Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/12/12 00:05

EdT
Website

Old China Level Mod - Final - Oct 17 2012 Update

OldChinaIntro.jpg

Mukade has taken over Forbidden City and is using it as the ninja's training grounds.

You start off as a lowly thug, can you pass the 10 challenges and missions to rise up the ranks of the ninjas.
The missions are slightly different depending on your game setting either Normal or Hard.

This mod is a prequel to the events in Oni, so don't expect to see Konoko. smile

After nearly 5 months of work, the Old China - Rise of the Ninjas mod is done and available to install from within your Anniversary Edition Installer.

I want to thank script10k for all his awesome coding and help. He made this mod come alive!

Note: I have not beaten the Hard Mode, lol, Enjoy!

Last edited by Iritscen (05/04/13 10:05)

#2 05/12/12 04:05

Samer
Website

Re: Old China Level Mod - Final - Oct 17 2012 Update

I'm not good with scripting, but I hope u include hayate in some way because this is like the perfect level for him.

I loved when u had several save points with different game modes in the Dust level.

a story line i suggest is : the syndicate are attacking the town, and hayate (local hero, preferably in his red dragon costume big_smile) is there to fight them off and konoko comes to investigate, then it turns a competition between konoko and hayate : a race to a specific point in the level, then who can kill more syndicate ninjas in a time limit, then finally a showdown battle between the 2, (stop battle before anyone really dies and admit defeat at health = 1)

Last edited by Samer (05/12/12 04:05)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#3 05/12/12 04:05

Lithium

Hayate killed his father by accident and is wreaking havoc on the local dojo out of frustration and anger at himself... YEAH!

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 05/12/12 04:05

gmsly

Samer wrote:

I'm not good with scripting, but I hope u include hayate in some way because this is like the perfect level for him.

I loved when u had several save points with different game modes in the Dust level.

a story line i suggest is : the syndicate are attacking the town, and hayate (local hero, preferably in his red dragon costume big_smile) is there to fight them off and konoko comes to investigate, then it turns a competition between konoko and hayate : a race to a specific point in the level, then who can kill more syndicate ninjas in a time limit, then finally a showdown battle between the 2, (stop battle before anyone really dies and admit defeat at health = 1)

How a good classical heroism story

#5 05/12/12 07:05

Coyote

De_dust was great for different game mods. Although the big maps like Muro's Lair or this one should be dedicated for some RPG mod when you're free to choose what to do in a game(Lots of npcs, lots of enemies, lots of quests, events, secrets). I wonder if it's possible to implement so many things without getting crash.

Old China looks fabulous, but it sure does need retexturing.

Last edited by Coyote (05/12/12 07:05)

Does your blood burn when you kill? Mine does

#6 05/12/12 09:05

Lukas Kreator

For the race thing:
1- set the objective to the target location of the race (target_set?);
2- use ai2_dopath and then check for when the other racer (Hayate/Konoko) is idle;
If this happens before the player has completed the objective, the player lost the race. Otherwise, the player has won.

I would script this myself but I have no knowledge about 'paths'.

#7 05/12/12 21:05

EdT
Website

Hopefully, by next weekend, I can release a preview package with some basic scripts.  My initial idea is that this level is the ninja's training ground and the scripts will have you playing as a green ninja and you have to work your way up to a red ninja.  I wanted to try a different approach where you are not the main character, but can have a role in the outcome.  So the other main characters will be in the game, but they will be controlled by the computer.

Of course, since we can have up to 9 or 10 savepoints, we can use them for the other script ideas.
For example, another idea I had was something similar to gmsly's TCTF mod, however, you can choose which side you want to play in a major team battle.  Perhaps the ninja training ground is attacked by the TCTF led by Konoko.  gmsly do you have time to write that script???

Samer's idea is cool, but who can write that script?

Re-texturing can be a challenge, since the buildings are using non-tiling textures, so the textures are scaled up to fit the model.  That is why they don't have nice details.  If I can get someone to create new detailed building textures at a larger size, they should look better.

Oh well, I think this mod will be a long term project, hopefully, we can make it a community effort.

#8 05/12/12 22:05

Lukas Kreator

Cool! I made a script some time ago which would level up the player according to the kill count, from a weak ninja to Mukade himself. There was a mechanic that let the player become invisible for a short amount of time, and then it had to recharge. Whenever the player would level up, the amout of time he could become invisible would also be upgraded. Looking forward to this project.

