Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 04/04/11 22:04

birdtone

Mac PPC won't boot after install of AE

Hello there!  I have an old tower MAC G4 that I think is running OS10.4.  I use it only for a scanner and to play Oni !  I just attempted to install AE.  I couldn't figure it out.  I think I installed the old 2009 AE version for PPC.  It asked to GLOBALIZE. Anyway I went thru some install windows.  Obviously didn't do it correctly.  The install didn't seem to take.  I could play the game but it seemed the same.

So I tried restarting and now I am looking at the intro Gray Apple screen where the little blue bar runs across the bottom as it loads the operating system.  However nothing happens.  No blue bar movement.  Just hangs.

I can still access the hard drive via TARGET mode and my laptop.  But haven't been able to figure out what is messing with the operating system start up.  Or what I should delete.  Any ideas?   Thanks

#2 04/05/11 00:04

Gumby

Re: Mac PPC won't boot after install of AE

Um, I don't think we did that. Uh, maybe you might want to try posting on an OSX support forum...

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 04/05/11 06:04

Iritscen

Did you change your extensions or your monitor, by any chance?  I actually had the same thing happen to my G4, where the startup process hung right at the beginning of the progress bar stage, and it turned out that disabling a monitor-related extension was the answer — I think it was Apple Monitor Plugins.  Perhaps it was a bad reaction to the new monitor I was using, but once I booted the G4 using a system CD and moved the right INIT out of the Extensions folder, it booted fine.  It might be a different INIT for you, but just use trial and error like I did, and hopefully you can find the offending extension.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 04/05/11 22:04

birdtone

Thanks guys- Just wanted to express some sincere thanks for people like you who keep this project on it's feet for no reason other than love of the game.   I am sure you don't hear it enough -  with everyone having a problem all the time.

But.....back to my problem!
It is definitely related to attempting to install AE Oni or I am thinking now the MONO thing might have tweaked some setting in the System start up ?

Anyhow - I just reloaded OS 10.4 on a aux drive and have the computer up and running.  So I don't know what the problem was - but forgotten.  I have a new question about setting up the AE Oni on this machine - but I will post it in the AE section

Thanks again

#5 04/05/11 22:04

Iritscen

Hmm, I guess I was still waking up when I wrote my post from this morning, and I didn't see that you were running OS X.  When you mentioned the progress bar, all I could think of was the one in the Classic OS startup process.  I don't see the OS X startup process very often so I forgot we still have a progress bar.  Anyway, glad the G4's working again.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer