Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 08/13/12 07:08

Samer
Website

Custom Character Mega Pack - discussion

It's been suggested before to make 1 package with all my custom characters , I was hesitant to do that because it will have a big size  making it hard for me to upload, and if a single character is updated i'll need to re-update the whole package .. However it also has its advantages, making them easier to install cz it will already have the character variant fix.
Therefore once I release the new version of Casey, I'll make a mega pack including : Casey, ShiniBot, Kojiro, Jester, Hayate, Grey Fury, Reg Tanker and Golden TCTF.
I won't include the BGI agents or Jubei and Akane .. instead once other BGI characters are released I'll make another mega pack "NEW BGI Characters." and I won't include James and Jamie now because they need a major update.

I'll give the package a lower number than all other character packages .. therefore you can install the mega pack .. and on top of it any other custom character package ...
so if this pack includes hayate v1 and later i release hayate v2 separetly, u can install hayate v2 with the mega pack to have the updated version

For size and convenience I'll only include 1 outfit for each character (you can still install the main character package with the mega pack to get the additional outfits ..)
So need your opinion to select that 1 outfit for each, keep in mind it must be the most representative of the character ...

For Casey :  blue, cop, light tctf, black ops or lion jacket ? (I'm leaning cop)
2012-08-13_153953.jpg

For Shini .. bot or humane ?
2012-08-13_154410.jpg

For Hayate .. red or white ?
2012-08-13_154139.jpg

For Golden TCTF .. helmet or no helmet ?
2012-08-13_154033.jpg

Kojiro, reg tanker, grey and jester will get their standard outfit
2012-08-13_155807.jpg

Last edited by Samer (10/31/12 05:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#2 08/13/12 10:08

Lukas Kreator

Re: Custom Character Mega Pack - discussion

Maybe we should make a downloader program for the characters, which updates packages automatically and individually if you upload a new version of them to the depot? Just a suggestion.

#3 08/13/12 12:08

Alloc
Website

If all mods were stored in a predefined directory structure in SVN you could easily update packages on client side without a lot of additional coding effort as connection and revision related things are already given.

Just an idea wink

Regards,
Chris

PS: It would also reduce traffic for both uploaders of mod files as well as users as only changed data would be transferred.

Last edited by Alloc (08/13/12 12:08)

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#4 08/13/12 12:08

s10k
Website

I just think we need an AE update, also seems there's many people with outdated onisplit in AE installer.

#5 08/13/12 14:08

Samer
Website

the problem isn't with updating them .. hmm .. The problem is there are too many custom character packages now which discourages people to try them all and install the character variant fix .. If i had 1 mega pack they're easier to install (for the first time, and for the user to get introduced to them..) and for example if a mod needs several custom characters, say team final battle, which uses casey and shinibot, golden tctf, kojiro, grey and tanker, instead of asking the user to install 6 packs to play the mod i can simply say u must have the charactermegapack ...  later he can download each package individually if he wants additional outfits or if they get updated ..so the problem isn't in updating them, though it would be nice to somehow have a program that tells the user the package has been updated, for all packs not just custom characters ..
Though i agree with script, the AE needs an update, i think paradox did update the onisplit and bink32 in it .. However i don't see why the character variant fix and at least some of the characters i made shouldnt be included, example the most famous ones : Casey, kojiro, Shinatamabot, greyfury which were discussed on the forums long before i made them. I think if the AE includes ''new character package'' and ''shinatama too'' then it sure can include my megapack ..

P.S the mega pack will be optional, if u use the character packages individually there's no reason to install it at all. It's only meant to make things easier for new users.

So again tongue please vote for one outfit for each.

Last edited by Samer (08/13/12 15:08)

#6 08/13/12 15:08

Iritscen

Just to comment briefly on the AE thing since my ears are burning -- we always wanted to have the AE automatically detect updates and offer to install them.  And I know we should put out a new AE for a few other reasons too; I'm just waiting on a couple other things to come into place before it's the right time for a new release.  Blame me, if you must, but hold on for another month or two and something should happen.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 08/13/12 15:08

Samer
Website

no one wants to vote sad ?

