Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 06/22/13 12:06

Shade

Do you think Oni deserves a sequel?

I've been thinking about Oni's ending and its been making me wondering why has the game been left off from there? Do you think the guys over at Bungie will ever pick up Oni again and make a sequel to the game? Or did they completely forgot about it? I know they've been working on Halo and recently Bungie made a new game called Destiny and I want to pre-order it but don't have the money to pre-order a PS4 or the game.  Do you think Bungie will ever make the game come back to life since anyone barely knows about Oni? Or would a sequel ruin it all? Need your opinions.

#2 06/22/13 12:06

Gumby

Re: Do you think Oni deserves a sequel?

T2 owns Oni. Apparently when Bungie tried to buy their properties back at one point, T2 wanted too much. So there's that. Blame T2.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 06/23/13 07:06

tens

No, I'm sure if the developers saw potential or if they thought the fan-base was big enough to cover atleast half of the game's production or cost at which they bought it, they would surely have taken the risk... but big companies now-a-days are barely doing anything which seems risky. A few gaming commentators like NL and TB mentioned it. They stick to the franchises and stuff they know well and are sure to make a hit. So when a prequel or a completely different game comes up which is like Oni. It would surely be by Indie developers and then might be picked up by the bigger companies. But the indie developers would go into a more arcade style as the graphics or engines would be good enough to make a game focused on story and proper hand-to-hand combat, therefore the title would be left alone by the majority.

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#4 06/28/13 18:06

Shade

Gumby wrote:

T2 owns Oni. Apparently when Bungie tried to buy their properties back at one point, T2 wanted too much. So there's that. Blame T2.

Gumby, were those the same people who bought out Myth as well? Just wondering. smile

#5 06/29/13 15:06

Jon God

Well, not so much bought...

The QA team of Myth wasn't large enough, so when they found a bug in Myth II for windows post disk printing; one that would erase your entire HDD if it was named the wrong thing, and you were uninstalling Myth... They decided to take the hit, and just recall the disks before they went out. This cost them an insane amount of money, despite Myth II being a large success, it only barely covered this, and in the end, they were left in debt.

Take 2 bailed them out, by buying 40% or so of their company, in return they'd publish Oni. During the long troubled development of Oni, Microsoft bought Bungie, since Take 2 still owned a fair amount of Bungie, an arrangement was reached. Take two got to keep the Myth series, and the yet unreleased Oni.

Take 2 would go on to release Oni unsuccesfully, as well as 2 re-releases of Myth 2, and Myth 3 by a different company. They had planned for a Myth 4 and Oni 2, but Both Oni and Myth 3 bombed, and they didn't think it worth the risk.

Since then they've pretty much ignored that they exist. Heck, someone brought up Myth to Take 2 recently they didn't even know they owned it, and it took them a few days to track down the documents. I'd assume Oni is in the same boat there.

Jon-God.jpg
PSN: Jon_God
XBL: Ernie The Bear

#6 08/02/13 13:08

tens

If anything this game should get a sequel for introducing this fighting system. I have many games i want sequels for none which were fulfilled but many deserved it, just like this game. I just hope in the future the people recognize the potentional of a game with this kinda fighting system. *Hopefully*

What does it matter? Even if the odds are against me, I'll do it, it doesn't matter.

#7 08/11/13 15:08

kyletm57

I think this game deserved a sequel back in the early 2000's, but now...I just think it's too late. Something along the lines of a reboot would be fantastic, but it's pretty unlikely that we'll ever see one. Additionally, if someone were to make a reboot or sequel, I'm fairly sure they would screw it up. Gamers these days have very different preferences and expectations than what we had when this game was released.

banner2440.jpg

#8 08/11/13 16:08

TOCS

Like kyletm57 says, the game needs a complete reboot. And for optimal outcome a few criteria has to be met:

• The original developers of Oni needs to be involved as well as the old voice actors

• An entirely new engine written from scratch made specifically for Oni

• Any lost material cut during development of the original game needs to be at least looked through for inspiration

• The storyline has quite a few gaps which needs to be filled

• Multiplayer mode

• Steam support, including Steam Workshop so modding is easier

• OTA style game mode for free-roaming so people can practice moves without having to play the story over and over again

• Possible achievements

Those are just some of things that should be included if the game was to be rebooted sometime in the future. However the general gamer is too overshadowed by lousy gimmicky triple-AAA titles these days, so even if this was made, barely anyone would hear of it.

*This is of course just my opinion.

#9 08/11/13 16:08

Knox

TOCS wrote:

Like kyletm57 says, the game needs a complete reboot. And for optimal outcome a few criteria has to be met:

• The original developers of Oni needs to be involved as well as the old voice actors

• An entirely new engine written from scratch made specifically for Oni

• Any lost material cut during development of the original game needs to be at least looked through for inspiration

• The storyline has quite a few gaps which needs to be filled

• Multiplayer mode

• Steam support, including Steam Workshop so modding is easier

• OTA style game mode for free-roaming so people can practice moves without having to play the story over and over again

• Possible achievements

Ditto.

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#10 08/11/13 20:08

tens

i don't think, it'll by ignored/heard of, as many games which are small time, are being noticed in society as long the game itself isn't weak. If the game had a strong sense of uniqueness with a mix of good development. Many game reviewers would like it for that itself. Many gamers would at first be paranoid to spend cash upon it. But game reviewers now-a-days completely look at the game with a impartial method and give a good impression where it's deserved. As long as the game development goes well and they have a good story along with it's unique fighting style it would probably get around 8 or 9. But yeah, game developers don't experiment as much as they used to, they barely take any risks anymore as the industry is slowly becoming a battleground for them.

Board footer