Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 10/10/09 16:10

Shade

Favorite anime?

Whats your guys favorite anime? I call Moriboto and DBZ.

#2 10/10/09 18:10

Lithium

Re: Favorite anime?

anime is dead to me now.
DBZ

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#3 10/11/09 01:10

Gumby

I don't really have a favorite...so I'll just list the ones I've watched and liked. ^_^

Noir
MADLAX
Ghost in the Shell (1st Movie, SAC 1st and 2nd GIG, SSS)
To-Love-Ru (lol)
Kampfer (only the 2nd episode is out)
Time of Eve
Naruto (haven't seen em all though)
Star Blazers\Space ship Yamato (1st season)
Galaxy Railways (1st season done, 2nd in progress)
Kiddy Grade (in progress)
Gunslinger Girls (I have it on DVD, just haven't gotten around to finishing)
Some other anime which has three girls transported to a fantasy world, whos name I cannot recall.
Cardcaptor Sakura (loooong time ago)

Um...yeah. ^_^'

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#4 10/11/09 02:10

T_W_D

I hate Japanese cartoons. They're weird, and most anime fans are even more weird.

Last edited by T_W_D (10/11/09 02:10)

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#5 10/11/09 02:10

Gumby

T_W_D wrote:

I hate Japanese cartoons. They're weird, and most anime fans are even more weird.

They are weird, and I am weird. I take that as a compliment.

...mind you, you can like anime, without going "over the edge". I was once...pretty much a Japanophile, I guess. Not as bad as some people, but still pretty bad. I'm much more restrained now, though. smile

#6 10/11/09 02:10

Leus
Website

I've seen some DBZ and the whole NGE.  I dug both of those.

Also more recently I watched some super girly-ass show that I of course also dug because I'm totally not manly at all...  Uh, what was it called?  I can't remember.  Something about a bunch of school girls in school bein' ridiculous.

Edit:  And when I say more recently I still mean like May 2007...  I haven't watched anime in forEVER.

Last edited by Leus (10/11/09 02:10)

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#7 10/11/09 03:10

T_W_D

you can like anime, without going "over the edge"

Probably. I myself know some people who watch anime and still are pretty normal (in Russia, public opinion is still important even to weirdos tongue ). But I can't understand how one could call him/herself an anime fan, when most anime fans are something like THIS. I'd be disgusted and either stop watching anime or tell nobody I do. Even now, I feel ashamed when I say that I like Lovecraft, for example, 'cause most Lovecraft readers are freaks and Chaosium (MAY IT BURN IN HELL) games nerds.  hmm

Anyway, anime is what I don't understand. Neither style, nor Eastern twisted fantasies. smile

Last edited by T_W_D (10/11/09 03:10)

#8 10/11/09 08:10

Iritscen

You just haven't seen the show that's right for you.  Sometimes what's most popular just isn't your thing, but I am sure that there's something you'd like, since animé covers all genres and styles to some degree.  It helps if you have someone to recommend a show based on knowing your personality.

I don't have a single favorite, but here's some of my favorites:
Rurouni Kenshin
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Read or Die OVA
FLCL
Trigun

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#9 10/11/09 10:10

T_W_D

You just haven't seen the show that's right for you

Uh-huh. That's exactly what anime lovers usually tell me, convinced that everyone should like at least something in Japanese animation, because it's SOOOOOO varied. hmm You know, cheese is also varied, but there are people who just can't stand cheese...

It's not as if I watched a lot of anime and haven't found my favourite yet. It's just that anime cartoons, as well as the whole anime culture seems wrong and sometimes repulsive to me on so many levels I doubt I'd find myself a favourite here. Don't want to insult anyone, it's just what I think.

Ah, yes, Oni's made in an anime style. But Oni's a game, and I like it for two things: the fights and the certain black-armored guy. Omit the style, and there's only a sci-fi action. Maybe because it was made in USA.

#10 10/11/09 10:10

Leus
Website

I like Insane Clown Posse.  I'm kind of embarrassed about that because of the reputation of their fans, but I still rock it with general pride.

There is a difference between art and its consumers.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#11 10/11/09 11:10

Gumby

To each his (her) own.

#12 10/11/09 12:10

Iritscen

T_W_D wrote:

You just haven't seen the show that's right for you

Uh-huh. That's exactly what anime lovers usually tell me, convinced that everyone should like at least something in Japanese animation, because it's SOOOOOO varied.

Well, to be fair, animé really is incredibly varied (much more than cheese :0).  I can't think of a single genre it hasn't covered, for a single intended demographic.  I think you've let the Internet ruin it for you, because over-enthusiastic kids (isn't that redundant?) are the most noticeable animé fans.

Let's put it this way.  When I was in high school, the only kids I heard talk about animé were the freaks, the goths.  That gave me a bad impression.  It was only when I approached it on my own terms, just watching cartoons and coming across animé mixed in with them, that I began to appreciate it.

