mod had driven the game based on pure muscle. Neither ninjutsu, Nor "Do" Sports skills, Nor kung Fu mover work properly. Just Punkrass-like craps. Like we saw in teens fight in schools.

VIDEO1. VIDEO2. VIDEO3. VIDEO4. Really? Then why those ninjas killed me? Why I was able to kill those strikers? And why I can fight with 4 enemies and survive? Because I DODGE and try to get into position for counterattack with some technique. And in Editon, combos are VERY important. Think. When specials and throws are semi-vulnerable, it is essential to guard or DODGE your enemy, to set up opening for your counterattack. And if specials/throws are risky, then combo them! But in case of more enemies, you have to combine even more. Try to maneouver them so you can kick them into pits or so you can corner them, always kick them on ground, alter enemies while you are performing combos. That works now, not special spamming. Specials/throws ARE important, they deal big damage. Only use them with caution, they are now harder to use than they were in original Oni. Why? Because special/throw spamming is common strategy how to win. Now you have to tactize, not only spam.

And NO, AI2 are NOT given any special advantages in Edition. In fact, original Oni AI2 meant classes (strikers, Tankers, ninjas etc) HAD advantages. They had riddiculously large throw distances, allowing them to "grab" you when you were at least 2 meters from their position ^_^ . Konoko HAD advantages as well. She had semi-invulnerable evasion moves. Other classes could be hurt during whole evasion move, while Konoko had small windows at the beginning where she was invulnerable.

In Edition, these advantages are gone. All classes now have semi-invulnerable windows, all classes have SAME VERY SIMILAR number of frames where user is invulnerable. Throw distances were unified, no unfair throws from 2 meters now.

Even though you are fast, also disable vsync and play the game 700fps to make device traps capture it faster, it doesn't change anything.

and

Slower Keyboard / mouse traps

If you talk about delay between keystroke -> character' reaction, then it was NOT touched as we cannot change it (and we would minimalize it if we could)

And %80 of gaming content is raped and killed !

Name and describe, please. Again, don't forget to have newest attacks/throws modifications. Because YES, older versions HAVE bugs and YES, they ALTER gameplay in a BAD way.

Not with skillful(!) coding skills of course..

Will insulting coders of those mods solve anything?

Just with these mods, you can get a much much much much moooore better gaming experience than this bunch of crap mod.

Thank you for your opinion. ^_^ 

Punishingly got hard

Yes, throw/special spamming is punished now. Because it is cheap. If you don't like it, don't play it. But just because you don't like it it does not mean this is "crap mod". At least I think so. Again said, the Edition is for those who seek a challenge. If you just want to DSK spam some strikers to feel good that you can kill 5+ enemies while they can barely touch you, then play normal Oni. I 100% agree with this.

Loser

Post finished, thanks for patience

P.S.: I should be ashamed of myself for my grammar. *selfsmack*

Last edited by Loser (09/19/08 14:09)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

Board footer