Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 01/20/07 04:01

Loser

Movies

Yes, it is here again, this time started by me. So... Loser production presents another silly video which shows true potential of ONI's system. This time I have focused on particle system in combination with TRAM hack. Enjoy.
Loser

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#2 01/20/07 05:01

Mango

Re: Movies

I've always thought this feature should have been in the game (being able to throw people out windows, over benches), and now you've done it! Are you able to post it on the forum?

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!!

oniuserbaren4.png

#3 01/20/07 10:01

Tracker

@Loser
Very nice video!
In the original game it's a pitty, that one can't throw opponents over banisters or out of windows.
But you figured it out!
I'm impressed about the unused potential in ONI
Very good work! smile

ONI is the best game in the universe!

#4 01/20/07 11:01

EdT
Website

Loser: Very cool!  Please post the patch or the instructions on how to do it!

#5 01/21/07 02:01

Loser

Well....I can tell you how to do it, I can post the patch. But be aware this is just experiment, so there are nasty side effects.
First, download THIS folder. Then start OUP and open level 0. Go to RAW editor and choose BINA from *filter by extension*. Now find file 3RAPh2h_dust_e01 (yes, infamous dust is raped again ^_^), choose its only one offset in dat-link-offset window and import my *3RAPh2h_dust_e01*. Then choose TRAM in *filter by extension* (we are still in raw editor) and find *KONCOMthrow_fw_p_tgt* file. Choose it and look into dat-link-offset table. There are many offsets. Choose first one (has 560 bytes) and import my *KONCOMthrow_fw_p_tgt-560*. Same process for 8 bytes long offset (*KONCOMthrow_fw_p_tgt-8*) and 216 bytes long one(*KONCOMthrow_fw_p_tgt-216*). Now save all those changes and go and try it. Oh, and I highly recommend you to turn *canttouchthis* cheat on if don't want to be mercilessly dragged around each time you fall.
I hope that's all. Loser

#6 01/24/07 22:01

EdT
Website

Loser: I finally got to try it out, its fun throwing the AI around, but like you say Konoko is dragged all over the place.
I'm sure you'll find a way to fix it!

Also, I did the dashing Strikers, works fine.  Though I notice one thing, as they are chasing me and get close, they stop and fall back and then resume the chase. I was back pedaling so I could see their dashing.

#7 01/25/07 04:01

geyser
Website

Hm, if dashing Strikers can't neutralize a backpedaling Konoko, there's room for improvement.
The "enhanced throws" should definitely be managed with something else than that. Nice hack though.
An obvious way to fix what there is is not to use dust. Use another particle, and "reserve" it for "thrown" anims (maybe knockbacks, too).

Actually, Loser, I'm much more interested in the discussion of modular hacks (dashing Strikers etc) than in the "plot" (for several reasons).

Last edited by geyser (01/25/07 04:01)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#8 01/25/07 08:01

Loser

Yes, Geyser, there is room for improvement called MELE file. MELE files for strikers and other "weaker" units is made on purpose to be silly. When you are back pedaling, Striker dashes and he is 100% faster than you. But as he gets close, MELE file AI takes control (not pathfinding) and it says to go back and taunt or to stop for a fight. So character stops his chase for a while or he even goes back. Resolution is in edited MELE. I think my striker MELE hack contains no backpedaling and those strikers tried to ram me (slide) when I was backpedaling and they got close enough.
About Blast damage powered throws: Yea, yea, I know this isn't the best solution, Geyser. I just wanted to come out with something we miss in Oni and which works *somehow*. The best solution for throws would be hack of Oni engine itself. If you turn *chr_debug_sphere* on and try to do any animation except jumping ones, you can see that Oni takes floor as a "base" for height of animation. Even if you take some animation and set your height to 1 million, you can see then that collision sphere around character will be really big, but it will still stick to the ground.
When jumping, collision sphere finally unsticks from the ground and it follows character. Try this:
Turn on *chr_debug_sphere* and *chr_nocollision 0* command and *invincible* cheat. Then go into some level (I recommend Warehouse ^_^) and run somewhere where you "stand in the air" high enough thanks to *chr_nocollision*. Don't jump. Now, execute *chr_animate 0 KONCOMrun_thw_fw_k*. You can se how collision sphere stretches but still sticks with the "ground".
Then jump (you should start floating) and then execute *chr_animate 0 KONCOMrun_thw_fw_k* again. Did you saw that??? Konoko still chages her height according to what is written in TRAM, but now collision sphere isn't stretching. Too bad she isn't changing her X , Y position to what is written in TRAM, neither. So I think possible solution would be enable "jump" status aka unstick of collision sphere for throws but leave x,y positions as if character was sticked to the ground. And I know this sounds is illogical.
About modular hacks, less plot etc etc: I agree Geyser. But first I have to have some story. Without that, I will just toy around as I am doing for last 3/4 of the year. If I have story, I know what I need. When I know what I need, we can disscuss how to achieve what I need and how to change it. So I am going to finish my low-quality story, then I will add technical talk. Can it be that way???
Loser

Last edited by Loser (01/25/07 09:01)

#9 01/30/07 00:01

Loser

Hello guys,
HERE you can see another video. This time nothing special. I took some character, changed him into Konoko and slightly improved her performance. Then I assigned NEUT file to her and I modified it, so you cannot talk with this character (talk range is zero ^_^') but I have enlarged her "follow player" range and "notice enemy" range. What I got is really helpful ally. Ingame Konoko follows me (this can be achieved with self-forking "ai2_followme" function, too) and when there is enemy, she attack him without restraints (which cannot be achieved by self forking "ai2_followme", because she is forced to stop and come to me. Meantime enemy AI2 will smash her into bits). After job is finished, she returns to you and you can continue your journey...