I eventually realized that the reason only that one group in school talked about animé was that they were the only ones in the entire school openly rebelling against the conformity that most of us were slaves to.  They weren't concerned about what others thought of them or they wouldn't have dressed the way they did in the first place, so they also weren't afraid of the stigma that animé had.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

#13 10/11/09 12:10

TOCS

I know it's kinda childish, but I'll never forget the Pokémon- and Dragon Ball series. I'm actualy rewatching it all right now.. It brings back alot of good old memories.

#14 10/11/09 13:10

Iritscen

Yeah, I'm very interested in the Dragon Ball DVD set they just released.

#15 10/11/09 13:10

Leus
Website

Not caring what others think of you is a tricky business...  On one hand, people have a lot of trivial judgments based on cultural conditioning, but on the other the only way you truly know your value as a person is how you impact the lives of others.......

#16 10/11/09 13:10

Iritscen

True, but once you're out of school you start to realize that uniqueness can be respected to a degree as long as you're a confident and reliable person, unlike when you're a teen and you're constantly scrutinized by classmates looking for anything about you that doesn't fit in.  Once you're in the adult world you find out that the conformity you were being brainwashed into in school is viewed derisively and you're supposed to be your own person.  It's a very contradictory thing.

#17 10/11/09 14:10

T_W_D

I think you've let the Internet ruin it for you, because over-enthusiastic kids (isn't that redundant?) are the most noticeable animé fans.

That's the one side of the coin, yes. And the other one is, well, the weirdness. Rly, a cat you can sit in like in a car (can't remember that movie's name) is something sick. Not to mention the static frames, pink/green hair and the like.

I used to have a neighbour who was really into anime. We weren't really friends (she was strange, she never used makeup, her apartment stank of dog urine, and she could go outside wearing only a nightgown), but she was an artist, and I either asked her to draw something for me, or just stared on her works, trying to figure out 1) how was it made, 2) how to draw like this. Whenever I visited her, she watched her cartoons and showed me plenty of them. I never watched them whole (I don't even remember the titles), but I had enough to form an opinion.

#18 10/11/09 15:10

Gumby

You want a serious anime then. They do exist. wink

#19 10/11/09 23:10

T_W_D

"Serious" - you mean the ones with rivers of blood, gore and sick fetishes? Or the ones that raise "philosophical questions" stolen from the Bible and interpreted in Jap new age style?

#20 10/11/09 23:10

Leus
Website

T_W_D is very anti-anime biased.

/observation

#21 10/12/09 00:10

Gumby

T_W_D wrote:

"Serious" - you mean the ones with rivers of blood, gore and sick fetishes? Or the ones that raise "philosophical questions" stolen from the Bible and interpreted in Jap new age style?

No, I mean something like "Grave of the Fireflies". No blood, gore, fetishes, magical cats, . A few philosophical questions, I suppose, but any good movie should raise them.

"On the final days of World War II, 14-year-old Seita and his four-year-old sister Setsuko are orphaned after their mother is killed during an air-raid by American forces in Kobe, Japan. After having a falling-out with their aunt, they move into an abandoned bomb shelter. With no surviving relatives and their emergency funds and rations depleted, Seita and Setsuko must struggle to survive their hardships as well as those of their country, which is on the losing end of the war"

Review, on a normal movie site: http://moviefreaks365.com/review.php?artid=10

#22 10/12/09 04:10

T_W_D

T_W_D is very anti-anime biased.

Thanks, C. O. big_smile Being biased is better than being zombified. I think.

#23 10/12/09 09:10

Iritscen

Hmm, I thought you said that you knew people could be normal and still be animé fans.  We weren't suggesting you become a zombified fan, just that you consider animé a reasonable thing to watch once in a while, among other stuff.  I mean, you've read fantasy novels, haven't you?  So what's the difference between an animated fantasy and a written one?  (Not that I couldn't list more non-fantasies like GotF.)

#24 10/12/09 14:10

T_W_D

I thought you said that you knew people could be normal and still be animé fans

I also said I don't understand them. It's hard for me to appreciate the fact that some things I like are also loved by people who seldom brush their teeth and live in their moms' basements. Yes, I am blinded by stereotypes, yes, I'm heavily influenced with the majority's opinion, and yes, I am really, really squeamish.

#25 10/12/09 15:10

Iritscen

Heh, I didn't minus you.  Well, I can understand not wanting to have a stigma attached to you; I don't exactly go around announcing to people that I'm an animé fan myself.  But I hope some day you get to know someone well-adjusted who likes animé so you can clear those stereotypes out of your mind smile  At least, they're not more true for obsessed animé fans than for comic book fans, hardcore gamers, etc.

Board footer