Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/19/07 22:11

Seventeen Seconds

Ex-Bungie West HQ?

Apologies if this has been posted already.  This is old news, and there's nothing recent to report either, but did anyone here (I'm looking at you Harry tongue) notice that 2 fairly prominent old skool Bungie West employees started their own game studio in Seattle?  For those who haven't tried to pick apart the tangled web that is Oni's development history, they're Michael Evans and Hamilton Chu, respectively the Oni Project Lead and Producer.  No big deal, right, except for this charming quote:

Giant Bite Studios wrote:

We have signed up with Cafepress who make some awesome shirts and caps with our logo on them. Maybe Michael will stop wearing his Oni T-Shirts and I will stop wearing Microsoft ones..?

They're in the 'concept-generation' phase at the moment, apparently.  So, who's going to write the letter? cool

On a sidenote, Alex Seropian at Wideload Games has started on their next upraised middle-finger to the game industry and the corporate fear of genre-breaking, risk, innovation and reduced profit margins, Hail to the Chimp.  Considering how low the standard is these day regarding creativity, and that the biggest foreseeable news in the gaming sphere is a spineless Blizzard retread of 90's-era Starcraft, this is worth checking out.  Hey, if they endorse Stephen Colbert, they can't be all bad.

#2 11/20/07 02:11

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Re: Ex-Bungie West HQ?

Yes, I noticed. smile

(Hamilton also cut his long hair which was kinda weird to see)

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#3 11/20/07 07:11

geyser
Website

Harry, I don't know what you're doing to OC right now, but how it links back to the forum is weird. Especially with that link in your sig smile

Another indie spawn off Bungie is Certain Affinity. However, they have never worked on Oni and they apparently won't take any hints.
Not sure if Ex-Bungie West can take the hint: at the end of the day they'd have to buy the franchise back, and they're not fat enough.

They can always make an "Oni 2 in disguise" (Strident:The Shadow Front comes readily to mind, as well as the art on polykarbon.com)

But I think the best initiative at this point is not a letter (no matter how dedicated, it's quite ignorable), but a somewhat publicized event.
(my take on it is the Seventh Anniversary Edition, which is shaping up pretty well and should be quite a makeover for all Oni versions)

So there wink

EDIT: Oh, and I still have rather high hopes for Cameron's Battle Angel movie/game. Shouldn't be much worse than Path of Neo, right?

Last edited by geyser (11/20/07 14:11)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 11/20/07 14:11

guido
Website

Hey the Canadians here are plotting something... and they are putting everybody else aside!

They're in the 'concept-generation' phase at the moment, apparently.  So, who's going to write the letter?

yes let's write a letter. I will bring you some paper, my brand new pen and much motivation!

But I think the best initiative at this point is not a letter (no matter how dedicated, it's quite ignorable), but a somewhat publicized event.

hm... weren't you the one who proposed to send a "snail mail" to the ppl at T2, Geyser?

What if this is as good as it gets?

#5 11/20/07 15:11

geyser
Website

hm... weren't you the one who proposed to send a "snail mail" to the ppl at T2, Geyser?

Yeah, and you know the rest of that Omega story, don't you?
I simply have no time to give that letter the work it deserves.
And I also realized that the letter had to showcase something.
So the Edition seems to be the only way to go for me right now.

Last edited by geyser (11/20/07 15:11)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#6 11/23/07 00:11

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

geyser wrote:

Harry, I don't know what you're doing to OC right now, but how it links back to the forum is weird. Especially with that link in your sig smile

Contrary to popular belief, I do things with a specific purpose in mind. tongue

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#7 11/23/07 07:11

geyser
Website

Damn Canadians... being secretive about nothing tongue

#8 11/24/07 01:11

LastmanSAC

O think that Oni is set in Canada.

anyway geyser, didn't the French colonise Canada? tongue

Board footer