Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#51 01/29/11 19:01

Mukade

Re: What items from Oni would you like to have?

Ohhh yeah, that would be awesome big_smile

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#52 01/29/11 19:01

Lithium

OK i know hes in level0 but uh...

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#53 01/29/11 20:01

Mukade

If you're still interested, scroll down to the TXMPs, the files you are looking for start at TXMPTextures%2Fbababicep, and go down a bit to TXMPTextures%2Fbabawrist. Extract all those with oni split (Although you might only want the head) And open with photoshop, edit, then reimport. I'd do it myself, but I don't currently have photoshop :-/

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#54 01/29/11 20:01

Lithium

Paint, Flash, and PS is good enough for me
thanks bro, i'm gonna try and make a golden and black barabas, since i love those colors and barabas needs an upgrade
Ok later i'll look into making a package or something so i don't have to delete anything

Last edited by Lithium (01/29/11 20:01)

#55 01/29/11 20:01

Mukade

Well, you can do what I do for testing packages. I just find a package that goes where I want, then I just piggyback it. So you could probably go to KonokoHD texture package and just put any modified textures into there

Yeah, I say photoshop because I know it has a function that can change colors instead of coloring over, i don't know if those other programs do, I don't think Paint does

Last edited by Mukade (01/29/11 20:01)

#56 01/29/11 21:01

Stevinlewis

lol, oxe? Are u sure u wana do modding? XD.

#57 01/29/11 21:01

Lithium

Yes Stevin, i wanna try something...bro
OK so i tried a simple textures, er here's an example
Its crap but it's a simple test...now idk what to with it neutral guess i'll make a topic in help i guess

#58 01/31/11 19:01

Lithium

Idk what do you think
I tried making his red cloth darker but it came almost black entirely
Oni2011-01-3117-48-29-20.png?t=1296521798

The Cloth Texture on the arm and some chest parts came out as transparent, back to the drawing board >.>

Geyser wanted to check it out

Last edited by Lithium (02/02/11 20:02)

#59 01/31/11 21:01

kornflakes89

bumble bee O.O

#60 01/31/11 21:01

Lithium

I got it! I'll make a black ops Barabas
Much easier to make *lazy*

#61 01/31/11 21:01

kornflakes89

i like that design...although i'm not too big on yellow...a maroon or blood red would be suitable though.

#62 01/31/11 21:01

Lithium

So uh red would work better?
So it looks like some sort of lava? With the rocks, and the heat, and ow it burns me

#63 01/31/11 22:01

Mukade

It looks good for a first attempt, although it looks a bit cheesy... no offense smile

He might be right, a reddish/orange might be good, or just a black ops type outfit

#64 01/31/11 22:01

Lithium

lol cheesy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH sorry tongue
Im a make a black ops outfit, cuz that brown was so 1950s

#65 01/31/11 23:01

kornflakes89

cheese big_smile

#66 01/31/11 23:01

Lithium

Hmm i do want to use those legs used on the BGI Striker (were those muros legs?) and darken his upper body
Edit: ok im done posting here, ive been doing a bad job of keeping track of my topics

Last edited by Lithium (02/01/11 00:02)

#67 02/02/11 21:02

geyser
Website

oxe161 wrote:

Geyser wanted to check it out

Oh, so it's a Booster Gold kind of stuff. Not the kind of thing that I was looking out for, but somehow nice. For what it's worth coming from a colorblind guy, it looks cartoony enough - and not in a bad way. Better than Severed's face texture, if that's any comfort. If you figure out what the "transparency" and color depth are all about, and then keep experimenting for a while, I'm sure you can make some very appealing textures. Maybe they won't fit in well with the Oni we know, but as multiplayer skins they'll do great - eventually...

Oh, and by the way, about the Terran Marine from Marathon Red - you really shouldn't take 'Scen's word for it, because his attention span is often lacking. Apparently he ('Scen) doesn't understand that on the Manual page he (the Marine) is just a placeholder for an Elite class that is missing from ssg's snapshots. Take a screenshot, complete the Elite lineup, remove the placeholder - I'd have no problem with it. And if no one wants to fix the Elite, then I can hardly be blamed for sticking up a placeholder, no matter how silly. So I'd say there's no point in invoking friendly rivalry and sysop wars, well, at least in this case there isn't.

