Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 10/21/07 20:10

Ultimatum479

Re: Ideas for Oni 2

Telepathic abilities =/= telekinetic abilities. You said telekinetic. She shouldn't have any abilities over inanimate objects, but yeah, I do think she has a connection to all nearby organic matter via her Chrysalis. It hyper-evolves everything, which would include her senses, so she can probably smell emotions in a manner similar to most animals. As for her mind evolving, I dunno...she's not any less stupid by the end of the game. ^_^

Work in progress...

#27 10/22/07 04:10

Mango

Sheika23 wrote:

one thing that i absolutely hated in oni was that you couldn't make head-shots because no matter where you shot them it always did the same damage (probably because that would have made it to easy)

Not really, it was just that they didn't code in hit-boxes back then. They weren't used at all in games around that time.

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#28 10/22/07 08:10

Sheika23

oh...   but i still hated it

THe 0rijin4L SHEIKA-23

#29 11/01/07 22:11

dangerusdave

1st ever post...See, I'm fourteen and I really want to get into game development, and seriously, I really want to purchase the rights to this game (and Myth) from Take 2 to develop a sequel, but if it were ever to be released, there would also be a Collector's Edition featuring...

-The original Oni game
-A remade Oni game with all new graphics and cinematics (still anime)
-Documentary about the creation of the original game, featuring interviews with people from Bungie West
-Documentary about the creation of the sequel
-The sequel

What platform? Console and PC, and Mac.

I don't know...I just really want to remake this game.

#30 11/02/07 08:11

bboyzagy

Since I see that a lot of people is smart here and I was wondering because I saw somebody here post about transfering Oni to a new engine and I think one of them is great for the job... It's Matrix Path Of Neo, I think it could do great because it has lots of hand to hand combat and when I say lots I mean VERY MUCH COMBOS, and it has a lot of weapons, when I first started Matrix Path Of Neo I did great, because it reminded me so much of Oni, the games have similar fighting styles ( well Neo is a bit unreal), I wondered is this a good idea? I hope this is in any way possible to achieve...

The B-Boy Style Will Live On

#31 11/02/07 22:11

Sheika23

how about a prequel thorough anouther characters eyes like mukade

THe 0rijin4L SHEIKA-23

#32 11/10/07 20:11

geyser
Website

Random replies:

Mutant Muro may not be 100% real, but he has telekinetic powers. Mukade can teleport and Barabas also has an uncommon interaction with the environment.

As Magus says, Mukade is not really an "unmentioned" Daodan. Furthermore, Barabas looks a lot like Mutant Muro. You shouldn't be categoric about those...

I don't think much of the rest of the wishlist(s). Some of those features you ask for are already in Oni or have been emulated in some way or another.
Others have been mentioned on previous "idea" threads (for the gameplay ideas), or on "storyline" threads as for the Butterfly Effects and plot twists.

Abillity to jump to first person view fluidly when going to weapons.

Alternate fire options on said weapons

We already have those. There are extra firing modes in Demoni and a scripted "sniping mode".

Not really, it was just that they didn't code in hit-boxes back then. They weren't used at all in games around that time.

"Not really" smile Oni has rather advanced collision detection system, so it would have been quite easy to detect headshots etc. They probably chose not to bother with impact-specific damage charts: yet another thing that might have worked out better if it wasn't for the looming deadline.

Last edited by geyser (11/10/07 20:11)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#33 11/12/07 07:11

LastmanSAC

...back to Id...
i have always had the hunch that the ID is not a assualt robot, but a ... cleaner - get it?

anyway, Oni's a mess, so suck it up and start modding because its the lazy slobs like me who are going to benefit from all you guys and gals hard work. (evil laugh). No really, keep up the good work.

It would also appear as though the storyline of Oni didn't make sense. I would think that a positive Unitentional Consequence that allows mammoth situations to be written into sequels and whatnot. For example, remember AIDS (i hate giving straight answers, sorry - but come one, anyone can figure that one out)

"played HALO for the first time today, i am as with so many games churned out in the vain hope particle effects would overcome a weak plot and 2D characters, underwhelmed"

#34 11/12/07 10:11

geyser
Website

I'm afraid I didn't understand a single thing you said. Care to post again when you're sober? wink
If you have specific suggestions on how to make Oni better over the next 3 months, go ahead.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#35 11/13/07 09:11

Ultimatum479

I understood what he said. It's just weird and random. tongue

Work in progress...

#36 11/13/07 19:11

Your_Mom
Website

Its so random I don't get the point of what he said...

droid803sig.jpg

#37 11/17/07 06:11

LastmanSAC

Weird and random. I like that.
Anyway- give me a few weeks and i'll have posted a big glob of data on Oni 2 here. It will all make sense if you can stand reading it.
I think my plotline might be too ambitious for Oni though, and maybe too linear for a game. It does include driving stuff, multiple charcters with different combat styles, and a veritable landslide of stuff that is never mentioned (though subtley hinted in the corners of mirrors that reflect enigmas).
Hope that it will make sense, ya?

P.S - Aids as in a unbeatable (presumedly) disorder passed by bodily fluids and cleaner as in cleaning up (come on- just think!). An ID is designed to clean up what? (even easier)

P.P.S geyser, Sober is such a ...definite description.

