Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 07/10/07 06:07

Clarissa

Oni Model Viewer

Is there any kind of model viewer out there? I'm coding a TC for EDGE/DosDoom and am interested in using the Oni models...I've tried using Biturn but that was soooo difficult...so i was wondering if there is a sort of workaround? my ex bought me the game a long time ago and i loved it, but i always wished they had a model viewer. trust me, oni in doom sounds lamesauce but DDF owns faces. . .

I'm working on a oh-so rather silly tc anyway, but i think that konoko is really hot...so yea...:)

mucho grande thanks in advance! XD

edit: humm, i should rephrase that. i'm not going to use the actual models, but frame by frame sprites...

Last edited by Clarissa (07/10/07 06:07)

#2 07/10/07 06:07

geyser
Website

Re: Oni Model Viewer

Ah, OK. It's lucky that you don't want an exporter, because we still don't have one right now smile
If you want a frame-by-frame viewer of models and animations, then why not use Oni itself?
In Dev Mode, you can turn off the environment, pin the character and animate it frame-wise.
You can place the manual camera anywhere you like and tweak a number of other things.

There's a homemade viewer available, but it applies all animations to the TCTF Konoko.
Depending on what you want, this other viewer might be interesting to you as well. PM me.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 07/10/07 06:07

Clarissa

geyser wrote:

Ah, OK. It's lucky that you don't want an exporter, because we still don't have one right now smile
If you want a frame-by-frame viewer of models and animations, then why not use Oni itself?
In Dev Mode, you can turn off the environment, pin the character and animate it frame-wise.
You can place the manual camera anywhere you like and tweak a number of other things.

There's a homemade viewer available, but it applies all animations to the TCTF Konoko.
Depending on what you want, this other viewer might be interesting to you as well. PM me.

I can't. your mailbox is full tongue

#4 07/10/07 08:07

geyser
Website

big_smile  Sorry. Deleted about a third of the messages. Should work now.

BTW, are you interested in other characters than the TCTF Konoko?
If so, then OniViewer won't give you what you need. Just use Oni.
And the corresponding tutorial is something of public interest wink
I'd gladly put a ingame frame-by-frame capture tutorial here.

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 07/10/07 17:07

Clarissa

that'd be nice actually. that'd be reaaalllyy helpful XD big_smile

#6 07/10/07 18:07

geyser
Website

OK, Neo authorized me to make the thing public, so here it is: http://geyser.oni2.net/proggies/OniBrowser.zip
As I said, it renders all anims with the TCTF Konoko body set at the moment. And it needs the following:
NET framework: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en
XNA framework: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en

As for doing it from within Oni, you need to get familiar with the Developer Mode first.
The easiest way to get it up and going is the Daodan DLL: http://geyser.oni2.net/EXE/pc.east/
Put vtuneapi.dll into you Oni folder and run Oni. If it complains, just get the EXE as well.
Then you'll get a few bug fixes and a bunch of new cheats, including the Developer Mode.
The cheat is either "thedayismine" or "x". Back ingame, a whole lot of options are available.
See here for an overview (unfortunately not too up-to-date): http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/thedayismine

The thing you'll use the most for frame-by-frame animating is the console and 2 hotkeys.
The hotkeys are [ and ] on a US keyboard but don't touch them yet unless you have strong nerves smile
First, get familiar with turning the console on and off and try inputting some basic commands.

Like, you can enter invincible= 1 (same as "liveforever" cheat), then invincible= 0
Next, try entering gs_show_environment= 0, then gs_show_environment= 1
Also try sky_show_sky= 0, and then sky_show_sky= 1. Nice black sky smile
You can use that black screen as is, since the character will never be fully black (fog).
If you want a green screen or something like that, you'll have to tweak some more.
I used a yellow screen to get this image: http://geyser.oni2.net/oni2/misc/morpho.jpg

Now let's get to the animating. Do chr_pin_character= 1. Do NOT jump smile
Now hit "]". The current animation and frame of your character will be frozen.
You can see the name and frame if you enter chr_debug_characters= 1
Now if you hit "[" repeatedly, the current anim will loop, one frame at a time.
Manual camera control is obtained with Enter (do you have a numpad?)

Enter cm_orbit 1 1 with a frozen anim to get into orbit mode:
the mouse lets you rotate the camera around Konoko during a frame
(actually, it's Konoko turning, but the rendering of her body is frozen)
You can then tweak cm_canter_unarmed and cm_height
(same as above, but they're floating-point variables)

Tell me if this helps. If you have further questions, just ask.

EDIT: PM acknowledged, but the talk is likely to stay public.

Last edited by geyser (07/10/07 18:07)

#7 07/10/07 21:07

Clarissa

okies! well...it's a bit hard to figure out right now, and when i hit the bracket key the model doesn't want to animate and faces forward...any tips? and i cant get the sky to change...DooM uses cyan for the backdrop, black would be good but the conversion to bmp/png would result in colorloss so the black would make it look mangled...

#8 07/11/07 08:07

geyser
Website

Ky4yM, what do you mean?
Updated OniBrowser, re-DL.
Features added, bugs fixed.

Clarissa, please detail the problems you're having a bit more.

when i hit the bracket key the model doesn't want to animate and faces forward...any tips?

