Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/21/07 14:05

geyser
Website

Oni ni Kanabô

HERE you can find a tentative mod pack. It's called "nikanabo" because of that "Oni ni kanabô" proverb.
You can download either archive and extract the "nikanabo" folder into your Oni folder, so that it's alongside GameDataFolder and Oni.exe
If you're a nerd, you can then synchronize your local nikanabo folder with http://svn.oni2.net/nikanabo/current
(that way, you'll download future changes incrementally, rather than as archives; then again, the thing is small)

There are short readme.txt files in every subfolder of "nikanabo" and you should be able to take it from there, be it on Mac or PC.
On PC, use can use the system with your usual File Explorer, as the .bat files (Windows shell scripts) will be clickable.
On Linux and the Mac, either you can configure scripts to be clickable, or you'll have to run them from the Terminal.

One thing I didn't stress in the readmes is that running a script from the current directory doesn't work by default on UNIX.
That's because the current directory AKA "." is not part of the PATH variable. This is sort of part of the UNIX philosophy smile
If you add the current dir to the path, then entering "xbackup.sh" or "xinstall.sh" at the prompt will work. But don't do it.
What you can do is explicitly run the "sh" interpreter with the script as a parameter, i.e., "sh xbackup.sh".
Or, you can specify the path to be used for the current file: "./xbackup.sh" . That's the recommended way.

This first release doesn't have many scripts. I will include scripts like Oni Team Arena (yet), Titan Mode, and Tosh's Sniper Mod at a later point.
So apart from the modding "engine" as such and ssg's "Oni Light" scripts, the only feature would be the binary patches for DemOni.
I did a few global modifications to the PC and Mac versions, and started tweaking the Warehouse (no effect with original scripts).

More information in the readmes and here, later on. I might do a video trailer highlighting the new features. Unless you guys do smile

This is still beta stuff. I made sure that it wouldn't delete any user content (sorry again, Ed), and proofread all the scripts.
If any of that still doesn't work, just let me know here. Same if you have questions or wishes or suggestions or insults smile

One last thing.
I'm not sure how much of a future this repository will have. On PC, the Daodan is getting quite powerful, and so the mod-loading system will most probably change.
However, since Daodan probably won't be ported to Mac any time soon, "nikanabo" would still be relevant for a while. That's why I made an SVN repository for it.

The way this "nikanabo" thing installs mods (putting modded contents in the same preset locations as the original game content and level logic) is of course rudimentary as compared to Oni's engine being able to browse for a list/tree of level logic folders, then load the appropriate game content for them... all that loading being done at runtime.
We'll have to decide on a Daodan-friendly storage layout for that runtime-loadable stuff (level logic), but whatever it looks like, generation of modded logic and content from patches would be carried out by an external tool such as Tosh's Mod Manager or this "nikanabo" thing.

So... Waiting for the first bug reports. And testing myself... both on PC and Linux.
DemOni is cool since it fits on a 512-MB USB stick, complete with backups and mods.
Playing a game like Oni from a USB stick... anywhere... that's definitely cool, ain't it?

Last edited by geyser (05/22/07 09:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#2 05/21/07 22:05

EdT
Website

Re: Oni ni Kanabô

Tested with the Mac Demo from Feral.
xbackup.sh works!
xdelta macpowpc.sh works
original xinstall.sh works

onilight xinstall.sh error: syntax error near unexpected token `else'
demonix xauthor.sh error: cannot execute binary file
demonix xinstall.sh error: syntax error near unexpected token `else'

#3 05/22/07 07:05

geyser
Website

@ EdT: Fixed both problems, hopefully (updated archives and "current"). Thanks for testing.

@ WIMC: about those UNIX shell scripts not being clickable or even runnable "on their own".

If you add the current dir to the path, then entering "xbackup.sh" or "xinstall.sh" at the prompt will work.