When I saw way how AI2 Konoko fought, I was delighted. "Impressive. You are almost human." So I turned FRAPS on and for your pleasure I shooted me and this smart AI2 while we are making those dull AI2s eat dust.

Enjoy, Loser

#10 01/30/07 02:01

Mango

Wow Loser! You might say it was cooperative version with one player! Like the other one you did, I'd like to try it myself.
Once again, it looks like you've done some great work! If the instructions were available, I'd set about changing each level for it.
Five-stars for what i've seen so far tongue

Last edited by Mango (01/30/07 02:01)

oniuserbaren4.png

#11 01/30/07 03:01

Last_Hero

I liked the synchronised Sledgehammer Heel at the end big_smile

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die

#12 01/30/07 07:01

stripeytiger

I could remember seeing a screenshot where Konoko throws this one striker over a bannister or something like that.  The interesting thing was that Bungie West said that you'd be able to throw enemies over bannisters and things like that.  Problem was that by the time the game came out, they apparently decided to drop the feature.  It just goes to show that sometimes when somebody drops the ball, somebody else will pick it up and do much better with it.

#13 01/30/07 15:01

stripeytiger

I'll betcha the next thing you'll be working on next will involve throwing people through windows (Like the cutscene where Konoko grabs that guy with the detonation harness, throws him through a window, and he falls through another window before exploding).  It would be tough to do, but hey, if you could throw people over bannisters and out of windows, then surely throwing people through glass panes can be done.

#14 01/30/07 15:01

geyser
Website

Throwing people through glass was done long ago. HERE (without the deadly shards). HERE (with the deadly shards).

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#15 02/04/07 02:02

Mango

Now, I didn't make this video, I just found it on a 7 year old disc i had lying around.

Oni Preview Movie - 1999

oniuserbaren4.png

#16 02/04/07 07:02

stripeytiger

Does that gun that shoots six missles have a name?  I betcha it would have been fun to blow enemies to kingdom come with that gun, if it hadn't been cut out!  smile

#17 02/04/07 13:02

geyser
Website

"That gun" is now known as the Scram Cannon.
Both trailers (1999 and 1998) are hosted on oni2.net.
You are welcome to complement the Oni Galore pages with scene-by-scene breakdowns, trivia and such.

#18 02/04/07 19:02

stripeytiger

That gun was the Scram Cannon?  You know, that's funny, because I there was something about that gun that reminded of the SC.  Personally, I think the gun in the preview is better looking than the SC.

It sure is interesting how that preview has a Regional State Building scene, and a Syndicate Mountain Compound scene.  Is Muro wearing a trenchcoat in the preview?  That one scene where Mai is running on the streets makes me think that it might be a Regional State Building scene, because it's the only chapter where you can actually walk out on the street.  Of course, that scene might have been from a lost chapter for all I know.  smile

#19 02/05/07 08:02

geyser
Website

When she's running on the street, you can make out the parking lot of the TCTF HQ on the right. More of those HERE

#20 02/06/07 03:02

Mango

The gun may look better than the scram, stripeytiger, but with Konoko holding it in one hand like that? Even with superhuman powers, she'd have to hold it differently.

oniuserbaren4.png

#21 02/06/07 04:02

geyser
Website

Harry pointed that out during his visit to Bungie West (IIRC), and was answered that the gun had an antigravity mount and/or that it was made of very light composite materials, i.e., actually very light. Can't check right now which one it was, probably both.
Note that physically, antigravity would make a heavy gun lighter, but wouldn't kill inertia. Thus Konoko could have held it like it was a pistol, but upon setting it in motion it would still feel like the anvil it is. One thing for it, then: ultra-stable aiming smile

#22 02/12/07 10:02

geyser
Website

Updated the page of the 1998 Trailer with links to "fixed" versions (the first seconds were corrupt in the MOV)
Also available are "larger res" versions. There's no miracle, though. They're just resampled lo-res stuff, heh.
So same thing as what you got when you switched QT to fullscreen: the image is not as sharp as the original.

Anyway, HERE you are.

Last edited by geyser (02/12/07 10:02)

#23 03/06/07 23:03

Loser

HERE you can see my video of playing OTA in TCTF Regional HQ. It it my tribute to  maker of this nice thingy. And if you watch carefully, you can see a few changes in moves....

#24 03/07/07 18:03

dez_zt

good groupfight at the end, gotta love those, a devilspin would of looked neat in there

few changes in moves....

the fury kicking you away 3 times?

#25 03/08/07 19:03

EdT
Website

Loser:  You have to share the mod for the changes in the moves.
Great movie!

Board footer