dream996

Re: Wanting to make my own models

wow looking good =]
keep up !

PunBB bbcode test

#27 08/22/09 21:08

Iritscen

Nice, it looks great.  We'll see how the hair works out, ain't no one done tried the transparency on the hair yet but it could turn out pretty cool.

Pro tip: export an existing TXMP.oni file using OniSplit's "-extract:xml" command to get the XML file that you can use to set the format for the texture you're importing on the way back in.  You can pick from the options listed on the TXMP page in the bitfield breakdown (where it says stuff like "RGB555").  You'll see where you type the format name in the XML when you extract an existing TXMP.  Feel free to ask more questions about this when you get to it.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#28 08/22/09 21:08

Lapis
Website

dream996: Thanks, I've finished the skin already just need to do the hair,eyelashes and the eyes.

Iritscen: hmm right now I'm just making my textures in Photoshop, then I was going to save it out as a png or tga and then use the onisplit gui thingy to export to the oni engine. But to be honest I have no idea how to, I'm just kind of tackling what's in front of me now.

Would you be to explain a step by step using the gui instead? cause that's what I've been using, I'm more of a visual person so text based stuff scare me.

I have a feeling I will be asking many question as time draws nearer.

#29 08/22/09 22:08

dream996

i think they wouldn't mind anwer your question =]
looking forward to it  cool waht move are you going to give her ?=]
by the way i think the STEREO HEADPHONE   thiny need to be longer( to her lips)and at the end of the STEREO HEADPHONE you need a ball shape thiny (if you know what i mean

Last edited by dream996 (08/22/09 22:08)

PunBB bbcode test

#30 08/22/09 22:08

Iritscen

Hmm, a Windows user will have to answer your questions about the GUI, I'm on a Mac.  Sorry for the useless comment, just wanted to let you know why I don't have anything useful to say on the subject :-3

#31 08/22/09 23:08

Lapis
Website

Hello again,

dream996: now sure what you mean what move I'm going to give the hair, the closest thing I can think of is do you mean what colour I'm going to give the hair? if that's it Purple. Yeah I did a really fast job on the mic didn't want to spend too long on it, but maybe I will revisit it and fix it.

Iritscen: all good thanks for telling me.

Ok so I've finished texturing the head now, probably will re-do the mic piece sometime don't like how it looks.
Also need to fix some of the interpenetration going on later as well. I think I might try and make her more angry looking as well.

Now I'm just wondering if this work flow I'm thinking of trying soon is going to work. I've done my texturing in Photoshop and the only file format that supports alpha map that I think can be converted to something Oni can use is .tga files.

So...

If i make a alpha channel in photoshop normally as I would for masking out things and save it out as a tga with alpha channel can I just convert that into the oni file(TXMP.oni??????) will that automatically assign like a transparency to it?

Here is a update pictures of what i've done so far as well. sorry for the interpenetration and also there are no transparency on the materials so the grey bits will show up.

Image are of the model in Photoshop with no-lights so should be how they will look in oni.....SHOULD.....

Oni_model_04.jpg

Oni_model_05.jpg

Oni_model_06.jpg

Texture size is 512x512

Thanks

#32 08/22/09 23:08

myplea1

wow thats awsome good work so what move set will this charecter have konoko's

Awol

#33 08/23/09 00:08

Lapis
Website

myplea1: Oh, right moves haha, I'm not too sure wasn't really thinking about that just wanted to make a nice looking model. Is there a way to take certain moves from different characters?

#34 08/23/09 00:08

dream996

i don't really like the hair having holes in the middle and i think her eye need to been biger

PunBB bbcode test

#35 08/23/09 01:08

Lapis
Website

Just a quick question does oni support only 8bit textures or 16bit as well?

Also I think the hair is too low textured, is it possible for me to assign two textures to one geometry?

Last edited by Lapis (08/23/09 02:08)

#36 08/23/09 04:08

bobbysoon

How about a patch over her other eye?
I think purple would be redundant, with Konoko's being purple.

so far all the models I've imported had each object using just one texture.

#37 08/23/09 07:08

Pierre

Looks good!
If it doesn't work out for you guys in Oni, I can use it in KP  big_smile

#38 08/23/09 07:08

Shade

Hmmm I wonder if someone could make a Princess Zelda Model from The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Import it into Oni... I wonder if that's possible.

#39 08/23/09 08:08

dream996

she doesn't really fit in the game oni =[

PunBB bbcode test

#40 08/23/09 08:08

Shade

dream996 wrote:

she doesn't really fit in the game oni =[

true but that would be one awesome mod tho

#41 08/23/09 08:08

dream996

it would be a mess if ramdom character is added XD
but isn't there some forum already out there (CG)
i think they would have some character XD

PunBB bbcode test

#42 08/23/09 08:08

Iritscen

Lapis wrote:

Ok so I've finished texturing the head now, probably will re-do the mic piece sometime don't like how it looks.