Our Linux guru Mr. Alloc speaketh thus:

(5/21/2007 11:18:00 PM) Alloc: you know ... it's a *really* *bad* idea to tell ppl to add . to the search-path
(5/21/2007 11:19:00 PM) Alloc: there's a reason that programs aren't executed from anywhere in unix
(5/21/2007 11:19:00 PM) Alloc: the "sh" and "./" thingie should be enough

For further wisdom and general UNIX/Linux/Darwin support, I hereby redirect you to Mr. Alloc wink

EDIT: The alternative to the "sh" and "./" thingie is to click the scripts from the Explorer/Finder/Whatever.
Alloc says it works with the Gnome environment (Linux): lists a few options, one of them being to run the script.

Last edited by geyser (05/22/07 09:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#4 05/22/07 13:05

EdT
Website

geyser:

demonix/xinstall.sh  WORKS!
I see the new weapon, dashing strikers and so on.
Hopefully, later I'll have time to test it more.

demonix/xauthor.sh: cannot execute binary file

#5 05/22/07 14:05

geyser
Website

Try again: http://svn.oni2.net/nikanabo/current/da … xauthor.sh
Still don't get what the matter is, but seems to be an issue with long lines.

#6 05/22/07 15:05

EdT
Website

Nope, still get the same message:

demonix/xauthor.sh  cannot execute binary file

If I understand correctly, is this script is supposed to make a patch from a modified dat, raw, sep file?

EDIT: I didn't find any Ninjas in level 1, must have been hiding... :-)

Last edited by EdT (05/22/07 15:05)

#7 05/23/07 04:05

geyser
Website

Are you sure you refreshed the file before downloading? I deleted the "X" in "DemoniX" in every xdelta call.

This script indeed makes a patch from the current game content, by comparing it with the one backed up in "original".
That error is really weird: I can't see anything wrong with the file no matter how I look at it. Maybe rewrite it from scratch...

I guess we'll be all the wiser when we find out. Curiously, Mr. Alloc's wisdom  has been of no help so far wink

Ninjas are not spawned by the level logic (yet). So you have to type ai2_spawnall early on.
Or you can spawn them separately: they're called ninja1, ninja2 and ninja3.

Clicking scripts doesn't work with KDE/SUSE here. What about the Mac: still no dice?

Last edited by geyser (05/23/07 06:05)

#8 05/23/07 12:05

EdT
Website

geyser:

Figured it out, sort of.

Somehow, the terminal treated the xauthor.sh as a binary file. Thus the error message: cannot execute binary file.
But when I copied the contents to a new text document and ran that as a shell script, it worked.

demonix/xauthor.sh
Xdelta3 detected!
Creating DemOniX patches...
DemOniX patches created.

As a test I took my modified level4 dat file that has the jetpack feature, put it in the GameDataFolder, ran xauthor.sh, got the patch.
Put the original level4 dat file back (no jetpack), ran xinstall.sh, patch worked!

Now to figure out how to make the scripts executable...

Last edited by EdT (05/23/07 13:05)

#9 05/23/07 16:05

EdT
Website

Success!

I found this program http://sveinbjorn.org/platypus which converts scripts into MacOSX applications.
Now Mac users don't need to use the terminal, they can run the various Mac apps in nikanabo.

#10 05/23/07 17:05

geyser
Website

Err... that Platypus thing looks nice, but who'll do the wrapping for all the scripts to come? you? smile
Or is there a simpler way that doesn't imply rebuilding the whole nikanabo tree as a set of apps?

Anyway, congrats. I'll have to take a close look at just what it can do...
Wrapping a generic tree of install scripts into a single GUI would be cool.
Maybe it allows for some sort of in-GUI descriptors à la Mod Manager...
Well, surely does: I'm sure it's totally feasible with AppleScript.
We shall see... Throwing a few more mods in and then talking to Myrd.

As for the demoni/xauthor.sh script... yeah, it turns out it had some binary chars at the start for some reason
EF BB BF according to all hex viewers except PSPad which says it's FF FE... I think it's just PSPad going insane.
I might have created those chars while editing that one file (some glitch or another), and didn't notice them.

Anyway, re-committed it with the silly chars taken out. Moving on to more interesting stuff... wink

Last edited by geyser (05/23/07 17:05)

#11 05/23/07 18:05

EdT
Website

I'm not sure if it can wrap several scripts into one.

I converted each of the scripts into individual apps and put them in the same folder as the original script.
So as new scripts come out, I can convert them into Mac apps.

