Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/22/09 19:10

Lithium

What Makes a gamer?

What do you think identifies gamers, from "gaymers"? Cuz i ahevt his asshole at my school that says im not a gamer cuz i dont have a 360...well F him. A true gamer is universal. Yes i beleieve a true gamer is universal and is open to any thoughts.
What do you guys think makes a good gamer?

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#2 10/22/09 20:10

Leus
Website

Re: What Makes a gamer?

ROFL.

Sorry.

Uh...  A gamer is someone who avidly plays games, analyzes their strong and weak points and tries to become skilled at them?  I dunno.  I don't really consider myself a gamer because for years I didn't really play games and now the only one I ever play is Oni and occasionally Mirror's Edge.  I consider a gamer like a game connoisseur, I guess.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#3 10/22/09 20:10

Lithium

yea, thats another thing. Thanks leus for ur wise words.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#4 10/23/09 02:10

3llense'g

I didn't really play any games since school, mostly replaying Max Payne and Oni. Yet I'm still a gamer, since it's an outlook on life, not an activity.

Also, your... hold on, checking where you're from... Colorado? And you don't have a 360? You do have a PS3 then, right? Or you can't afford one? Well, anyway, you can tell that loser that real gamers are here for the games, and since the 360 has like 3 exclusive good games, he's M$'s b*tch more than anything.  cool

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#5 10/23/09 05:10

T_W_D

What do you think identifies gamers, from "gaymers"?

Is there a difference?

*ahem* Couldn't resist, sorry. Trying to be a tr00 gamer is the last thing you can do with your life, I think. hmm

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#6 10/23/09 05:10

Stevinlewis

Well i think a true gamer is a nerd @ss (sorry for my language) who spends his or her (mostly his ) life at home watching p0rn(again very very sorry) and playing video games at the same time then tries the 'in' game which is the most pop game.

DO NOT FALL INTO THIS TRAP. ITS A VERY LARGE TRAP AND MANY PEOPLE (at least in my country) FALL INTO THIS TRAP AND THEY DROP TO ANOTHER STREAM, LOSE FORCUS AND JUST CRY WHEN THEIR RESULTS COME OUT. Just try to go out sometimes. Go for a jog. Lose that belly. I admit im pretty much obese at least now I take jogging plus my cca is sailing which is a bonus to losing weight.

Ask T_W_D if she would like an @ss nerd so fat and stupid playing games all day. WOULD GIRLS WHAT THAT KIND OF GUY? I dont know ask the girls around you (If you have any)

Again I apologise for my roughness and my stupid sentences but i have to get this off my chest cuz it heppened to me.

P.S. THIS IS TOTALLY WHAT I THINK DO NOT DETHUMB ME OR ANYTHING. You dont have to listen to it. If you want moderators, just delete this reply

Last edited by Stevinlewis (10/23/09 05:10)

#7 10/23/09 06:10

T_W_D

Unbelieveable: I actually agree with every word Stevinlewis said. smile

#8 10/23/09 07:10

3llense'g

Stevinlewis wrote:

WOULD GIRLS WHAT THAT KIND OF GUY?

You mean girls have taste? WRONG!

#9 10/23/09 07:10

Stevinlewis

huh? I dont get it

#10 10/23/09 08:10

Iritscen

I don't get 3ilense'g's comment either.  Anyway, I used to spend a fair amount of time gaming, but lately I feel compelled to spend my time being more productive.  It suddenly hit me one day while playing a totally overrated RPG just how pointless the whole exercise was.

However, I don't really think that gamers who play games a few hours a day are any worse than the average person who comes home after work and stares at the TV for four hours (the daily average in the U.S.).  Most adults are just mindless cogs in a workforce who do nothing of greater value to society besides paying their own way in life, and raising a family.  So why single out people who play games, over people who waste time in other ways?

The kids I've known who love gaming are not hygienically or socially challenged -- that's just the very visible minority you're seeing.  But it's true that gamers are not building any skills or accomplishments that they can be proud of, later in life, if all they're doing is gaming.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#11 10/23/09 10:10

Stevinlewis

Yea Iritscen got a point. Im going to be a native. Either that or i want to create a time machine, go back in time and prevent anyone or anything from provoking man to discover oil or whatever things that made the world as it now is.

