Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 09/24/09 23:09

Shade

Karma question?

I have a question about the karma thing and I haven't been online for a couple of days. What does the Karma stand for? How can you tell if you got negative karma or positive karma?

#2 09/24/09 23:09

Gumby

Re: Karma question?

Karma is post rating. In general, if someone likes what you posts (ie, it is helpful\funny\creative\whatever), they will give you positive karma. If you post spammy junk, you might get negative karma.

You can see if someone got rated by a post by looking in between the thumb icons. You can see someone's total karma by looking under their name and avatar.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#3 09/24/09 23:09

Shade

Gumby wrote:

Karma is post rating. In general, if someone likes what you posts (ie, it is helpful\funny\creative\whatever), they will give you positive karma. If you post spammy junk, you might get negative karma.

You can see if someone got rated by a post by looking in between the thumb icons. You can see someone's total karma by looking under their name and avatar.

Thanks for the info Gumby, And welcome back big_smile

#4 09/25/09 02:09

Stevinlewis

O i c.... Oh darn -3 karma>:(

#5 09/25/09 14:09

dream996

but what if someone give u a -karma on purpose ???? all u have to do if u hate that person press the thumb button =[

Last edited by dream996 (09/25/09 14:09)

PunBB bbcode test

#6 09/25/09 14:09

Gumby

Well, the neat thing is that you can see if someone has been negatived. If you disagree with it, you can always counter it out with a positive. If you think someone has been abusing the system, PM me, Iritscen, or Harry, and we will see what we can do.

#7 09/25/09 14:09

dream996

why dont we just cancel the system out and how m i suppose to know which post i have be  -karma ...

PunBB bbcode test

#8 09/25/09 14:09

Iritscen

The system is useful because people find out when the community feels that they are making posts that are not helpful or reasonable.  As far as seeing which posts have been minused, I would just suggest that you will see them going forward and not to worry about past posts.  When you are posting in a thread, and check the responses that come after you, you will notice if your post has been plussed or minused.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#9 09/25/09 15:09

Lithium

Yea and it prolly helps noobies on who to trust. like hmm shoul i trust Edt with 8 karma or oxe -14 karma? So obviously u choose someone wiser. But the only reason u guys dont like it its cuz of the -. But u can earn it back by changing ur attitude.
(and mine all mine, no more sharing smile )

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#10 09/25/09 23:09

Shade

oxe161 wrote:

Yea and it prolly helps noobies on who to trust. like hmm shoul i trust Edt with 8 karma or oxe -14 karma? So obviously u choose someone wiser. But the only reason u guys dont like it its cuz of the -. But u can earn it back by changing ur attitude.
(and mine all mine, no more sharing smile )

oxe why do you have -12 karma?

#11 09/26/09 09:09

dream996

the system is giving pressure to all the member ( to be honest ) ___, nobody a going to respone , because they might get a thumb down =[.....and really ....they should have a vote on the krama system before they put in on the site =[

Last edited by dream996 (09/26/09 09:09)

PunBB bbcode test

#12 09/26/09 09:09

Alloc
Website

The only people who have to "fear" negative Karma are the ones who only post unrelated stuff (aka "spam") or who's messages are completely incomprehensible (at least as long as the other users use the Karma system for in the right way and not in order to annoy other people).

@Mods: Can you see who gave what Karma for a post? Eg. if you notice a lot of posts which got seemingly incorrect Karma can you see if those were given by the same user who misuses the system?

Regards,
Chris

ONI2.net, link to just any important resource-pages about ONI.

#13 09/26/09 09:09

Iritscen

Alloc wrote:

@Mods: Can you see who gave what Karma for a post? Eg. if you notice a lot of posts which got seemingly incorrect Karma can you see if those were given by the same user who misuses the system?

I haven't seen a way to do that, no.

#14 09/26/09 10:09

3llense'g

Is there an easy way to see where I got my -1 karma? 'Couse I tried looking at my profile's "view all posts" link, but that doesn't have karma information.

You can call me 3llen. It's shorter and simpler. wink

#15 09/26/09 10:09

Iritscen

I haven't found a way to do that either.

#16 09/26/09 10:09

dream996

well too annoying ,,,if u give sombody -1karma in a really really really old post ,and u wont be able to know where that is .....,,,and who that is !!!!!

PunBB bbcode test

#17 09/26/09 11:09

Iritscen

Well, hopefully people won't do that, and will only give karma for recent posts, but again, everyone will get a minus once in a while; it's not a problem as long as you get plusses too smile  I would suggest that anyone unhappy with a negative karma think more about "What can I do to get plussed in the future?" than "What can I do to fix past minuses?"

#18 09/26/09 12:09

dream996

hopefully  ,,what do u mean hopefully ,,,,:(  ..wat if they give -karma to who they hate or just given it randomly ?and what if they edit the post after someone gave the -karma ?

Last edited by dream996 (09/26/09 12:09)

PunBB bbcode test

#19 09/26/09 12:09

adorage

That's a lot of "hopefully"s. I don't really see why we need this system. I mean, we're a rather small forum and in most cases, as soon as I see a member's post, I know what to expect.

You're all like... like big fat failure turtles!

#20 09/26/09 12:09

dream996

agree with you ....should we have a vote ???? i think so

PunBB bbcode test

#21 09/26/09 12:09

Gumby

If it blows up in our faces, its easy enough to remove. I would advocate a longer delay between karmas given though. Maybe two karma changes per day, or so. In any case, it is up to Harry.

#22 09/26/09 12:09

TomeOne
Administrator
Website

Eay way to avoid negative karma: don't be an idiot and keep off-topic junk in the off-topic forum.

Capiche?

Harry | oni.bungie.org

#23 09/26/09 13:09

dream996

but why dont u just make a vote b4 u put the system in the site ???

PunBB bbcode test

#24 09/26/09 13:09

Mukade

I agree it isn't hard to keep your Karma up high, like Harry said, don't be an idiot and post off topic posts. If you get a minus, it's not the end ofthe world. OXe is still around with -10 karma, and some ppl are freaking out because they have -1.... its only a forum people lol. Im being very blunt here, no one take offense at this please.

"He looks mean enough to tear my arm off and beat me to death with it. In fact, he looks mean enough to tear his OWN arm off and beat me to death with it."

#25 09/26/09 13:09

Gumby

dream996 wrote:

but why dont u just make a vote b4 u put the system in the site ???

Because it is his site, and it isn't harming anyone.

Board footer