Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#26 10/12/09 16:10

Leus
Website

Re: Favorite anime?

Yes, I am blinded by stereotypes, yes, I'm heavily influenced with the majority's opinion, and yes, I am really, really squeamish.

People really acknowledge this all the time as if it's just a fact they're going to have to accept, if not something they're proud of.  Why not take steps to be more open-minded?

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#27 10/12/09 16:10

Fluffy

All these attempts to convince T_W_D have only made it more apparent that anime fans can be a bit obsessive. I was once treading that dangerous ground, and didn't much like the thought, so I try to keep my distance as well. Used to be pretty into Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, though tongue

Leus wrote:

People really acknowledge this all the time as if it's just a fact they're going to have to accept, if not something they're proud of.  Why not take steps to be more open-minded?

Can't speak for T_W_D, but for me? Gotta be insecurity.

#28 10/13/09 11:10

T_W_D

But I hope some day you get to know someone well-adjusted who likes animé so you can clear those stereotypes out of your mind

Exceptions only confirm the rule. Sadly enough. The majority of anime fans, comic book fans and hardcore gamers will always consist of dorks and losers. And people, including me, tend to judge by the majority.

Why not take steps to be more open-minded?

Heh. I'd discuss what "open-minded" means to me in general, but that's completely off-topic. Concerning anime and its fans - I never thought about it. Maybe it's disgust that prevents me. When people tend to avoid or even abuse those who seem to be non-normal and freaky, it's a natural instinct.

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#29 10/13/09 11:10

Gumby

T_W_D wrote:

But I hope some day you get to know someone well-adjusted who likes animé so you can clear those stereotypes out of your mind

Exceptions only confirm the rule. Sadly enough. The majority of anime fans, comic book fans and hardcore gamers will always consist of dorks and losers. And people, including me, tend to judge by the majority.

Heh, maybe so. But there are some pretty cool dorks and losers out there. wink

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#30 10/13/09 11:10

T_W_D

And why do these people want to be dorks and losers in the first place? Why don't they even try to look decent, to socialize? Maybe their fandoms won't be judged so harshly then.

#31 10/13/09 11:10

Leus
Website

All these attempts to convince T_W_D have only made it more apparent that anime fans can be a bit obsessive.

I'm not even talking about anime, personally.  The only thing I've said about it was that I watched a few animes several years ago.

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#32 10/13/09 14:10

Fluffy

T_W_D wrote:

And why do these people want to be dorks and losers in the first place? Why don't they even try to look decent, to socialize? Maybe their fandoms won't be judged so harshly then.

Maybe they're too into what they're doing to notice! Could also be that they aren't great at not being dorks and losers, and aren't so intent upon making a better impression that they'd spend an inordinate amount of time trying.

Leus wrote:

I'm not even talking about anime, personally.  The only thing I've said about it was that I watched a few animes several years ago.

That was directed at Iritscen and Gumby, really. They seemed to be trying too hard tongue

#33 10/13/09 14:10

T_W_D

Could also be that they aren't great at not being dorks and losers, and aren't so intent upon making a better impression

Or not intent at all. I mean, I know not everyone wants to be perfect, but you must be really obsessed with something to stop bathing and wear the same shirt for months.

Last edited by T_W_D (10/13/09 14:10)

#34 10/13/09 15:10

Fluffy

T_W_D wrote:

Or not intent at all. I mean, I know not everyone wants to be perfect, but you must be really obsessed with something to stop bathing and wear the same shirt for months.

They're probably in the minority. Then again, how can one tell with basement dwellers?

#35 10/13/09 15:10

Gumby

T_W_D wrote:

They socialize with other dorks and losers. smile Really, most anime watchers do bathe and change their clothes and live relatively normal lives.

#36 10/15/09 12:10

Shade

T_W_D wrote:

I hate Japanese cartoons. They're weird, and most anime fans are even more weird.

I like video games and I'm weird tongue

Also for anyone who wants to watch a good anime that isn't *childish* You should check out Death Note and Elfen Lied. But I have to warn you. Some scenes contain nudity and allot of gore and violence for Elfen Lied. Death Note is just. Awesome. And I have to tell you allot of killing scenes on Death Note. And the only reason why Pokemon is *childish* is because 4Kids ruined it all.

Last edited by Shade (10/15/09 12:10)

#37 10/17/09 11:10

demos_kratos

Well, T_W_D, there is slightly visible border between being a dork and loser who faps on everything that is influenced by the word "Japan" and a normal anime lover. I've watched tons of anime. But I'm still normal, I think. Adequate at least wink If you have a strong vision of the world anime won't become your idol. I know some freaks back here and I'd call 'em "долбо*бы". (do not try to translate it, guys, it's a bad word wink ) I hate when an ugly phat dork who is barely 14 y'old gets a costume of bishounen... It offends canonic drawings!