#12 05/24/07 21:05

EdT
Website

Awesome... I was able to create a patch to convert Omnigroup's Oni to the Intel compatible, Dev Mode enabled version using xdelta!

#13 05/27/07 14:05

Loser

For some curious AI stuff go on the Wiki and look at ONCC or into Loser's talk.

"I am just a mere reflection of what I would be."

#14 05/29/07 07:05

geyser
Website

Acknowledged. I'll have a look at all that ASAP, but please be patient smile

How about sharing the TRAM tracks for splash-damaging knockdowns?

Or adding a "tackle" throw etc to melee profiles? Can it be done at all?

#15 06/06/07 14:06

Loser

HERE you can grab KONOKOblownup1, KONOKOblownup2, KONOKOblownup3, KONOKOblownup_bk1 and KONOKOblownup_bk2 with added splash damage. Knockdown animations for Konoko will be the next.
This mod is for kinda advanced users as it CANNOT be simply imported with OUP. Each anim has its own modified TRAM file (it is here only for reference ) and its own attack part, which ?can be? imported via OUP (level0.raw). After you add it, you have to write number of the row where it starts (for example attack part for KONOKOblownup1 in my level0.raw starts at line 01 B9 D3 A0 ). Then go into the level0.dat file and find its  blownup animation (if you add KONOKOblownup1-raw_attack_part, find KONOKOblownup1.TRAM in the level0.dat ). Now compare your TRAM and mine reference one. Can you see the word "link" in my TRAM ? Here you have to write number of the row where attack part begins (of course you write it into YOUR TRAM) , but BACKWARDS ^_^. I am serious, this is as it is. So in my case, this field looks: "A0 D3 B9 01".
Then just compare your TRAM and my TRAM. Find part "A0 00 04 00" and change that 04 to 05. This adds ThrowTarget flag to this animation, so it will hurt anyone, not just enemies. After this go to the last but one line of the TRAM and write here either 02 or 03 - see my reference TRAM to know where. After this process, save dat, save raw. Now it should work.

EDIT: My mistake. Text above was changed.

Last edited by Loser (06/06/07 22:06)

#16 06/06/07 14:06

geyser
Website

Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.

This mod is for kinda advanced users as it CANNOT be simply imported with OUP.

That's incorrect. OUP can import RAW parts automatically. Whoo-ee, where have you been? smile

Blownup animations have attack part that begins in zero frame of their animation

Heh. Let's just set it a few frames back, shall we?

Anything else? Hacked MELE/CMBT chunks? Not necessarily something ready-to-import...
Just something for me to look at other than in a video or in verbal form... Thanks again.

EDIT: Oh, and, Loser, you keep forgetting that the imported TRAM may have links-to-RAW (or links-to-DAT) that are uncompatible with the level0_Final of the target user...
It's not only the offsets you marked that need to be made consistent with the user's RAW, but all the offsets and dat-links. Your values for those fiedls are not universal...

Last edited by geyser (06/07/07 10:06)

#17 06/06/07 22:06

Loser

geyser: Whoo-ee, where have you been?
I have been confident with this as the whole OUP crashed twice when I have tried to add it.

Blownups are primarily used for blownups, not for knockdowns. I think that it is correct for them to be ready to deal damage from the very beginning. Well, you are coder of Oni no Kanabo. You can do with this pack whatever you want, it is yours. So set it a few frames later, if you want.

EDIT: DAAAAANG!!! You are right of course, I keep forgetting it....Gomenasai..... X_X
Apart from this blownup anims, nothing more. I have my (hope) LAST test in school today (we are going to write either feuilleton or reportage), then I am one week off (we have school sport week) and then probably I will have enough time to play with MELE and CMBT. Since this was my  primary goal why I started ONI investigation (AI tweaking), I am looking forward to it. Trust me. So far, only plain talk -_- *selfsmack*
Loser

Last edited by Loser (06/06/07 22:06)

#18 06/06/07 22:06

geyser
Website

I have been confident with this as the whole OUP crashed twice when I have tried to add it.

And of course you haven't reported this to Alloc roll
Anyway, now it works.

Blownups are primarily used for blownups, not for knockdowns.