(actually, as far as silliness goes, 'Scen isn't really entitled to throwing stones - he used to be quite a jester before he became a wiki administrator and a forum moderator and a development team leader big_smile )

Also, when 'Scen says that the Marine, or Marathon Red, has nothing to do with Oni whatsoever, he's again wrong. That design is by Ian McConville, who was working on Red AND doing some Oni art at the time. It just so happens that one of Ian's wallpapers was rather focused on outfits, which incidentally brings this thread back on topic.
http://wiki.oni2.net/File:Ian_McConvill … p_1600.jpg

What do we see? We have the helmet of a "TFTC" SWAT in the foreground, and the rather pissed Rogue Konoko over there,  and - and the operative word here is SUDDENLY - we have some more cool outfits in the background. Outfits that happen to look not quite entirely unlike Terran Marines from Marathon Red.

So there.

Last edited by geyser (02/02/11 22:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#68 02/02/11 21:02

Lithium

yeah i did as a simple test, but i wanted to make something i would like as well
So a simple yellow and black overlay on the armor would suffice for me. I'm working on a black and gray texture for him (BGI i guess) cause everyone has new threads and poor big guy here just has his old armor hmm

#69 02/02/11 21:02

EdT
Website

oxe161: Hey that's a great start to texturing. Creative. Keep it up!

#70 02/02/11 21:02

Lithium

Question: Should i still keep the camo texture there? As in the armor be be gray with lighter spots, or just a gray armor, like the Black SWATS?

#71 02/02/11 21:02

geyser
Website

Black and gray is actually very easy, just use the blue channel of the original textures. The hardest part is to preserve the alpha channel (a.k.a. transparency a.ka. reflectivity) while messing with the colors.

P.S. Actually, a black and gray Barabas is exactly what I need (as an ingredient for some "final" BGI assets). But then again, I did a black Barabas myself, some time ago: http://geyser.oni2.net/pics/screenshots/teaser.png
I just haven't gotten around to finding those textures again (my backups are a mess) or reauthoring them.

Last edited by geyser (02/02/11 21:02)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#72 02/02/11 21:02

Lithium

That Rockstar Muro looks badass cool
Ok this might take sometime...
oh quick question when i exported the textures for barabas a lot of them came out transparent. Like the biceps only had the shoulder plate and the arm textures were just transparent.
Would the exporting format affect this? hmm

#73 02/02/11 22:02

geyser
Website

P.P.S. Evening out the color so that it's more like Black Ops (without any traces of the camo) will require some more work than plain channel swapping, but it's worth it. Closer to what I need (although I don't actually need anything right now), and good texturing exercise for you smile

when i exported the textures for barabas a lot of them came out transparent. Like the biceps only had the shoulder plate and the arm textures were just transparent.

What you see as "transparency" in the image editor is actually just a fourth channel, which Oni uses not as transparency but as reflectivity, at least when it comes to character textures. Let's call that channel "alpha" because that's what everyone calls it.
One thing about alpha is that, when you open the "biceps" image in your editor, the arm part is not "just transparent". The color is there, too. But the alpha value of the sleeve pixels is set to 0: for Oni, this means that the sleeve should have no env-mapped "reflections" overlayed with it; for your editor, a zero alpha value means zero opacity (i.e., full transparency). The shoulder plate has full opacity, i.e., full alpha, i.e., Oni's engine treats it as fully reflective - and blends those shoulder plate pixels with the maximum amount of env-mapping (fake reflections).

The tricky part, for you as a texture artist, is to temporarily disable the alpha channel, so as to see the color of all the pixels, not just the fully reflective shoulder plate. And then, when you're done editing the colors, you want to re-apply the alpha channel, and to reimport the texture as BGRA5551, BGRA4444, or RGBA8888. That means that you need to somehow preserve the alpha channel while working on the color channels. That, as I said before, is the tricky part, as the procedure will depend on the editor that you're using.

Last edited by geyser (02/02/11 22:02)

#74 02/02/11 22:02

Lithium

ok thanks for the info

#75 02/03/11 13:02

Phydur

geyser wrote:

... But then again, I did a black Barabas myself, some time ago: http://geyser.oni2.net/pics/screenshots/teaser.png
I just haven't gotten around to finding those textures again (my backups are a mess) or reauthoring them.

I remember seeing that picture back on the old fourm!
its been a long time since i saw you last, geyser! how've you been?

edit: sorry, i guess this is a little off topic, huh?

Last edited by Phydur (02/03/11 13:02)

I intentionally spell dang, dange, FYI.

Board footer