#12 10/23/09 13:10

3llense'g

Stevinlewis wrote:

Yea Iritscen got a point. Im going to be a native. Either that or i want to create a time machine, go back in time and prevent anyone or anything from provoking man to discover oil or whatever things that made the world as it now is.

You mean, like, keep them on the trees or something?

#13 10/23/09 14:10

Mukade

I'm a gamer but not a *hardcore* gamer or an *in* gamer as Steven_Lewis put it
a hardcore gamer would be someone who takes video games much more seriously. An in gamer plays all the games that everyone else is playing.
Me, I fall in between casual gamer and hardcore gamer. I play LOTS of games, like LOTS, but i don't take them seriously, they're games (although i hate it when ppl use this as an excuse to cheat) but if i suck at a game, screw it, i keep playing cause it's fun.

Also, the only gaming console i have is my computer. I think splitting my money between games of two different consoles is a waste of money, when i don't even play most of the games i DO have on my coputer

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#14 10/23/09 22:10

Stevinlewis

to 3llense'g (weird name btw) : Yea sorta.

To Mukade: Yes I guess were the same smile

#15 10/24/09 14:10

3llense'g

Stevinlewis wrote:

to 3llense'g (weird name btw) : Yea sorta.

It's the 1337 version of the hungarian word for adversary. tongue

#16 10/24/09 15:10

T_W_D

How'd you pronounce it?

#17 10/24/09 16:10

Samer
Website

Some of the comments in this thread are the stupidest comments I have read since I joined this forum hmm and I don't usually offend anyone but hey I'm human ^_^

the only comment I could agree on is Iritscen's

I like video games and one thing I hate is putting labels on people like Stevin did : U're a gamer so u're fat and nerdy .. -_- !!  btw nothing wrong with being "nerdy" it's a term stupid people use bec they refuse to admit someone is smarter than them smile so they try to put him\her down

1- for example I hate sports big_smile I love video games but I'm picky at choosing what video games I play and I never played a video game just because someone else is playing it or bec it's hip now ... I just pick the ones that entertain me ... we all need to have fun in life ! some go partying or whatever, some watch Tv some play games some write some draw some practice their hobby ...  nothing wrong with diversity

2- I'm not fat in any way shape or form tongue   I'm an A student since Kindergarten till my third year in uni (my current) so the whole TRAP thin u talked about Stevin is meaningless it depends on the person if he is not gaming he would be watching TV or doing something else

3- I've learnt a lot from games actually tongue whether that be new vocabulary since English is not my native tongue ... and they are a good stress reliever

I do admit however that when i was younger i got sometimes kinda addicted if u want to say on games ... like playing a game and wanting so much to finish it and going to the next level ... but as I grew older I've come across a lot of more challenging problems in life than how to beat that boss or where to find that secret .

When anything starts to interfere with ur daily life and preventing u from doing things u want to do it becomes an addiction and is harmful .. but nothing wrong with doing fun things that u like ! better than going clubbing and drinking if u ask me .

True gamers aren't doing much for the world except make it a bit more fun ...what are comedians \ actors \ singers \ models \  doing that is so beneficial to the human race on the long run ?  being a gamer doesn't prevent u form doing something else I'm going to be a pharmacist ...

@oxe :  gamer or a gaymer  ...  there's nothing wrong with being a gay-mer. here's a definition of a gaymer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaymer

@ Stevin "Ask T_W_D if she would like an @ss nerd so fat and stupid playing games all day. WOULD GIRLS WHAT THAT KIND OF GUY? "   if that's what she bases her decision on then she is a shallow superficial b smile is that how u judge people ? by their physical appearance and their hobbies ?  how does going shopping sound like, to me it sounds a complete waste of time and money ... but most girls like it that doesn't mean i think they aren't good people.

so what I'm saying is : u like video games so what ! who cares what others think ! u're having fun u're finding it enjoyable .. as long as it doesn't interfere with ur daily life so be it !