BTW, you can try to watch "Peach Girl" (drama, comedy, romantic shoujo) A realistic anime with no mechs or freakin' gunships or other nonsense that is unrelated to real life. You can also try "Kimi ga nozomu eien" (it is called "Беспокойные сердца" in russian localization*).

And (/d_k is doing a Jedi mind trick) you do not want to watch an anime with russian voices. It really SUX.

P. S. Learning japanese have nothing to do with anime ^_^; I started it 'coz of Karate.

* - That translation is nonsense. 君が望む永遠 means "Eternity you wish for"

Last edited by demos_kratos (10/17/09 11:10)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#38 10/17/09 12:10

T_W_D

Also for anyone who wants to watch a good anime that isn't *childish*

I never told anime is childish. And death/nudity scenes don't make these cartoons a delight for everyone to watch.

Well, T_W_D, there is slightly visible border between being a dork and loser who faps on everything that is influenced by the word "Japan" and a normal anime lover.

Whatever. Of course, there is a certain per cent of normal people among anime/games/comics lovers. But for me, when a majority of those who share your interests are far from normal... well, I kinda explained it already, two times like. I grow tired of repeating myself.

As someone on lurkmore.ru said, "It's sad that such a wonderful music like metal is listened by such sick f*cks like metalheads". (Ah, yes. Metal. Another interest Not To Mention About. But it's fun sometimes to listen to Siebenburgen on a bus, looking like all blond, pink and bimbo, and reap 0___0s from passengers).

#39 10/17/09 12:10

Leus
Website

Metal sux0rz lawl.

#40 10/17/09 12:10

T_W_D

Maybe, I don't care.

Metal subculture surely suxx.

Last edited by T_W_D (10/17/09 12:10)

#41 10/17/09 13:10

Iritscen

So how did you come to be a metal fan if you don't like many of the other fans?  cool

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#42 10/17/09 13:10

Leus
Website

cool

Rofl.

Sorry...  /non-contributory posts

#43 10/17/09 13:10

T_W_D

So how did you come to be a metal fan

I'm not a "fan" of anything, thanks God. Concerning music, I listen to pretty much everything from pop to industrial, metal included.

Years ago, I heard some Hammerfall songs while riding with my bf around the night city. I asked him, what music is that, so he gave me the CD. The rest I Googled. smile

Last edited by T_W_D (10/17/09 13:10)

#44 10/17/09 13:10

Leus
Website

Thanks God?

#45 10/17/09 14:10

demos_kratos

I dunno how is it back there, on your end, but in Russia.. I'd really say "thank G-d". Russian majority still thinks that

(being_a_fan == being_a_freak) == True;

But they're some kind of specific freaks with high level of self-importance and they and they often *woo-hoo* brains of normal people. They have very flat vision of the world and... Well, I'm not supposed to care about 'em. wink

P. S. There should be a verb instead of *woo-hoo* that I'm not supposed to pronounce here. (for insurance)

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#46 10/17/09 14:10

T_W_D

Thanks God?

Or maybe good taste, I don't know.

Anyway, "to be a fan" suggests you're really into something, you love it, you know writers/artists/singers by their names, collect T-shirts and figurines, this kind of thing. I never did this.

Last edited by T_W_D (10/17/09 14:10)

#47 10/17/09 14:10

Iritscen

Interesting.  You Russian are definitely wired differently than we are, that's for sure.  While it's true that our English word "fan" comes from "fanatic", we don't normally make that association.  Most people here see a few shades of differences between liking something, loving it, and being obsessed with it.  It sounds like you guys are saying that in Russia you either casually kind of like something, or else you're an out of control fanatic.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#48 10/17/09 14:10

Gumby

I think its just English being silly and divergent, myself.

#49 10/17/09 14:10

T_W_D

It sounds like you guys are saying that in Russia you either casually kind of like something, or else you're an out of control fanatic.

I think that's because we are heavily influenced with public opinion, and in English world people are mostly like "It's more important to be yourself". For example, I lived in Australia for a year, and at first I was shocked, 'cause Australian women don't seem to care about their look at all. They mostly wear Something Clean, like t-shirt and jeans/breeches and rarely use makeup. In Russia, we mostly wouldn't dare to go out looking like this.

I think, we're less tolerant to things that aren't normal, and generally don't try to examine their varieties. So we don't make a difference. A fan? -> A freak, obviously.

And there really is a lot of self-important teenage geeks who'd shit in your brain about anime/rock/Harry Potter being soooo cooool. It innerves.

#50 10/18/09 15:10

T_W_D

Concerning weirdness...

1213946563923hd5_tn.jpg

THIS isn't anime, but it shows that something's surely wrong with Japs.

Board footer