Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#126 10/15/09 22:10

Mukade

Re: Anyone here bored besides me?

mmmmm i like my dead animals rare

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#127 10/16/09 00:10

Gumby

I like my dead animals cooked with a touch of pink, myself.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#128 10/16/09 01:10

Shade

I like meh animals cooked with a bit of BBQ sauce. Anyone hungry? tongue Grillin time!!!

Last edited by Shade (10/16/09 01:10)

#129 10/16/09 01:10

Leus
Website

l sad

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#130 10/16/09 01:10

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Don't be sad Leus, I too abstain from meat. smile

And I haven't been bored in forever, it seems like there's too much to do. neutral

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#131 10/16/09 02:10

Leus
Website

That simple post was quite refreshing in a surprising amount of ways.  smile

If we don't change the direction we're going, we'll likely end up where we're headed.

#132 10/16/09 03:10

Stevinlewis

OMG Harry! Your bacK!!!!! smile)

#133 10/16/09 03:10

Gumby

Vegetarian is an old Indian word for "lousy hunter". wink

That being said, I have no problem with vegetarianism, my mother is one herself.

#134 10/16/09 05:10

levka1

lol this thread is changing topics reallly fast tongue Well i like meat , me hungry Urk. I ate five buub tug!  (http://www.orcs.ca/orcsmain/resourcelangol.html) hehe. Well i am against vegetarianism as it is bad for health, and well. Men must eat a lot of meat, and meat must satisfy men! Anyway you cant lie to your body about food you eat.

#135 10/16/09 16:10

Lithium

no this seems like a debating topic. Yep let all our worries fade away into debates, Yup i love arguing on a subject. HOw bout u guys?

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#136 10/16/09 16:10

Iritscen

I haven't seen you participate in the debate, yet, actually.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#137 10/16/09 16:10

Gumby

Fun fact: Vegetarian (marshmallowless) rice crispies do exist, apparently. I made them today. smile

#138 10/16/09 17:10

Lithium

well cuz its kinda hard to keep track of it. Cuz we get like 10 posts per night.
cool howd u get them to stick together?

edit: see theres a whole page i didnt read oops sorry guys sad

Last edited by Lithium (10/16/09 17:10)

#139 10/17/09 08:10

3llense'g

Lol, poor oxe.  lol

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#140 10/17/09 08:10

adorage

Okay, I know I promised to respond yesterday but I didn't get around to it. First week of the semester and all that.

Leus wrote:

when it comes to environmentalism however, my hopes of a "cooperative" solution become less every day.

Like I was just saying man, hope and faith are the KEY.  DON'T give up that hope, that is THE most important thing you can do.  Even if you feel logically it is totally unjustified, KEEP FAITH ALIVE.  Faith and logic are too separate things, and to know truth you ultimately need faith.  Faith in the good in your fellow humans' hearts and that they still have the chance to make the right choices yet.

But doesn't this lead to dangerous false hopes? I DO believe that humans are at their core good - but I also know that this goodness can be perverted to such a degree that not much is left of it. I have a really hard time believing that our culture is going to become "sane" enough to enable people to make the necessary changes in the near future. I don't feel I can rely on people to go against their short-term interests "for the good of all" when there is so little accountability. Things have to change, but where do we begin? I think education is too superficial (depending of course on what is meant by the term).

Leus wrote:

There are cultures that reward egotism, there are those that reward sharing.

That also depends how you define "reward," though.  Personally, I look around at my fellow Americans and see emptiness and despair in a world of excessive comfort, and I believe it is because we KNOW deep down what this social structure means for the quality of life on Earth in general...  To get where we are, we've had to hurt and exploit so many of our fellow creatures on this planet, and to try and compensate for our sickening feelings of unknown origin we try to come up with more ways to entertain and satisfy ourselves, but that just causes us to hurt and exploit MORE.

By reward I mean social reward. In this society, you are respected if you have much, for example, but in some cultures those who give much are the most respected. A friend of my mother is a native... Canadian, technically, from British Columbia, and the way his culture used to be (and in some ways still is) a major way to increase your social standing was to host a big celebration and give presents to every guest. If you could give many of these celebrations, you were respected. A problem with this is that people would even go into debt to host such a celebration - but in the end, someone who became poor from giving so much would be more respected than someone who is rich but keeps everything to him- or herself. (and the impoverished person would be invited and given gifts in turn, so they wouldn't stay poor).

And there are examples for this everywhere, for healthier ways of living that don't restrain human nature either. A few months ago, I read on a people who lives on the Trobriand islands (if I remember correctly) and they are very passionate and also competitive gardeners. Successful gardening will earn you respect, people walk around and inspect other gardeners' work, they have competitions for who has the highest crop yield, etc. And in the end, this form of competition benefits everyone because there's lots of food as a result of it. I see this as an example for a way to incorporate the competitive tendencies of humans into a society without letting it become a cut-throat race to the top. I don't want to idealise these societies or suggest that everyone should copy them but they *are* examples for how saner ways to handle certain things are possible.

And I agree with what you wrote on the subconscious knowledge of what we're doing to the world depressing people. There are few worse things than unacknowledged and unvalidated grief.

