Oni Central Forum

A Community-driven Forum discussing Bungie's Oni

You are not logged in.

#1 2/9/12 9:36

Striker
Member

[Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

The series is now abandoned and the videos will be deleted.

Last edited by Striker (3/10/12 15:08)


Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Offline

#2 2/9/12 10:48

Lithium
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Yay I love Lps

Offline

#3 2/9/12 11:18

Valkyrur
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Y'all can all thank me for mentioning doing a Daggerfall LP in a conversation with him.


SelvariaSigTG_zps73b33612.png

Offline

#4 2/9/12 12:50

Iritscen
Moderator

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Ah, neat.  I think it came out well overall.  If I had any criticisms, it would just be that I like my LPs slightly less R-rated and more newbie-friendly :-)  You spent more time swearing at bad guys than explaining what was happening in the game's story or what tactics you were using (for instance, hypo overpower mode goes totally unexplained).  And when you tried to jump the crates to go up a level, and kept missing, it made it look like the game had control or level design issues, as the newbie doesn't realize you could have easily just used the stairs instead or made the jump on the first try if you let yourself build up more steam before jumping (you also don't seem to be familiar with the off-edge jumping exploit).

I only mention these things because LPs tend to be made by people who've played the game so many times that they no longer even consciously notice what they're doing, and the result is that the uninitiated viewer gets a kind of blurry sensory overload while the veteran player rushes through his paces, using shortcuts and terms that they aren't familiar with.  But on the bright side, it was a witty video; the small edits you inserted made me laugh, and your mic level and quality was good.  We can always use more decent LPs for Oni; some of them are a bit annoying, or even recorded entirely in the wrong aspect ratio!


byproducts are fine, but where's the beef?

Offline

#5 2/9/12 14:33

uroboros
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

lol your commentary is pretty funneh big_smile

I like the nope.avi at the console

Offline

#6 2/9/12 16:44

Samer
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

I know you personally are against it, but there are plenty of Oni movies out there so I just hope you use this opportunity to also showcase what the AE has to offer, since no one else in the community is stepping up to make a video smile http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=2404.. example you could have used Griffin HD, & New Character Retexture, the old griffin and Kerr make my eyes bleed. You could have also used Bozzman's Warehouse Textures and better console, New menus, and at least Severed's or VR konoko if u don't want to use HD konoko .. You mentioned it's Anniversary Edition so why not show it .. how does this differ than a run using vanilla Oni.
and just to be accurate jewel fix is a package rather than a patch .. patch sounds like it was something to do with the engine while all it took was adding a tram to the trac

Last edited by Samer (2/9/12 16:52)


Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Offline

#7 2/9/12 18:58

Striker
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Samer wrote:

I know you personally are against it, but there are plenty of Oni movies out there so I just hope you use this opportunity to also showcase what the AE has to offer, since no one else in the community is stepping up to make a video smile http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … hp?id=2404.. example you could have used Griffin HD, & New Character Retexture, the old griffin and Kerr make my eyes bleed. You could have also used Bozzman's Warehouse Textures and better console, New menus, and at least Severed's or VR konoko if u don't want to use HD konoko .. You mentioned it's Anniversary Edition so why not show it .. how does this differ than a run using vanilla Oni.
and just to be accurate jewel fix is a package rather than a patch .. patch sounds like it was something to do with the engine while all it took was adding a tram to the trac

Why would you think that I was against the idea of showcasing the AE features? Once I'm finished with the Let's Play series, I will focus on showcasing different packages and mods available for Oni. Also, compared to other games, Oni has a very small amount of Let's Play videos/commentaries.


Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Offline

#8 3/9/12 1:49

Samer
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Striker wrote:

Why would you think that I was against the idea of showcasing the AE features?

well cause of this, since u said u didn't like them so u won't use them while u play hence they won't be shown in your videos.

Striker wrote:

I must be the only one on this forum who doesn't like the custom HD textures and models for characters... I just think that the classic vanilla textures and models are a part of the game that cannot be taken away or replaced.

I just think that you could hit 2 birds with 1 stone if you use AE mods while doing your videos, most new gamers aren't going to be attracted to pixelated textures and old poly models, so I think we should do our best in making the game look as uptodate as possible to attract people who are new to it, which I'm presuming is the goal of ur videos. If that's not the goal and it's just fo fun, then I misunderstood. If u want them to appeal to old users they already know the game so teaching them how to play isn't necessary and if u want them to appeal to new users then as i said i think they won't be impressed with low poly models and textures in the age of 3D gaming and high quailty visual effects.
but the video is fun and entertaining, and you have a good commentary voice and good sound quality, don't think u'd be interested in making some custom sounds for the BGI characters ?


Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

Offline

#9 3/9/12 9:51

Striker
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Samer wrote:

I just think that you could hit 2 birds with 1 stone if you use AE mods while doing your videos, most new gamers aren't going to be attracted to pixelated textures and old poly models, so I think we should do our best in making the game look as uptodate as possible to attract people who are new to it, which I'm presuming is the goal of ur videos. If that's not the goal and it's just fo fun, then I misunderstood. If u want them to appeal to old users they already know the game so teaching them how to play isn't necessary and if u want them to appeal to new users then as i said i think they won't be impressed with low poly models and textures in the age of 3D gaming and high quailty visual effects.
but the video is fun and entertaining, and you have a good commentary voice and good sound quality, don't think u'd be interested in making some custom sounds for the BGI characters ?

I was hoping this to be more of a vanilla playthrough/Let's Play with a few bug fixes and the blood mod (which I just personally like). As I said before though, I will be more than glad to showcase mods for it once I'm done with the Let's Play. I also see how the new graphics might appeal to people who have never seen Oni before, but I feel that showing people the vanilla Oni (or something close to it) would give them a better idea of the game, showing them the good ol' original feel of the game (yeah, yeah, I know, I have blood mod enabled). Hopefully I will be putting out a new episode really soon. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

I would also be willing to make custom sounds if you want, send a private message my way and will will discuss it.


Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Offline

#10 4/9/12 16:34

Striker
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

New video is now out! Check the OP.


Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Offline

#11 16/9/12 20:36

Striker
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Oh yeah, shameless triplepost! New video is out, so check the OP.


Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Offline

#12 16/9/12 20:48

Lithium
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Sweet

Offline

#13 3/10/12 15:07

Striker
Member

Re: [Abandoned] New Let's Play Oni Series

Unfortunately, I will be discontinuing the series because of schoolwork, job and other time-consuming reasons. It simply takes too long to edit the videos and on top of that, Sony Vegas decided to randomly break and I do not want to go through the troubles of getting it back. I apologize to those that have enjoyed my Let's Play series.

Last edited by Striker (3/10/12 15:10)


Click here to see the Oni Roleplay map. Click here to roll the dice. Click here to see the proper troop terminologies.

Offline

Board footer