Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/29/07 08:07

Ether

Crescent Moon Kick and such

This is a continuation of http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … .php?id=80. We shall discuss mainly gymnastics here. Everyone is invited to share his experiences, namely Hideoclone_980 and bboyzagy.

x] Heh, thanks for the encouragements. I shall try to improve my skills, but for now, I have no means of doing it, because the training hall where I use to go is closed during the summer holiday.

stretching my leg mid-air] I tried something similar: I have the 'kicking' leg (the leg I don't jump off) stretched and land on it. But I am afraid to do it on the grass/road.

x] As I observed the animation provided by geyser, I think the crescent moon kick is a little bit more different than I thought.
  o] Konoko jumps off the leg she's kicking with.
  o] She land on both legs.
  o] She lands to crouch.
That looks difficult to me, but I will try it ASAP.

@Hideoclone_890] Tell me what problem do you have with your comp and will try to fix it. smile But I want to see the video now, so send it in an e-mail to me and will upload it on my server. My address: ether [you know what goes here] tiscali [you know what goes here] cz. I perform acrobatics (sometimes with a trampoline), but I'm interested in trying all of the disciplines.

@bboyzagy] You're surely very flexible, is it by nature and/or did you have to exercise to accomplish it?

Last edited by Ether (07/29/07 08:07)

#2 07/29/07 10:07

bboyzagy

Re: Crescent Moon Kick and such

You know to jump with your kicking leg is a bit dangerous... please reconsider practising that on a mat before you try it on any hard floor (grass road etc...) But to land on your kicking leg and jump of your other leg is very possible and I think you should try that...
P.S. I was able to to do the floor splits but when I first saw the chair split I had to practise for 3-4 weeks before I could do it...
P.P.S. I have a problem a file from C:\Windows\system31\drivers\ named hidgame.sys is missing and I can't install any joystick without it and I wondered if someone of you guys can send it to me... (I have Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2)

The B-Boy Style Will Live On

#3 07/29/07 11:07

geyser
Website

You should really eat something, bboy smile
Just google for "hidgame.sys" and DL it.
(OK, looking for those can be a pain...)
BTW, I also have XP Pro SP2... and...
And I don't have that driver either smile
(not even in the Windows install dir)
(so I guess it's not really "missing")

Last edited by geyser (07/29/07 12:07)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 07/29/07 14:07

Ether

hidgame.sys] It found it. But I didn't look for it before I installed some fictive joystick in the 'Gaming Devices' (or something similar, I'm not familiar with the English version of Windows XP) control panel. So, geyser, if you want, try doing the same and look for it again. It may be hidden in the 'windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab' archive until needed. If this file is missing in bboyzagy's system, this would be the symptom.

x] That doesn't answer my question. What I meant was: Did you have to stretch your legs for, say, 3 years before you did the floor split and if yes, when did you start this stretching? I'm asking because I want to know whether I have any chance to become that flexible. I'm bit more flexible than regular people, but when I was younger (approx. 4 years ago), I could for example get both legs behind my head. I think if I started stretching back then, I'd be more flexible today.

bboyzagy wrote:

to land on your kicking leg and jump of your other leg

Ether wrote:

I have the 'kicking' leg (the leg I don't jump off) stretched and land on it.

x] I think that's quite the same. Did you mean to encourage me to do it on a rough terrain? If so, I won't do it now, because I think I'm not that good to do it without the little springy effect of the mat.

Last edited by Ether (07/29/07 14:07)

#5 07/29/07 17:07

bboyzagy

Now I started stretching in January this year and now I have the effect I wanted but to tell you the truth I personaly think that everybody can be flexible just someones have more potential you just have to stretch your ligaments enough and to train them and you can become this flexible in no time just don't try anything extreme and take your time with the stretching... and thanks for the higame file... what I meant to say in the previous quote is that you should try all of those moves on a mat first because it can get very dangerous...

#6 07/29/07 17:07

bboyzagy

hey geyser know what I tried to find the file on the internet but I couldn't find it for free because all the sites wanted money and I wasn't about to waste money on a file... but now that I have it everything's much much better...