#38 11/17/07 12:11

Your_Mom
Website

Now that, made a whole lot more sense.

droid803sig.jpg

#39 11/17/07 14:11

geyser
Website

"come on- just think!" - No! No! smile

Last edited by geyser (11/17/07 14:11)

#40 11/30/07 23:11

gorilla325

it seems to me that some of you are doing a very ambitious mod for Oni.  i am intrigued, best wish for those talents!  also hope bungie, or the publishers of Oni would not interfere! 

back to ideas for Oni2. 

for me, what's so disappointed about Oni are gun plays and platforming(interaction with environment).  i don't think platforming should be as good as PoP, or tomb raider.  but i felt the whole was basically just running, running, and running.  it's kind sad.  it looks like a basic design problems.  however, it's not just that.  because Jumping in Oni was terrible.  it had a certain flowing feeling to it.  i could not jump precisely and accurately with that flowing feeling.  I wish jumping could be fixed, design some interesting level for platforming, and if they could, put climbing in the game please.  it would be fun to do something with platforming and silent kills, but i fear this might take away the main gameplay, melee fights. 

Gun Play is another issue, it's...inferior in Oni.  I don't necessarily think that FPS is required to be included in Oni2.  There're games that's fun in 3rd person perpective.  But the whole thing should change a bit in Oni2.  Adding some kind system like gears of war, or MDK, or anything else besides the current models. 

for the melee fighting system, i like the current model.  but i felt there're still much to be improved.  i actually would like to put interaction buttom(Ctrl) into melee, so i could grab my opponent's arms, or legs.  then i could either punch them, kick them, or just break the arms or legs to incapacitate them.  oh, and i'd like to see a training dojo, or something like that.  so i could practice my moves.  somebody mentioned melee weapons, i'd like to see that too,  though i'd think that melee weapon would be even harder for collision detection.  Online would be awesome. 

storywise, i'd like to see a world of declining.  there're guns, robots, but they are dying out.  because i kept thinking in what situation would we bring melee in as primary way of fighting.  i think a world of shortage of guns and robots will be the answer.  but of course, i am just day dreaming.  tongue   oh, by the way, i'd like to see multiple characters to be playable in the beginning of Oni2.  thus, one character could be very good at platforming, the other character are not.  this way the game creating two clearly different paths to play.  riding a motorcycle would be awesome too. 

currently there're only two PC games i saw had very good melee gameplays, one is Oni, the other one is blade of darkness.  there's another game called Elveon seemed to be awesome as well, pray it wil lcome out on PC one day...  Oni 2 as well.  oh, and good luck on Oni mod thing!

#41 12/02/07 04:12

LastmanSAC

I changed my opinion on the fps after playing Hitman: blood money. So i'm with you.
The idea about guns running out is pretty original too.

#42 12/20/07 16:12

gorilla325

forgot to mention the multiplayer mode!  big_smile

#43 12/21/07 05:12

LastmanSAC

How about a Daoden v Human deathmatch, one guy plays as Konoko while 20 others try to take konoko down - a bit like on Perfect Dark.

#44 12/21/07 17:12

Gumby

>_> Should be coming in the next version of OTA...I like 1 vs all fights...even though its not much of a team game anymore...>_>

As soon as I hook up my computer again...right now I'm using my Wii+USB Keyboard (wireless too ^_^)...my computer was getting too much of a distraction...and my grades need fixing...but there should be more stuff coming for it in...3 weeks or less...

Hmm...more ideas...

How about a poisonous gas mode? Though that might take too much repetitive coding...we'll see ^_^

I have wayyy too many ideas and not the work ethic to complete them....x_X

Bleh...>_> <_< >_> <_< >_> <_< >_> <_< >_> <_<

See ya all later...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#45 12/21/07 22:12

gorilla325

i am thinking it's not necessary Konoko to appear.  the sequel  could be decades after the disaster.

#46 12/22/07 05:12

LastmanSAC

i'm not so sure about that, but i only feel that way since the Butterfly Effect 2 came out.

#47 12/22/07 17:12

geyser
Website

How about a Daoden v Human deathmatch, one guy plays as Konoko while 20 others try to take konoko down - a bit like on Perfect Dark.

It's a bit like Serious Sam: massive hordes of enemies against an überpowered Konoko.
Most enemies you can defeat with a single punch, but you still have to handle them.
You can also punch/kick/throw objects around over long distances. Enemies, too smile
And yeah, we've been through that before, already back on the ASFO2 thread...

i am thinking it's not necessary Konoko to appear.  the sequel  could be decades after the disaster.

My idea was 2 decades later. Konoko didn't age. Instead she hid away and slept through the whole thing.
Through her trauma/coma, she lost her memories of Oni's events and her Daodan powers are latent, too.
This allows for a new quest for truth and identity that the player can identify with even better than in Oni.

Last edited by geyser (12/22/07 17:12)

#48 12/22/07 18:12

VidBoi7

Konoko is such an interesting and unexplored character, though. It'd be a shame to not use her.
The idea of amnesia would make it a good new 'first' experience, though it would have to have some more justification than that. Why would Mai break down like that? She IS a tough cookie.

And progression of power in an action game is ... a bit iffy, frankly. When it makes sense in the storyline -- a newbie advancing in capacity -- its okay, but ... meh. I'm not eloquent ATM.
You could make Mai a bit less overpowering by simple fact a good portion of people have likely undergone Chrysalis implants to survive.

The plot should probably work on the undeveloped things from Oni. Where Mai's father disappeared, Mai's relationship with Griffin (assuming she didn't off him), her own internal conflicts (As long as its more than fighting the killer nature of the Daodan >>;; )... Heck, maybe even some more info on who Mukade was?

#49 12/22/07 19:12

geyser
Website

No, "Chrysalis to the people" is a no-way. But then again, Mai's amnesia would make her "normal again", so she'd fight pretty much like in Oni... at first.
We developed on amnesia (and on Mukade, and on many of those "undeveloped things") on the ASFO2 thread: http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php?threadid=9

#50 12/23/07 07:12

LastmanSAC

I think...actually, i'll be back with something later. (evil laugh)

Board footer