Leus wrote:

Also, it legitimises the way this culture operates (because it's "the way nature intended us to be". Not very different from the concept of a "god-given order of things", only with a pretense of scientific accuracy)

Exactly.  Nature DID set us up to consume, destroy and collapse.  Everything in nature is built on that ebb and flow, rise and fall wave pattern.  But there is no MEANING behind this pattern anywhere but in the lives of sentient beings.  This meaning is what negates the necessity for us to just keep consuming and destroying until we DO collapse.  And of course we'll all be gone some day, but that day doesn't have to be so soon.

And we don't have to take the whole planet with us when we go down. Yeah, it's a kind of pulsation and when you lose that - or suppress it - it removes you from the flow of life, whether on an individual or a cultural level.

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#141 10/17/09 09:10

Stevinlewis

OMG OLD MAN! i havnt seen you talk inwhile. Sorry I judge people by their display pic. And im getting bored myself. Wonder if I should jump down the building or jump off a moving roller coaster.

#142 10/17/09 09:10

adorage

Stevinlewis wrote:

OMG OLD MAN! i havnt seen you talk inwhile. Sorry I judge people by their display pic. And im getting bored myself. Wonder if I should jump down the building or jump off a moving roller coaster.

SOLAR PANEL VILLAGE! YOU'RE BACK!

But we're not talking about being bored anymore but about whether to eat meat and how to bring down western civilisation smile

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#143 10/17/09 09:10

Stevinlewis

OMG YOU WERENT SUPPOSE TO KNOW THAT WHERE I LIVE DEPENDS ON SOLAR PANEL! NOW YOU KNOW OUR SECRET. YOU DIE!!!!!!!!!11 I prefere to eat meat. Altought im pretty fat (weigh about 80kg ) Im trying to excercise and jog frequently instead of my daily routine: Wake up, brush teeth, bathe, play comp till 11am in the night and sleep. Thats what i usally do. But I think its okay to eat meat so long as you have some vegetables on ur plate and you go for a jog every evening.

Nah we shouldent bring down the western civlisation. Its very unique and big and fat and strong (No offence) And we should have a variety of people so that next time when the aliens come and try to have S*X with us, they have a variety like how you should have a veriety of food on ur plate.

WTF? I said all that and 2 paragraphs already? Ow man....

#144 10/17/09 09:10

T_W_D

Wake up, brush teeth, bathe, play comp till 11am in the night and sleep.

Where d'you get money from?

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#145 10/17/09 10:10

Stevinlewis

IM NOT OLD ENOUGH TO GO TO WORK YET DUH! HOW OLD DO YOU THINK I AM? Im only a 13 year old... Anyway levka you dont really ruin the topics. You just create history for the topics. Meaning you help the future readers to read and understand better if not they would just "Aiya so boring i dun wan read" and then they skip to another post. Cmon levka you can do it! Btw TWD havnt seen you in awhile how you been?

Last edited by Stevinlewis (10/17/09 10:10)

#146 10/17/09 10:10

paradox-01

levka .. that reminds me. He gave me this: "HOME"
Comes in different languages
Arabic -- English -- French -- German -- Russian -- Spanish
Maybe you guys will like it too, and it's not really off-topic considering the "we are all doomed talk".

Edit: You can even download the raw for personal use** with this. (** "HOME has been made for you : share it! And act for the planet".)
Edit2: fixed like to real German version and added more languages

Last edited by paradox-01 (10/19/09 09:10)

#147 10/17/09 10:10

Leus
Website

But doesn't this lead to dangerous false hopes?

Having faith that humanity will make the right choice doesn't entail not taking action to be part of the choice; after all, we're part of humanity, right?  The only alternative to having hope is, of course, to give up hope.  And honestly, what's more dangerous than that?  I feel that the ONLY way things will ever change is if people keep hope ALIVE; if enough people believe the change can be made, they'll make it.  But if they're all alone in a world of hopelessness and despair they'll be tempted to give up too.  It's a support system, basically.

when there is so little accountability. Things have to change, but where do we begin?

By forcing people to start taking responsibility, I guess.  Information is becoming more and more apparent every day as independent journalists are finding ways around media censorship and releasing valuable, pertinent and important information to people.  I think some day soon we'll finally realize the big picture; maybe in 2012?   wink

Successful gardening will earn you respect, people walk around and inspect other gardeners' work, they have competitions for who has the highest crop yield, etc. And in the end, this form of competition benefits everyone because there's lots of food as a result of it.

I dig that.  smile

But we're not talking about being bored anymore but about whether to eat meat and how to bring down western civilisation smile

I lol'd.

#148 10/17/09 10:10

T_W_D

Im only a 13 year old

Ah. Kinda missed that.

havnt seen you in awhile

Was on tournament, earning my rank and medals.

I think some day soon we'll finally realize the big picture; maybe in 2012?

2012... A giant rock flies toward Earth... In fire, it falls from the sky... An ominous writing cover it... And it says: "It's 21.12.2012. You Aztek calendar has expired. We send you a 2.0 upgrade to year 4113. Thank you for using our Aztek calendars!" big_smile

Fanfiction should be viewed as a property damage.

#149 10/17/09 11:10

Leus
Website

Lol.

#150 10/17/09 14:10

Lithium

3llense'g wrote:

Lol, poor oxe.  lol

wat do u mean im spamming like crazy that deserves a horrible day for me....

Board footer