#9 05/12/12 22:05

EdT
Website

Lukas: Can I get the level up script?  It's probably better than my current script smile

Also, regarding the race script, I think the approach is to set up flags that leads up to the target then make a series of patrol paths that goes from one flag to the next.  You would have to script it so that once the AI defeats all the enemies in one area it would move to the next patrol path. 

I would position the flags and make the patrol paths, then all you would need to do is script the race!

#10 05/13/12 06:05

Samer
Website

ok maybe just a battle against hayate tongue if the race thing is difficult

#11 05/13/12 13:05

Lukas Kreator

Oh, actually, I think I might have lost it... Also, it was made for the Daodan Beta, so it would need some modifications.
I will try to find it here in my backups, but I'm unsure.

#12 05/13/12 23:05

gmsly

EdT wrote:

Of course, since we can have up to 9 or 10 savepoints, we can use them for the other script ideas.
For example, another idea I had was something similar to gmsly's TCTF mod, however, you can choose which side you want to play in a major team battle.  Perhaps the ninja training ground is attacked by the TCTF led by Konoko.  gmsly do you have time to write that script???

I would like try to make a team battle for the mod

#13 05/15/12 21:05

EdT
Website

Testing the concept of a race with AI. 
http://youtu.be/JVySbVPwsc0

Some things to note, I used the command ai2_movetoflag for the AI.  The AI has to be unkillable to continue the race.   There has to be way to detect when all the enemies are defeated. Also, I had to use a sleep 480 after the enemy was defeated before giving the next command of ai2_movetoflag.  Otherwise, if the command is given too soon the AI will not respond.

So the race thing is possible, Lukas, it is now up to you smile

Here is my code snippet

ai2_spawn hayate
			chr_unkillable hayate 1
			chr_teleport hayate 217
			ai2_setmovementmode hayate run
			ai2_movetoflag hayate 212

ai2_spawn ninja_b2
			chr_teleport ninja_b2 212
			chr_wait_health ninja_b2 1
			sleep 480
			ai2_movetoflag hayate 102
			ai2_setmovementmode hayate run
			ai2_spawn ninja_g1
			ai2_spawn ninja_g2
			chr_teleport ninja_g1 102
			chr_teleport ninja_g2 102

#14 05/15/12 21:05

Lukas Kreator

Well, I might need the map or at least something physically compatible to it to test the script on.

Also, if you could please answer these questions for me...
1- the kind of flag the ai2_movetoflag refers to is the same kind of flag you teleport characters to, right?
2- are there enough flags in the map to make a full route or would I need to put some more on it?
3- will the AI always stop to fight if they encounter an enemy? Wouldn't that make it quite easy for the player to win the race, by just running without fighting?
(or did I misunderstand it and Hayate had actually finished his route before starting to fight?)

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (05/15/12 21:05)

#15 05/15/12 23:05

Loser

Comrades, how about using properly tweaked alarm behavior for the race?
Add new combat profile to CMBT file. Give it some ID number and a nice name ("EdT_Lukas_race" seems legit ^_^)

Behaviors:
Long range - FiringCharge
Medium range - RunForAlarm
ShortRange - Melee
MediumRetreat - RunForAlarm
LongRetreat - FiringCharge

Ranges:
medium range - maybe 50 for starters
long range - for the purpose of this CMBT's behaviour trick, always let it be "medium range + 1", so in this example it would be 51.
Melee Override - ShortRange
IfNoGun - RunForAlarm

Alarm:
SearchDistance - so large that it covers the entire level area.
EnemyIgnoreDistance - let's say 85 for this example
EnemyAttackDistance - 50 should do the trick.
DamageThreshold - Maybe 180 (three seconds) will be enough?
FightTimer - 300 (five seconds)

Next, in BINA/CHAR profile of the racer, set his "Lost" behavior to "FindAlarm".
Finally, place a console (BINA/CONS instance, 3D model not needed ^_^) with Alarm flag at the place you want the A.I. to run to. Rotate it nicely.
Start the game, show the racer some enemy or execute ai2_doalarm "name_of_the_racer" "console ID".

Happy racing.

EDIT 1 - to shorten the fight span and make the racer brawl only when absolutely needed, decrease EnemyAttackDistance (maybe 35 or less is enough?) and decrease FightTimer (60 - one second). That should work. The racer can be done totally ignorant of enemies (set EnemyAttackDistance to zero), but I do not recommend it as the racer will then ignore even enemies right in front of its face.