@ Iritscen i know u guys are busy and as u put it before it's a lot of pressure on just u and gumby .. but by now we do have much more new content from HD models and textures to levels and characters than what was available about 2 years ago .. WE CAN HELP compile packages and offer ideas for a new AE.

example : HD griffin, HD konoko, Severed updated textures, the New Brutal AI package, my character retexture and some of the new characters and character variants, the Arena level and Leus's Oni Zen Garden, Jewel fix by Striker and myself (allows comguys and others to be affected by willow kick), A fix for throws not affecting stunned enemies .. these should be included and we can help with them ..

Last edited by Samer (08/13/12 16:08)

#8 08/13/12 16:08

Xero

First, thank u for improving the character's models
Second, my opinion: Casey            Cop and Lion Jacket (I like both outfits)
                            Shinatama      Human
                            Hayate          White
                            Golden TCTF   Helmet
Keep up the good work smile

#9 08/13/12 16:08

EdT
Website

My Votes:

Casey: TCTF, since similar to this outfit: http://wiki.oni2.net/File:Act_1_.MISSION_FAILED.png
Shin: Bot
Hayate: Red
Golden TCTF: Helmet

#10 08/13/12 16:08

s10k
Website

Casey: Cop (but I love the jacket one, but cop will be better for mods I believe)
Shin: I love the human one, but probably bot makes more sense for mods
Hayate: Red
Golden TCTF: Helmet

Iritscen wrote:

Blame me, if you must, but hold on for another month or two and something should happen.

Sure Iritscen, I didn't mean to you release it right now. My intention was just to make clear that it is becoming a bit outdated, so we should begin working in new version. A month or two seems fine. If you need help, I can also give you a hand (at least if I grab some free time).

Last edited by s10k (08/13/12 17:08)

#11 08/13/12 17:08

uroboros

casey: tctf
hayate:red
golden tctf:with helmet
shinatama:human

smile

Last edited by uroboros (08/13/12 17:08)

#12 08/13/12 22:08

Knox

Casey: Jacket
Shini: Bot
Hayate: White
Gold TCTF: No Helmet

"New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team."
Oni fan since 2001.

#13 08/13/12 23:08

Lithium

Lion Jack that Golden Helmet from Human Shinitama so it goes well with Hayate's red outfit.

smile

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#14 08/14/12 09:08

Delano762
Website

Casey cop
Shini human
Golden TCTF Helmet

Circus Afro, Circus Afro, Polka Dot, Polka Dot!

#15 08/14/12 10:08

Iritscen

Casey: TCTF, for the reason EdT gave.
Shinatama: I'm torn on this one because the human model is too pretty to be used in fights in my opinion (plus it's out of character for her to fight in the first place).  But I'm not as big a fan of the Frankenbot model :-)  I'd rather just have the original model modified to fight (as was done with Shinatama Too) if we need something that can fight.  But if we're just going on appearance between the two models, I'd go with the human one.
Hayate: White
Golden TCTF: Helmet.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#16 08/14/12 10:08

Samer
Website

thanks for voting for now smile .. Iritscen I always thought that if shinitama would fight she won't do that in her miniature 11 year old girl like look tongue but i guess it's a matter of preference, however i must say i think 'shinitama too' can use an update .. with different colors cz she looks a little like a zombie with those colors for me :$, I'd rather she uses the original textures or at least same color theme maybe but darker, and she should use the updated severed face. I'm sure the first time it was made it was a breakthrough but now we could really improve those textures ... If others agree may I update her ? (just the textures not the model tongue) I'll make her resemble original shinitama but with darker colors and severed face ^_^ she'll look real nice)

#17 08/14/12 11:08

Samer
Website

ok results tongue
Hayate red : 4   white : 3
Shini : human : 5  bot : 3 
Casey it's a tie between cop, tctf and lion jacket at 3 .. need a tie breaker
Golden almost all voted with helmet

#18 08/15/12 12:08

AdamBast

casey: 2
shini: 2
hayate: 1
golden: 2

My head is bangin'
You're killing me
Please don't stop

#19 08/15/12 22:08

Samer
Website

thanks adam smile
so it will include
shini humane outfit, hayate red oufit, golden tctf with helmet, and for casey : cop + another thing smile