I see. I just think setting the effect a few frames back won't make a difference for the people in the way of the flying char, and will only visibly affect what happens to the player in fistsoflegend mode... will see.

#19 06/07/07 23:06

Loser

HERE you can download KONOKOknockdowns pack. Import it the same way as blownups (and don't forget to read new version of manual, it is one of my posts above and thank geyser).
What is changed: KONOKOknockdown1, KONOKOknockdown2, KONOKOknockdown_bk1, KONOKOknockdown_bk2. Foot knockdowns don't send you flying, so I haven't changed them. Changes in the TRAMs: "link" word where link to atack part ought to be, animation flags are now A0 00 05 00.
A0 was originally A2, 02 means invulnerable during this anim. I disabled it and game is harder then (geyser will say more annoying, as usual), because enemies can juggle you in mid-air (don't be scared, since attacks don't move attacker too forward, this makes sense only when outnumbered). Of course same on your side ^_^. 05 adds ThrowTarget status (even ally can be hurt)
This change have effect on Konoko, Copfems, generic females, bd_females and furies. And Shinatama.
Since knockdown TRAMs have attack part now, there is ocasionally "bug" that even attacker is hitted by knockdowned char. Attack part starts after 10 frames, which is usually long enough, but when you jump-kick and enemy jumps towards you, he will go to knockdown anim while moving forward and you will be hitted. On the other side, if you jump kick and victim entangles in you legs, you will fall, won't you ^_^' ??? Plus this feature makes it harder for one of those cheap how-to-win: crazy jump-kicking.
I am going on school sports week this Saturday, so I wish you all good luck and good time. And geyser: change in those mods whatever you want, it is yours.                                                                                                                                                                                           Loser

Last edited by Loser (06/07/07 23:06)

#20 06/08/07 20:06

EdT
Website

Loser: Can you post a movie showing the blownups and knockdowns!

I looked at KONOKOblownup1.TRAM in OUP, but which dat-link-offset would I choose to import the raw part?
How would I find where the attack part starts?

Maybe a screenshot or two of what you did in OUP.  It will be helpful for us "not-advanced" users!

Hope you had fun at your school's sport week.

Thanks

Last edited by EdT (06/08/07 20:06)

#21 06/08/07 21:06

geyser
Website

@EdT:
Loser already posted a movie showing a knockdown that knocked down further chars: http://oni.bungie.org/community/forum/v … 1063#p1063
Loser obviously expects you (and the rest of the target group) to check out the wiki when in doubt: http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/OBD:TRAM and http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php/OBD:TRAM/raw0x14

Loser also didn't completely withdraw his initial claim about OUP not handling the offsets of imported RAW parts automatically. And you missed my point, too.
OUP will automatically update the RAW offset in DAT for an imported part. So you shouldn't have to fix the offset for imported RAW parts, only size-related fields.
If you need to look up a freshly imported RAW part, it will be at the very end of the RAW (if relocated at all). You can tell where it starts by comparing with the imported chunk.

Even if I sound tedious, you are right to ask for such details. But we should consider making must-read tutorials for a few examples, that will lessen the need for such support.
Like, Ed, when you manage to import those chunks, you're welcome to write a little how-to and put it here: http://wiki.oni2.net/index.php?title=OB … AM/raw0x14

Same for you, Loser. Forum threads come and go. And the wiki is still lacking tutorial-like sections for OBD. So just dump any hacking instructions there as well as here.

Last edited by geyser (06/08/07 21:06)

#22 06/08/07 23:06

EdT
Website

I think I need an OUP for dummies page! :-)

I imported the TRAM for knockdown (all versions) using DatEditor, however, I'm not clear on how to add the corresponding "raw_attack_part".  Do I go into RawEditor select the TRAM and then import it?  If so, I got this message:

File has different size from the file in the .raw
Size of file in .dat 0B
Size of chosen file 64B
Replace anyway?

Edit: In re-reading Loser's instructions, does he mean the included TRAM files are just for reference/comparison and not to be imported?  I have so much to learn... please be patient!