#7 07/29/07 21:07

geyser
Website

Indeed, it's hard to believe what people make you pay for these days... And in this case (Windows system files) they're probably crooks, too smile
But if you searched a bit more then you'd ended up on some forum threads, and you'd have found out where people actually get that file from.
It's exactly as Ether says: the file is in WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab , and you can probably unpack/install it the proper way, too...

EDIT: Back on topic, watched Ong Bak twice last night on the German TV. What do you professionals think of Tony Jaa's fighting style? smile

Last edited by geyser (07/30/07 14:07)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 07/31/07 19:07

Ether

@bboyzagy] Flexibility, oh, flexibility, wherefore art thou? I started stretching my legs approx. 1 year ago and I can certainly see some effects, but I doubt that I will ever be able to do that chair trick. When I do the floor split, my crotch is about 15-20 cm (I didn't measure it) above the floor. BTW, tell us whether you have the 'windows\driver cache\i386\driver.cab' file in your computer.

@geyser] Frankly, I have no idea what Ong Bak is. However, I did hear something about Tony Jaa. I'm gonna look for it on YouTube, hang on...

edit] So, I watched http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXzGU80vNLw and read http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368909/ and read http://www.tonyjaa.org/muaythai.shtml and looked at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_Thai.
  1] I've heard about muay thai before, but I've never seen that style in real.
  2] I thought kicking and punching at the same time may be an effective attack, but I didn't think that anyone could do that seriously. And I'm not even talking about kicking and punching in a jump. wink
Combine muay thai with excessive jumping and you've probably got Tony Jaa's style. Shortly, it looks effective and Tony would certainly beat up me and five of my friends together in one minute without any sign of sweat. big_smile So, that much about Tony Jaa. And, geyser, I'm no professional (not in the original nor in the common sense of word). I'm just a fan with some experiences and some cool tricks. cool

edit 2; hurting someone with the crescent moon kick or any other] I thought about it and I came with this:
  x] After you jump and both your legs are off the ground, you have a specific momentum and you can do very little to change that.
  x] When you hit something after you jump, your momentum changes unpredictably (maybe not, with some real practice).
  x] When your momentum changes unpredictably, the only one thing you can predict is that you fall.
  => After you jump, the only one thing you can predict is that you fall. big_smile
No, really - you can never know how will real people react to your hits. They may stand and hold really tightly, so when you hit them, you just stop and end up lying in the air with one leg stretched. They may dodge or crouch, so you don't hit them and hit something else. They may not hold and when you count on jumping back off them, they end up flying four meters back and you end up lying in the air. Again.

Last edited by Ether (07/31/07 20:07)

#9 08/01/07 05:08

geyser
Website

"Professionals" was a semi-joke: I meant that you're more familiar with acrobatics than the rest of us.

Tony Jaa doesn't fight regular muay thai at all. Not the one you're taught in fighting schools at least.
I'm not sure his fighting style is realistic (especially those midair hits feel like stunts; well, they are).
It's more fair to comment on chase sequences, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo29u8rhoSo

The crescent moon is primarily designed to knock enemies out of the air, which is a bit more predictable smile
I need to look at Jaa's moves more to see if they are any good against a random opponent in real life.
For instance, he loses the first fight against the "boss" in that movie: the boss just blocks everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7Lr3Fsa_Q

Last edited by geyser (08/02/07 18:08)

#10 08/01/07 19:08

Ether

geyser wrote:

"Professionals" was a semi-joke: I meant that you're more familiar with acrobatics than the rest of us.

Well, then: big_smile

geyser wrote:

It's more fair to comment on chase sequences, like this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo29u8rhoSo

That is surely something different. Judging from this video (if it was for real - no ropes, ...), Tony Jaa does know how to jump, but most of the flips are only for the show, especially the twisted one. No fighting to comment his style, though.

geyser wrote:

The crescent moon is primarily designed to knock enemies out of the air, which is a bit more predictable

Could you make a scheme? I'm not catching the idea.

Again, why?

Last edited by Ether (08/01/07 19:08)

#11 08/02/07 05:08

geyser
Website

If you hit a guy while he's in midair (or even slightly off balance), then he can't hold his ground. So, if you use a Crescent Moon Kick against an opponent that's jumping at you, you only need to estimate his mass and momentum (and yours of course) in order to predict what will happen after the hit. The only thing that could go wrong is that he'll catch your leg smile
So obviously that thing ought to be practiced on a man-sized, high-strung, loose-hanging punching bag (if at all).

