Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 11/05/09 10:11

JadeWolf

Running a mac copy on xp

I have the Mac instalL  cd and everything at home on my iMac. However, I recently discovered my schools hosts a nice arracy of xp comps you can use at will, providing you bring in your own data.
If I take all the dats and folders for my Mac installation, download the exe off the pc AE edition, will I be able to run Oni on my school pcs so we can have fun ?

#2 11/05/09 11:11

Iritscen

Re: Running a mac copy on xp

Afraid not.  The PC Oni uses .dat and .raw files, whereas the Mac has an extra file type called .sep.  The actual data that is encapsulated in these files is the same between PC and Mac, or at least 99.99% the same, so you could try using OniSplit on your Mac to convert the Mac level data to the PC format.  However, the sounds will fail to convert -- why, I don't know, but they will.  I think one can manually pass them through a middle format (AIFF or WAV) before importing them back into the PC format, but I'm not sure anyone's actually pulled off what you're trying to do.  It might be worth a try if you have a little bit of technical savvy, though.

Edit: Oh!  I wonder what would happen if you used the Oni demo application for Windows.  The PC demo uses the .sep files like Mac Oni does.  Has anyone tried that, guys?  Presumably the sounds would still have to be fiddled with, though.

Last edited by Iritscen (11/05/09 11:11)

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#3 11/05/09 16:11

Gumby

Re: Running a mac copy on xp

That could work. Though converting all the data to PC format should also work, other than not having any sound.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

Board footer