Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 02/28/10 13:02

TOCS

Oni - Anti-aliasing

I've been playing around with the graphic options for Oni, for a few days now. I was pretty much annoyed by the "stair step" effect everything had, so I'd decide to find out how to enable anti-aliasing. I've taken these few screens to show how sweet it looks. Let me hear what you guys think.

Engines of Evil, Manufacturing Plant:

oniaa1.png

Puzzle Pieces, Bio-Research Lab:

oniaa2.png

Trial Run, Syndicate Warehouse:

oniaa3.png

By the way, I've been thinking of making new loading screens, but the HUD annoys me as hell when screen capture. Is there any way to temporary hide it? It would make my day a bit easier.

#2 02/28/10 14:02

demos_kratos

Re: Oni - Anti-aliasing

Is there any way to temporary hide it?

gs_show_ui 0

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#3 02/28/10 14:02

Iritscen

Those looks quite nice, TOCS.  And yeah, I've been wishing we had some larger load screens myself, but we'd need to patch the engine to make it technically possible.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#4 02/28/10 14:02

TOCS

@ demos_kratos: Thanks, for the command!
@ Iritscen: I noticed that the texture for the loading screen is in different parts, so if I resize all the parts to 512 x 512 it may be bigger. I guess I'll try.

EDIT: Ummmm, I wasen't able to find the pictures for the loading screens among the textures, I might be missing some. Can someone give me some name examples?

Last edited by TOCS (02/28/10 14:02)

#5 02/28/10 16:02

Iritscen

Most of them seem to be named "TXMPlevelXX_intro_x" where XX is the number of the level and x is the number of the part of the image.

#6 02/28/10 16:02

EdT
Website

TOCS: Look for the NoGlobal folder in the Levelx_Final folder, the TXMP files are there.
How did you enable anti-aliasing?

#7 02/28/10 16:02

TOCS

Thanks for the help guys, I'll see what I can do.

It was actually pretty easy enabling the anti-aliasing option. If you're NVIDIA user, you'll have a NVIDIA Control Panel, were you can adjust various settings in games. So I picked the Oni.exe and choosed my settings, like this:

nvidaconf.png

#8 02/28/10 17:02

Gumby

TOCS wrote:

I noticed that the texture for the loading screen is in different parts, so if I resize all the parts to 512 x 512 it may be bigger.?

No. tongue

I think I have a comparison video for AA vs nonAA somewhere around here...

http://gumby.oni2.net/Videos/AA.wmv

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#9 02/28/10 19:02

TheCreature

That looks good!

Any way to do it on a non-NVIDIA Mac?

The artist must bow to the monster of his own imagination.  Promoting the IRC and stuff for the RP: Rules Dice Map and RP

#10 03/01/10 01:03

TOCS

@ TheCreature: I guess ATI and others, have thier own settings aswell. I think Google will be your best help for this.

#11 03/01/10 11:03

Dirk Gently
Website

#12 03/01/10 11:03

EdT
Website

Dirk Gently: Unfortunately, I get this message: Profiling non-native architectures is not supported  sad

#13 03/01/10 11:03

Dirk Gently
Website

Yeah, for the time being, if you are on intel you can only do it on intel apps, the last public mac oni release was a PPC build. Once the Intel build gets further along without crashing, we should be able to play with AA, althought it would be better for the Intel build to have native AA in it without it needing to be forced.

#14 03/01/10 12:03

TOCS

Switch to Windows. Problem Solved. big_smile

#15 03/01/10 12:03

3llense'g

TOCS wrote:

Switch to Windows. Problem Solved. big_smile

That's the most unique sentence with Windows and problem in it that I've ever heard! lol

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#16 03/01/10 14:03

TOCS

Did you see the "solved"? roll
Now, I won't start any flame war, but those who says Macintosh is without problems or viruses are seriously not telling any truth. I've been sitting and editing video in a week for some school work and that was far from without any trouble. tongue

#17 03/01/10 15:03

Dirk Gently
Website

the fact at you bring that up shows your insecurity with what OS you use. You need to talk trash about mac because windows does not satisfy you completely. Anyway, back ontopic.

#18 03/01/10 15:03

TOCS

I've never had any trouble with viruses, because I know how to keep them off. And ofcourse Windows does not statisfy me "completely", no OS has ever done that, because there dosen't exist any perfect OS.

It's like clothing; some people are buying expensive cloths, were others are buying cheaper, but with the same or more features. That's my point of view.

Ontopic: A little reminder, never force VSync to be off, the game will get unresponsable, and it'll be very hard to look around.

EDIT: Also can someone post all the loading screens as .tga? Somehow they aren't in my files.

Last edited by TOCS (03/01/10 15:03)

#19 03/01/10 15:03

Dirk Gently
Website

I just tried it with the intel build of oni that I have, seems to run VERY smooth on my macbook pro. Intel build runs smoother for me than the PPC build with it being native and all, but there was no speed decrease when I applied the forced AA through OpenGL profiler. Graphics were much cleaner, none of those horrible jaggies.

#20 03/01/10 18:03

Iritscen

Nice tip, Dirk!  I was getting about 180fps with 2x oversampling in the beta build.

#21 03/01/10 20:03

EdT
Website

TOCS: Here are the loading screens for all the levels:

http://edt.oni2.net/files/LevelIntro.zip

Last edited by EdT (03/01/10 20:03)

#22 03/02/10 01:03

TOCS

Thanks EdT!
I'll see if I can improve the quality. smile

#23 03/02/10 08:03

Dirk Gently
Website

I also tried running OpenGL Profiler under Rosetta, because it is a UB in the snow leopard developer tools, and tried it with the PPC build of Oni. I got no error messages, except Oni crashed on startup. I might try grabbing the PPC OpenGL Profiler off my iMac G5 next week if it decides to stay on long enough to copy it to a flash drive (power-supply is going after 5 years ;_; ) and see if that can do anything.

EdT, I don't know how the guy at Feral is coming along with the intel oni build, but if you could forward him a note about adding AA into that build if possible, then we might see that in the final release.

#24 03/02/10 10:03

TOCS

How can I cut my pictures in e.g five equal pieces?

Last edited by TOCS (03/02/10 10:03)

#25 03/02/10 11:03

Dirk Gently
Website

I edited the level screens once. You will need a photo editing app that can work with layers. Make each piece a layer, then make a new blank layer and do what photoshop calls "apply image" by creating an image based off the contents of the layers below it. From there edit that image however you want. When you are finished, select the area from the original set of layers individually. So, select the image of the upper left of the original menu screen based of the original set of 5 layers then copy that into a new document. Save that document and you have one of the 5 parts so you can reimport that back into oni. If you are confused i might be able to make a video of what I mean.

Board footer