#20 09/06/12 01:09

Samer
Website

EdT .. For the level ..
the idea was to have a simple room where waves of custom characters would battle you . and game saves every few rounds .. Example round 1:3 blakop caren(s) round 2 1 golden tctf and 2 swats round 3 2 golden and 1 caren save pt 2 : round 1 casey and 2 light tctf then grey and 2 furies etc .. this is 1 mod. Called custom character wave challenge at the end there's a bonus round vs rayman  - other outsider characters and once it ends u 'unlock' him as a playable character will have to figure out how to do that, i have an idea for it.
It will be 6 save points and 21 rounds with increasing difficulty the 21st is the bonus round.

a second mod would be to master each custom character ability ..
setting the player as casey for example and having a short mission where he fights some strikers and then fights kojiro ..
Then setting player as kojiro and fighting some tctf officers and then fights casey
set player as hayate and fight some ninjas ..
set player as jester and fight a mix of tctf and syndicate
set player as golden tctf and take out reg tanker .. Then vice versa ..
set player as shinibot and take down grey fury .. Then vice versa ..

For that second mod i was hoping someday somehow to make something like ur boss battle level.

for the casey and kojiro part it will be set in a lobby or parking lot of the tctf hq or any closed room from hq or hq redux .. (but not the roof nor vault)
for the hayate part it could use a hall from ur china mod or just any room textured with the china level textures with some columns.
for the golden tctf vs reg tanker it could also use any room or tctf hq office .. And for the shinibot vs grey fury part any room from atmospheric center interior .. And for jester a room from dream lab (where u fight evil konoko or furies or griffin)

And that way i can also use those rooms for the first mod to change scenary at evey save point ..

If that's easy for you to set up then I'd be very grateful.

I took a look at the link but i don't really understand what I'm seeing tongue for example the model of the house .. Is there something in it or is it just an exterior ..

if combining existing parts of levels is more difficult than making a new one then we need to find some sort of tower which is like 6 stories with a roof, simple room each or build one just by stacking simple rectangular rooms on top of each other and putting some simple stuff in them like crates or offices and texture them differently, rug, tile, change fog color .. You ascend the tower a level after each save point till u reach the roof where there's a helicopter on top tongue
the rooms don't even need to be connected we could just have a door that doesn't open and teleport konoko after each save point.
This also can be used for the 2 mods : wave challenge and the playable custom character challange.

I'm not familiar with building levels so i asked lucas to just build me 1 simple rectangular room with some crates in it which are climable when one wants to get away from fight to use a hypo for example. But he said he doesn't have oni installed on his pc so he might have some trouble. However if u have the time and could make or find either the tower. Or
combine those already exisitng rooms i mentioned .. Whichever is easier ..or if u feel up for it have the tower (simple rooms with crates and desks and helicopter on top) for mod 1 and the combined levels parts (dream lab, tctf hq, atmos interior, china themed room) for mod 2 cz either way i'll need 2 levels 1 for each mod as each mod will have several save points
I would be grateful....and I still have a lot of stuff to do before I release the megapack so there's no rush will take me a few weeks at least.

As for the level with Oni outsider characters we can make a variation of this one .. Jungle for lara .. Cartoony for rayman .. Palace room for dante/jester .. I was not familiar with Alita/master chief/motoko till i saw them here so I don't know what would fit them :$ however this will be something different than my megapack, different package  as it would include several characters from other modders, and doesnt have to include casey or shinibot or kojiro for example.

Last edited by Samer (09/06/12 02:09)

#21 09/06/12 19:09

EdT
Website

I'll see what I can do...

#22 09/10/12 17:09

Samer
Website

This mod is gonna be huge big_smile thanks to EdT ^_^ !

#23 09/12/12 09:09

Samer
Website

some spoilers :
Oni%25202012-09-12%252017-23-08-64.jpg
Oni%25202012-09-12%252017-12-58-40_cr.jpg

huge thanks to Ed again big_smile

#24 09/12/12 10:09

ltemplar

Wow.. nice.. but Edt please, add this time some furnitures...and fauna: trees, brushes, some cabinets, chairs, tables, lamps, doors..anything....I played two of your levels(the Lair , and the Old china)..and there are so empty.....Somebody stole all the stuff from there or what?

Last edited by ltemplar (09/12/12 10:09)

#25 09/12/12 10:09

Samer
Website

Importing levels into oni is not as easy as u might think, it took a lot of work ... And till recently it was only something we dreamed about .. And oni itself lacks furniture ..
in addition Edt's china level was labeled 'beta'  in a recent screenshot he posted u can see he added a tree there.

Board footer