@ "why?": This first boss fight looks arranged. Actually in the movie the hero sort of agreed to lose that fight in order to retrieve the Buddha's head. So you could say he let the other guy win. Plus the bad guy was on steroids. So I'm not sure if it makes any point at all about ho efficient Tony Jaa's style is, but at least there are some blocks to look at: otherwise Jaa just strikes home most of the time, and you don't get a chance to see how somebody would block those.

#12 08/02/07 17:08

Ether

why] I think you didn't understand me. I said "Again, why?", meaning "WHY you wrote the same link AGAIN?". I think you wanted to send us two different links, right?

#13 08/02/07 18:08

geyser
Website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7Lr3Fsa_Q
Fixed that link in my previous post, too.

Two more videos of TJ. Not movie scenes.
Training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhRb62Kbk8o
Live performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8P0H2KkvQ

Last edited by geyser (08/02/07 21:08)

#14 08/07/07 10:08

bboyzagy

now there is a style of life called Parkour made by David Belle, perhaps you heard off it... and there is a man called Cyrill Raffaeli that is very good at acrobatics you should search for him on the internet...

#15 08/07/07 10:08

paradox-01

Hm, this guy does nice jumps. I watched this clip.

BTW, there is a real movie. If you like parkour when you will love it big_smile
http://www.districtb13.com/district_b13.html

#16 08/07/07 16:08

bboyzagy

I know about the movie Banlieue 13 or B13 as some might reffer to it I never watched it, but it seems that all the people I asked about the movie have it so I guess that i'm gonna watch it pretty soon...

#17 08/07/07 17:08

Ether

parkour] Yeah. I heard about parkour and Banlieue 13. I've seen many videos of people practicing parkour and I know some people who are trying, too. My judgement is as follows: It's nice and admirable, but it's too dangerous for me. wink And I haven't seen the movie yet, my fault.

@geyser] Sorry, but I had a vacation, so I haven't seen the last 3 videos you wrote about. I'll get to it ASAP.

Last edited by Ether (08/07/07 17:08)

#18 08/07/07 19:08

bboyzagy

For you it maybe dangerous but for me it isn't since I have no brain.... se here's a little picture off me standing a bit higher then the average person....

#19 08/07/07 19:08

bboyzagy

And here's another one... It's really bad quality because it was taken by a mobile phone which has a really bad camera...

#20 08/07/07 19:08

bboyzagy

By the way just too tell you guys tony jaa wanted to comite suicide when he was ten if his father didn't allow him to learn mauy thai but he also has a lot of other skills, clearly you can see that he studied and trained the brasilian art capoeira and did you know that his idol's are jackie chan jet li and bruce lee and he met jackie chan and steeven seegal, oh yeah steeven seegal is comming to my country in october the 4th of october right... did a little research when you mentioned tony jaa...

#21 08/08/07 20:08

Ether

@bboyzagy] I didn't mean the climbing when I said it's dangerous for me. I meant the 10-meter jumps (like Raffaeli) and such. And some of my friends were injured while doing parkour, so I just decided to be careful and not to do it.

#22 08/09/07 05:08

bboyzagy

Yeah 10 meter jumps are dangerous but I really think that it's a setup because 10 meters are a bit high. I myself don't jump from more than 4 meters... But I do like to go and climb and jump from time to time because I like it...

#23 08/14/07 17:08

bboyzagy

hey Ehter how is your crescent moon kick going??? And a question for geyser: Can you put animations of konoko's sledgehammer heel from different angles beacuse I think I can do it...

#24 08/15/07 15:08

Ether

@bboyzagy] Well, very much the same, because it's still the summer holiday, therefore there's no access to the training hall. Maybe I'll visit a "springy" hall till September, but likely not.

@geyser] Well, I have seen this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8P0H2KkvQ and there's one kick like the crescent moon kick, but used differently. (: I've seen the others, too, and my opinion on Tony Jaa hasn't changed - he (and Cyril Raffaeli and the other real proffesionals) knows what's he doing and how to do it with all that "decorations".

#25 08/15/07 17:08

bboyzagy

Hey how old are you guys anyway? To geyser: Can you post the twister kick ass well with the sledgehammer heel like you did the crescent moon kick on the other topic?

Board footer