I currently have 3 games on my computer Oni is the only one I'm playing lately I have played over 30 games i think ...

and i do not play games just cz they are new and everyone else is playing them ...

and I have many other hobbies in life ( including writing poetry and drawing)

So I'm a proud GAMER big_smile

Last edited by Samer (10/24/09 16:10)

Join our Oni Facebook Group
Check My YouTube Channel for my Oni Videos.
Check My Wiki page for all my stuff

#18 10/24/09 22:10

Stevinlewis

Lol you got a point Sam. But all that I said was to prevent people from being anti social ==. If you dont go clubbing, high chance you wont meet new ppl. And prob will stay single forever. But also excessive clubbing is also bad. So I guess moderation is always good smile. Have a balance. Like Guatama Siddharta big_smile

EDIT: Guatama is also Buddha big_smile. In case you guys didnt know.

Last edited by Stevinlewis (10/24/09 23:10)

#19 10/24/09 22:10

Leus
Website

Have a balance. Like Guatama Siddharta

If ever there was a person to emulate.

That made me glad.  smile

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#20 10/24/09 23:10

Mukade

I've got to agree with about 99.9% of what Samer says smile

And i don'tthink i noticed irit's post for some reason but i agree with that too, in fact in many ways, gaming is much more productive than watching TV

1. Gaming is at least mildly active
2. You learn, when you get mroe serious and start modding and such, you learn things, like how to model, learn programming and such
3. It can increase reflexes, problem solving and other things
4. it IS possible to make a career out of computers, but not sitting there watching TV

I'm sure there are more reasons that i cant think of right now

And like Samer, I am not fat, in fact i am fairly underweight :3 and i am also a very intelligent person school-wise only ever gotten one "C" grade on my report card in my life. In fact, i don't even own a TV but i do see the effect it has on many ppl and ive decided i like my computer

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#21 10/25/09 10:10

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Growing up and not caring what others think.  roll

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#22 10/25/09 10:10

Samer
Website

Harry wrote:

Growing up and not caring what others think.  roll

Exactly

#23 10/25/09 11:10

Leus
Website

Not caring what others think is a fine line.  On one hand, some people could judge you based on a lot of trivial, culturally-imposed biases...  On the other hand, the only way to truly assess your value as a member of humanity is by the impact you have on the lives of others.  Figuring out where to draw the line is the hard part.

#24 10/25/09 11:10

T_W_D

it's a term stupid people use bec they refuse to admit someone is smarter than them

No. It's a term people use on nerdy people. If a person's smart, that's not an excuse for being nerdy. tongue Btw, a smart man won't take pride in his smartness.

I'm not fat in any way shape or form

If you hate sports, you're either fat or thin. Both ways aren't healthy.

what are comedians\actors\singers\models doing

Entertaining people. And models show us new clothes. Gamers entertain only themselves. smile

if that's what she bases her decision on then she is a shallow superficial b

IRL, I hit people for such words. smile Yeah, I don't like nerdy, unattractive and anti-social people, me and thousands of us shallow superficial... girls.

If you know a balance between gaming and life, it's fine, but most gamers don't. And I can't understand how a flat unreal world can be more interesting then having fun with friends. O.o

Growing up and not caring what others think.

And I always thought growing up means learning how to co-exist...

#25 10/25/09 11:10

Samer
Website

WAW others are right u are obnoxious ^_^ i won't bother to respond MUCH just bec it's not worth it and I'm trying to as u said it co-exist, unfortunately we sometimes have to co-exist with the likes of you ...

models show us new clothes WAWWWyyyy O_O  !! thank God for that !
why are u on this forum if u are not a gamer and don't play Oni ? gamers and game designers entertain themselves and others

U hit people for such words ? how classy of u ^_^ I can see u're a perfect girly girl and  ur signature supports that "let's do it right here" is that addressed for the sporty football team ^_^ ?

I hate anyone who thinks by talking non sense and putting others down they become more superior . there's nothing more unattractive than shallowness. beauty is more than skin deep.

Board footer