I assume the dev mode is enabled: console works and all that?
Then (make sure that you've pinned Konoko), the US-layout ] key freezes the current anim.
You can then go to the next frame with [ (the anim loops at the end), or exit this mode with ].
The default camera stays in Konoko's back. Hit Enter (once or twice) to get a manual camera.
The manual camera is controlled with the mouse and numpad keys by default. See wiki.

and i cant get the sky to change...

Entering sky_show_sky= 0 at the console should definitely have an effect.
Note that in most levels the sky is very dark already. Try in Chapters 1, 2, and 3.

DooM uses cyan for the backdrop, black would be good but the conversion to bmp/png would result in colorloss so the black would make it look mangled...

Not sure what color loss you mean...
Both BMP and PNG are lossless and support 32-bit colors...
Oni (or Fraps) will let you take 100% lossless screenshots.
Then you can process then in GIMP or whatever
(select the background by color, paint it cyan)
Why would anything look mangled? I don't get it.
Rather, it would be a bit too crisp (no antialiasing).

Last edited by geyser (07/11/07 08:07)

#9 07/11/07 09:07

Pierre

? I posted a message and it disappeared???

Basically the exe crashes on my machine, probably because I have Win2K. The XNA stuff doesn't install on Win2K.

- Pierre

#10 07/11/07 09:07

geyser
Website

Won't work without XNA, sorry. That's why Oni Viewer is sorta reserved to the happy few who are willing/able to install all the packages used by Neo.
Neo has also been reimplementing parts of Oni's engine. NeoAkira and NeoTotoro are already used in the Viewer, and now there's some game stuff.
Basically, you can run around as Konoko in Oni's levels. The data is read from Oni's original resources, only the engine is a new one from scratch.
I'm pretty sure it needs XNA too, though. And I haven't uploaded it on oni2.net yet. There's not much to look at anyway, no fighting or anything.

Last edited by geyser (07/11/07 09:07)

#11 07/11/07 10:07

Pierre

Basically, you can run around as Konoko in Oni's levels. The data is read from Oni's original resources, only the engine is a new one from scratch.

Yeah, that's what I wanted to look at. If there's any source code maybe I could finally fix that motion offset / relative displacement bug that you've been complaining about for months / years smile

- Pierre

#12 07/11/07 13:07

geyser
Website

OK, then, here's the gamelet:
http://geyser.oni2.net/proggies/OniGame.zip
Still writing that mail to you...

Last edited by geyser (07/11/07 13:07)

#13 07/11/07 15:07

geyser
Website

Ky4ym, what's your OS again? And, have you installed XNA and NET?
The browser needs the game files, but you can run it from anywhere.
As for the extraction of models, I may get around to that too, soon.
Always wanted to toy with characters and levels and furniture in SE2.
But somehow there was still a lot to do with/to the original Oni...

Last edited by geyser (07/11/07 15:07)

#14 07/12/07 03:07

Pierre

OK, then, here's the gamelet:
http://geyser.oni2.net/proggies/OniGame.zip

It crashes as well. Not sure what to do about this...

- Pierre

#15 07/12/07 08:07

geyser
Website

Of course it crashes. It uses the same NET and XNA frameworks as the browser.
At first Neo wanted to "punish" you for not having released OniBreaker's source.
(well, you have released it, but not before we figured TRAM out on our own...)
That "punishment" would mean you'd have to "DIYMF": decompile the thing smile
There's a nifty decompiler for .NET called Reflector: http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/
But since we're not a$$holes, here's the source: http://geyser.oni2.net/proggies/OniBrowser_src.zip

#16 07/12/07 13:07

desp

Thanks, that's awesome.

#17 07/12/07 20:07

Clarissa

Clarissa wrote:

DooM uses cyan for the backdrop, black would be good but the conversion to bmp/png would result in colorloss so the black would make it look mangled...

it converts everything, all images, to an 8-bit color format...

#18 07/12/07 21:07

geyser
Website

8-bit, gosh... Well, you can run Oni in 256-color mode and see if the palette in the screenshots is any Doom-friendlier.
Can't see why the black wouldn't just stay black after conversion. I mean, it's really 100% pure black, that one...
And once it's in 8-bit, you can paint it cyan or whatever. Then again, the actual model might look ugly, sure.

Any specific problems you're having with the Dev Mode?

#19 07/13/07 15:07

geyser
Website

Models are in the DAT, technically (it's a bunch of arrays).
Textures and animations have non-trivial parts in RAW/SEP.

Not sure what app you mean. OniBrowser's source is up there.
If you mean Pierre's OniRip, then the source is here:
http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php?threadid=274
Pierre didn't really release the app, though, only a TRAM ripper
(and the last one he released is bugged: ignores the last frame)
http://oni.bungie.org/forums/index.php? … #post_3957
Basically, he used to rebuild it separately for every resource type.

@ "user no baka": make sure you check for "saved_film###.dat", too wink

Last edited by geyser (07/13/07 15:07)

#20 07/14/07 10:07

geyser
Website

Pierre's server is down ATM. OniBrowser parses all of Oni's 3D data.
Just grab OniBrowser's source then. But note that it's C#/NET/XNA.

#21 12/19/07 09:12

m2

The Onibrowser doesn't work for me. I've installed Net and XNA but when I try to execute the exe-file nothing happens. Any ideas what's wrong? I use WinXP.

#22 12/24/07 13:12

geyser
Website

Yeah, a DX update is supposed to do the trick.

Board footer