EDIT 2 - also, through ai2_attack some enemies (with sprinting mod, if possible) can be made to exclusively target Konoko. Personally I recommend Ninja class with dash mod because of two reasons. For first, their sprint is actually a bit faster than Konoko's. For second, I see the modified A.I. is used, so they will not hesitate to take Konoko for a ride (tackle move heavily used). That should scale the odds and balance for A.I. racer's silliness.

Last edited by Loser (05/15/12 23:05)

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#16 05/15/12 23:05

EdT
Website

Lukas: You can make a test script using any of the levels.  Perhaps the Tarmac on the airport level.  Have the AI move to a flag, fight some enemies, then move to another flag, fight and so on.
1) Yes, same flag number
2) No, I will be adding more flags for the entire route, this was a test of the concept
3) Yes, AI stops to fight.  I was thinking more of a race as to who can defeat all the enemies the fastest to the target location.

If you can write the basic racing script, I can modify it for this level.  There are a lot of things on the model that needs fixing.

Loser:  I will have to test your idea out.  Though I can already see some pathfinding issues with this level.  Even in my limited testing, there are times where the AI just stops, even though I have the bnv and ghost quads set correctly.  Hopefully, when you are on summer vacation you can help me with this level.

#17 05/16/12 05:05

gmsly

I saw the test video corpse immediately disappeared, is so weird
Why not retain the body, I think most player don;t like this set

#18 05/16/12 11:05

Lukas Kreator

I will start scripting the Flags version, while EdT tests the Alarm Behaviour idea. If that works, I can make another script for the race with alarms.

EDIT: Buuut... Seems I'll have to learn how to create flags first...

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (05/16/12 11:05)

#19 05/16/12 12:05

EdT
Website

gmsly:  As you can see in my code, I did not intentionally have the corpse immediately disappear.  Do you know how to keep them on screen?

Lukas: No need to create flags, here is a screenshot of some flags you can use in the Airport level:
Airportflags.jpg

Note: the ability to see the flags is only available in the Mac Intel version

Here is a link to the flag locations for most of the levels in Oni:
http://zdlo.oni2.net/Items/Flags/

#20 05/16/12 13:05

Lukas Kreator

Ohh, thanks, I only tested the lower numbers. Didn't know about the higher ones.

Progress:
Having problems with enemies going up ramps, but the script is in the works.

Last edited by Lukas Kreator (05/17/12 12:05)

#21 05/16/12 19:05

gmsly

EdT: just a suggestion, can retain the cartridge-case in AE, why not corpse. Version PC does not like this but when i play the Boss Battle Level the corpse immediately disappear too

#22 05/16/12 19:05

Iritscen

I don't know a lot about corpses, but I was involved with the longer-lasting bullet casing mod in the AE (though Loser was the main creator of it).  Bullet casings are particles, so it's easier to just set the particle to have a longer life.  It may not be as easy to make corpses last longer.  I'm curious, though, EdT, what is the size of the CRSA array for the level?  Could that make a difference?

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#23 05/16/12 20:05

EdT
Website

From the ONLVchina:

<CRSA id="5">
        <FixedCount>0</FixedCount>
        <UsedCount>0</UsedCount>
        <Corpses />
    </CRSA>

I'll need to ask Neo about this, I remember something about the need for empty corpses slot in a level...

#24 05/16/12 20:05

Iritscen

Yes, that's what I was thinking of too.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#25 05/17/12 06:05

Samer
Website

looks good big_smile
2 notes : hayate can dash .. he has the com guys normal run and ninja's dash (run) (double tap w) don't know if it's possible to make him dash script wise, so the race is fairer since konoko can easily dash and outrun him.
also if possible to always have at least 2 enemies at each point half of them attack her and half attack hayate, maybe make konoko and 1/2 of the ninjas on 1 team and the other half on hayte's team, that way she won't just leave him fighting and move in the last minute and take the kill or simply run and leave him fighting all the enemies.

so at first point .. 2 ninjas spawn ( 1 on konoko's team 1 on hayate's team, 1 attacks her 1 attacks him so it's really a matter who can finish first) at second point 4 ninjas spawn ( 2 on konoko's team 2 on hayate's team) 3rd point 4 ninjas or (1 hard 1 easy ninja) for each .. etc till the final point where i think u remove the ignore player and unkillable flag from hayete reset his and her health and make him fight konoko big_smile

i don't mind the corpses disappearing maybe add the death particle from the dream lab .. makes it more mystic like big_smile

Last edited by Samer (05/17/12 07:05)

Board footer