Last edited by EdT (06/08/07 23:06)

#23 06/09/07 09:06

geyser
Website

The included TRAM are for import or comparison, depending on how different your version is from Loser's.
Usually, the Mac Engilsh version has one extra resource in the middle of the DAT (a mac-specific GUI dialog), so after this resource all the IDs are shifted by 1.
Thus for any DAT-part you import that hasn't been authored from the same level as yours, you'll have to check the DAT-links, and probably increment some.
You don't have to do that for the knockdown TRAMs because they don't include any DAT-links (besides, the resource-ID (first 4 bytes) is overwritten automatically with that of the TRAM you import the data in, so you don't have to increment that either).
However, you still have to be very careful about the RAW offsets. The TRAM has a lot of those, and due to the Mac having less data in the RAW, the RAW-offsets of various RAW-parts of a given TRAM will be completely different in Loser's version and in yours: Y-position, XZ-position, bone rotation... all of them.
So rather than importing Loser's chunk in such a situation, it's wiser to make the few changes in OUP's hex editor. Fortunately, the changes in this case are rather minor: you're keeping everything as is, but you add 2 or 3 attack parts (depending on the TRAM), and you're modifying a few flags (also depending on the TRAM).

Here we go.
First, import the attack part (RAW-Editor, find the TRAM, choose offset 0x14, import from file). It's OK when it says the new part is larger than the previous one (there wasn't one in the first place). The new one will be appended to the end of the RAW, and the offset in the DAT will be updated.
Second, open the DAT part of the same TRAM in the Dat-Editor, and go to the field at 0x182 (number of attacks). Replace the 00 00 with a 02 00 or a 03 00 depending on what's in Loser's DAT (compare).
Finally, still in the same DAT, go to the field at 0x3C (flags). Replace the A0 00 04 00 with A0 00 05 00 for blownups and A2 00 05 00 to A0 00 05 00 for knockdowns (compare again). Save and test.

Oh, and copy-paste this to the wiki. You're welcome to rephrase this. Remember: you know when I'm cryptic better than I do.

Last edited by geyser (06/09/07 09:06)

#24 06/09/07 19:06

EdT
Website

No success, so far...

I started with the knockdown files.  Made the changes as geyser instructed.  But when I went to play the game, there was no change or difference in the knockdown effect.

Next I imported the blownup files, obviously I did something wrong, Oni crashed when loading level 0.
Oh well...

Last edited by EdT (06/09/07 21:06)

#25 06/09/07 21:06

geyser
Website

@Loser:

It would be helpful if every modder released deltas corresponding to the current state of their working copies.
Specifically, I'd consider any global changes such as those knockdowns/blownups as ideal additions to DemOni and DemOni Mac.

Both can be tested on PC with the PC demo engine (there's no sound for the Mac demo though). And probably vice-versa (Ed?).
The versions are very similar and for an expert modder, it doesn't take long to port a new feature to accomodate both versions.
The "nikanabo" thing allows one to generate "deltas" (encoded differences between the original and current versions) for each.

Such systematic releases are certainly more end-user-friendly than any tutorial. If we are to enhance Oni, we want to make releases for the masses, not hacks for geeks.

And since we have two well-defined versions to upgrade (DemOni PC and Mac), deltas also make it easier (and faster) to share ideas or results between developers.
Easier and faster because you just author a delta and upload it. The other modder downloads it, applies it, and immediately gets the same Oni as you have. "Plug and play".
Then, of course, you're welcome to provide a changelog, but you only need to list what resources you modified. No detailed list of field changes, let alone import instructions.
If I know you modded this-and-that TRAM, and added such-and-such RAW part to it, I'll just have a look at those parts and compare them side by side (in OUP or a diff tool).

@ Ed:
You probably did everything right for knockdowns. (Just make sure you've updated the flags and the attack count)
Note that the only visible changes will occur when Konoko (or a Konoko variant) is knocked down onto bystanders.
Did you try this in some dense melee situations? If not, it's no wonder you haven't seen an effect.

As for blownups, make sure you don't update the attack count before you import the RAW part.
Make sure you import the RAW part to the right address. Make sure the attack count is not too large.
(if there are 2 attacks in the RAW and you declare 3, the engine will attempt to read "garbage" stuff)

Last edited by geyser (06/09/07 21:06)

Board footer