The only problem I see at all is that from the front view, the tip has a point going towards her mouth, instead of being rounded.

Lapis wrote:

If i make a alpha channel in photoshop normally as I would for masking out things and save it out as a tga with alpha channel can I just convert that into the oni file(TXMP.oni??????) will that automatically assign like a transparency to it?

In theory, yes. smile  You just have to save the .tga in precisely the right format (matching what you plan to use as the format flag for the import, see my post before last).

I think the overall model is pretty much perfect -- the eyes are great as-is.  I just have one question, which is whether you are going for a bit of an animé aesthetic with the face geometry.  From the front, especially when textured, the face says "realistic Asian" to me.  But from the side, there's an animé thing going on with the sharp tip on the nose.  Is that intentional?

#43 08/23/09 08:08

EdT
Website

Lapis: That is correct.  If you use black in the Alpha channel, it will appear transparent in Oni.
Now there are 3 formats that support the Alpha channel:
bgra4444 (4,096 colors, alpha channel 16 levels)
bgra5551 (32,768 colors, alpha channel 2 levels)
bgra32 (16,777,216 colors, alpha channel 256 levels)

bgra32 obviously is the best, but a patched Oni that can display it has not been released. If you want to patch the engine yourself, you will need a hex editor and change a couple of values in the engine.  That info is here: http://wiki.oni2.net/Oni_engine_patches_%28Win%29

#44 08/23/09 09:08

Iritscen

What really needs to happen is getting 32-bit support added into the Daodan DLL. *hint hint Rossy  wink *

#45 08/23/09 16:08

Lapis
Website

bobbysoon: haha funny you should say that about the eye patch, in my concept drawings I did one of them had a patch over her eye. Maybe one of the other characters I want to make can have one. But right now for this character the way I unwrapped the UVs half the face share the same space so I save space but still get both sides painted.

Pierre: Sure, I'd love to help out anyway I can.

Shade: I could maybe make someone who looks like zelda but I would probably change some of her to fit into Oni

dream996: Imagine if Mario was running around in Oni hahaha all he can do is jump onto of people.

Iritscen: Thanks, It was pretty fun making her. I've never made a game model before so i was quite surprised how well high res modelling translated down to low res. I think the style might be because from when I was little I drew anime style all the time but as I got older and saw new styles I started to incorporate my own style in. I tried to draw western style before, it turned out Anime.

EdT: ahhhh yeah bgra32 sounds the best but I'm a little afraid that it will make the texture size a little too big. I might try out bgra4444(unlucky number for asians) since it has 16 levels of alpha, I'm just wondering if 4,096 is enough colours. I think the thing about bgra5551 is that with 2 levels it won't have any kind of fall off so might look a little too harsh. But, I'm going to unwrap the UVs again and do some changes to the actual model maybe I'll use up 40 more verts I have spare. I guess 2 levels of alpha will be alright if the texture is high res enough.

I'm thinking of touching up the model a little bit

What I would like to do:

1)Design a actual mic Design.
2)Make eyes look a little meaner and a little bigger maybe to try and match my drawing more.
3)re-unwrap UVs.
4)Get the alpha channel sorted.
5)Try out head in game.
6)Finish off rest of character.

My class's production team has moved onto the next phase of our work now which is Animation/Texturing so I might have a little less time to work on this. But when I do I will post up WIPs since I know how it's like to be waiting for updates and no clue of if even being alive is given.

Thanks everyone

#46 08/23/09 20:08

dream996

are u going to make another one ???after this ?
and im actually looking forward to the out fit ! it would be cool
or give her a sun glasses !!!!=]]]

PunBB bbcode test

#47 08/24/09 06:08

demos_kratos

"bgra4444 is not enough", said SeverEd. don't afraid of sizes. it's not a problem. really.

Jente, du er deilig, du er lekker, ihvertfall nå når jeg drikker.
Baby, du har det som trengs, hva er sannsynligheten for at vi to hopper til sengs?
Kan du si meg det? Jeg er ikke så stø i sannsynlighetsregning.

#48 08/24/09 08:08

Iritscen

Yeah, texture size is not a concern.

#49 08/24/09 15:08

paradox-01

sorry to interrupt but according to my source: transparency doesn't work on characters  neutral

#50 08/24/09 15:08

Iritscen

Uh-oh.  I guess this is why I've never seen it done...  neutral   (But that's strange, isn't it?)

Board footer