Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/28/12 15:05

paradox-01

How do you avoid holes in the surface when making a new level?

How do you avoid holes in the surface when making a new level?
And is there a way fix those random holes?

I have currently a simple "sandbox"/desert level over here. (Screenshot of the problem included.)
It's just made of triangles and one texture. Any ideas what's wrong?

#2 05/28/12 16:05

Iritscen

Re: How do you avoid holes in the surface when making a new level?

Are those holes really there?  That is, can you fall through them?  Because otherwise, those are probably just holes in the ray-casting when performing occlusion culling.  If so, they will vanish as you move towards them with the camera.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 05/28/12 18:05

EdT
Website

I looked at the dae in a 3D program, the problem could be too many triangles in a small area.  Also, for level geometry, it does not have to be triangulated, it can be made up of quads.

EDIT: I reduced the polygon count by half and no more holes.   I also added a simple bnv so that AI can move around and fight.

level_T01.jpg

My files: http://edt.oni2.net/files/level_T01.zip
I used the command: -create:level test/out test/level_T01.xml, moved the created files to level5_Final folder and recompiled.

#4 05/30/12 15:05

paradox-01

I didn't triangulated the level on purpose; the program I use just can't make quads.
Anyway, thank you Ed for the files, I tested them today and they work great.

I'm currently not focusing on pathfinding but it's good that you added bnvs so I've the latest example in this field.

The triangle limit for characters (per body part) is about 1024. What about objects and the level itself? How many triangles/quads are allowed there?

The next thing I want to add is a leafless tree with lots of triangles. TXMP and M3GM are ready but after import it didn't show up. I will try it again with OFGA as container.

#5 05/30/12 16:05

EdT
Website

I think the most polygons you can have in a level is around 80,000.

Objects need to be triangulated, I don't know the maximum number of polygons.  However, i do know that if an object has too many polygons and the player collides with it, then the player can fall through the floor or other problems can occur.  The Junkyard level had some of those issues, for example near the Iron Demon or the ninjabot.

In that case you have to enclose that object with an invisible box.  If you look at existing objects in Oni, they have some sort of invisible box around them.

Can your program create larger triangles?  Or have you tried Sketchup?

#6 05/30/12 19:05

Iritscen

paradox-01 wrote:

The triangle limit for characters (per body part) is about 1024.

The limit is 2048 vertices/4096 polys per object, whether it be a body part or otherwise.  We sometimes cut those numbers in half when stating them, to encourage modellers to leave room for quick-and-dirty cel-shading to be applied (since it doubles the polys).

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#7 05/30/12 20:05

EdT
Website

Speaking of trees:

trees_test.jpg

This was made up of 8 polygons with the tree texture applied to them

#8 05/31/12 13:05

paradox-01

Pretty minimalist and pretty good looking. Maybe I can use that method when adding leafs.

I added my first object into the level, couldn't 100% fix the fall-through-ground syndrome yet. Maybe the complicated objects aren't allowed to touch the ground?

Will toy some more with the level geometry and hopefully figure a good way out how to split areas so they can hold individual textures.

PS: Thanks for the other detail limit hints.

#9 05/31/12 22:05

EdT
Website

I don't know if there will be a difference if the complicated objects are not touching the ground.  I suppose we can test that theory.

If you continue to have problem, post your files and I will take a look at them.

What 3D program are you using?

Board footer