Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/07/11 20:01

jafurcha

Help with ONI

I am new to this game and need help with fighting, even though this is an embarrassing question to ask. There is also so much to know about fighting in this game that I don't know where to begin.

The tutorial level says that the throws are the easiest and most powerful attacks in the game but I just can't seem to get the hang of them. This may be a question of what I'm actually pressing when I'm trying to do a throw, or perhaps a question of timing. (By the way what the heck do I press? Is it forward plus punch at the same time? That just results in a punch for me and not a throw.)

The only time I manage to do throws is randomly, even on the training robot which does not even attack me. When I run up and try to do a throw, I get punched in the face or thrown myself.

The only way I was able to beat Mukade was that I spammed slides to keep him on the ground.

The way most of my fights go is:
1) I run and do a slide to knock him off his feet. (Although blue strikers and the like will just jump over me.)
2) Crouch and do a simple spin kick (just kick while crouching) while he's on the ground.
3) Jump up and do a somersault jump (press shift in the air) to land on him for some damage.
4) Now what? Usually I am standing too close and he floors me with a combo or picks me up and throws me. And against multiple opponents, it is at that point I get kicked in the back by someone else, while the first guy stands up and pulls out the uzi and shoots me while I'm on the ground.

Are throws even the best move? I know about the other moves such as Devil Spin Kick (up from crouch + kick) and Rising Fury (up from crouch + punch) even though I often forget to actually use them, and other stuff such as Triple Kick and that somersault kick (kick, kick, then forward + kick). And nothing I do works against furies. Some people say "oh just do combos on them" but they are all blocked, and I don't always have the VDG (even though I have yet to do the VDG Backbreaker on anyone since I'm too slow to get around them) In fact I only performed the backbreaker once, ever, randomly and not on purpose.

And how to make better use of escape rolls. For now, they only take me farther away and disorient me from the battle.

Anyway please help.

#2 01/07/11 21:01

TheCreature

Re: Help with ONI

Well, first off, welcome to the OCF!  Hope you stick around and enjoy your stay.

Throws:  Very useful, and rather powerful.  You have to be right next to your opponent to throw them.  So close you bump into them, in fact.  The running throw is a bit tricky to pull off, but with a little practice on the training drone, you can get the other throws down.

As to your combat problems, I'd suggest blocking most of their attacks, but don't attack when they stop.  Try timing your attacks so that you hit 'em when they are about to attack, or in between their attacks.  And by the way, your first two steps are the same as mine when I started playing.

Also, unless you're looking for a fight, ALWAYS use stealth to avoid groups of enemies, when possible.  If you can take them on one at a time, they're a lot easier.  Use guns to weaken them, not kill them outright, usually.  Especially the Black adder or Equalizer, which barely do any damage.

(And you might want to check out the Anniversary Edition.  Things work a bit smoother & more balanced in the updated versions)

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#3 01/07/11 21:01

Lithium

If you don't feel good using the combat system of Oni try playing with cheats or other characters perhaps. Muro got me into the combat B)
if you get a lot of enemies on you then my suggestion is to... RUN FORREST RUN!
Attacking and not giving ur enemies an open spot is good but they will block so be careful about that. Also its good knowing the enemies combos and what enemies you're bad at fighting. Like TCTF Heavies (yeah heavies, the ones in helmets are technically SWATS already) and Ninjas for me.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 01/07/11 22:01

Iritscen

You can always save your ammo for the enemies you have the most trouble meleeing.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#5 01/07/11 22:01

Lithium

Just don't get your gun jacked

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#6 01/08/11 09:01

jafurcha

Thanks all!

Yeah, I definitely like to use guns and stealth to their advantage when they are available.

In the area before Shinatama's explosion (when you first are told about the Rising Fury) I found the superball gun on top of the generator, used it once to weaken the group of enemies in the next room (2 blue strikers, a tanker and I believe also a red striker), shot the 2 brown furies twice with it and saved the last shot for the blue fury which stands with Shinatama.

Somewhere in the second airport (where there are 4 snipers with mercury bows in towers around the area...too bad you can't swipe their mercury bows), I saw a video where somebody found a Phase Shield right next to the starting point behind some boxes and used the backbreaker against the unaware red strikers guarding the door, but I haven't gotten back to the level to find it yet.

Taking on Muro in the dream sequence is tough because he can do the leg breaker attack, but supposedly only if I like to use kicks too much. Then in that same level, fighting Griffin plus the two police because I can't seem to avoid fighting all three at once (and running = being shot in the back with the VDG). After that I should have some shots left in the VDG, if Griffin didn't use it a bunch of times on me, to take on the furies. At the end of that level fighting myself was kind of easy once I remembered to wait until she lost her over-effect.

Also another thing with throws, is it (punch + forward) or to punch while pressing forward? I probably asked this question already but it wasn't clarified. Same thing with BackBreaker, I guess you have to be really close.

The running throw that I most accidentally use is the one where I press kick at the same time, and also with the lariat which I seem to be doing less and less of.

Anyway thanks, I'm sure I will get to be better at this game as I get more experience.

Also I improved a little bit when I got my Razer Lycosa keyboard, as I was previously using a keyboard that came with the very first Compaq Presario.

I will keep in mind to try the AE.

Thanks very much!

#7 01/08/11 11:01

TheCreature

It's (Punch+forward) or (kick+forward).

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#8 01/08/11 11:01

Iritscen

I usually press forward/backward before hitting the punch or kick key, but maybe it also works when I do it at the same time.  The key is to already be touching the enemy, like TheCreature said, so you don't launch into a running punch, etc., although there is a sweet running leg throw that you can perform that way.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

Board footer