Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#101 07/15/09 17:07

Chamyky
Website

Re: How good are Mac computers?

Gumby wrote:

On the topic of combining your CPU and monitor: I prefer being able to upgrade my monitor down the road without having to update my CPU, and vice versa. tongue

Altough upgrading a monitor seems a little uncommon to me, upgradibility is indeed one of PC's real good points. Nearly every desktop PC being upgradable vs only Mac Pros in Apple computers, this is indeed a big plus for whoever likes to keep their hardware up to date.

#102 07/15/09 17:07

Iritscen

jackoverfull wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Tou can do that with shared folders in Windows, too, I believe. Either with a direct ethernet connection or an adhoc wireless connection.

And it is a couple of click thing? Configuration included, of course…I doubt that.

You should probably let that one go, jof.  Basically you're just asking Gumby to describe precisely how Windows does networking and saying that until he can explain it in detail it's 'probably not as good as Mac'.  Not the strongest argument.

That means you don't, i guess…:rolleyes:

I think the roll count is pretty high now, don't you?  I mean, I haven't been keeping count or anything, but if you're not careful it can make you hard to get along with after a while smile

Fact: there are thousands of forums with win to mac switchers.
Another fact: it's difficult to find out a single one with people who did the other way.

I've known two people who switched to PCs; one never really loved the OS (we were at OS 8 at the time, I think) and his dad needed software that only Windows had.  He eventually became a Linux user.  The other switcher was getting more into gaming and seeing the stuff his friends had that he couldn't play.  A refined OS was much less important for him than having access to games (when they are still new, because of course many good games usually do get ported to Mac... after a while).

Oh, and there's Larry Bodine: http://wilshipley.com/blog/2006/10/flam … to-me.html big_smile

But, anyway, I do agree that there aren't many "switchbackers", and that does stand for something.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#103 07/15/09 17:07

Gumby

Well, I'm using a 19 inch monitor right now, which is enough for my needs, but if I have the opportunity to get a bigger, shinier monitor, I will.

Iritscen: roll
Iritscen: it's amazing this program even works
Gumby: i know
Iritscen: and that statement applies to my code, not just yours

#104 07/15/09 17:07

jackoverfull
Website

Chamyky wrote:

Altough upgrading a monitor seems a little uncommon to me, upgradibility is indeed one of PC's real good points. Nearly every desktop PC being upgradable vs only Mac Pros in Apple computers, this is indeed a big plus for whoever likes to keep their hardware up to date.

But macs are often good for a longer time than windows based pcs…

There are stil la lot of PPC users out there (and intel arrived in 2006…), G5, G4 and even g3. Usually a mac has a 10 years lifetime: 2 as a "current" computer, 2 as a still "good enough" to be a main computer, 2 of "maybe" (not good enough if you're, for example, programming or doing graphics, good enough if you're a normal home user) and 4 as a "good for dedicated tasks", as mediacenter, small server, or something else.

Iritscen wrote:

You should probably let that one go, jof.  Basically you're just asking Gumby to describe precisely how Windows does networking and saying that until he can explain it in detail it's 'probably not as good as Mac'.  Not the strongest argument.

But this is exactly the point: on os x you do "click" (phisically or wirelessly connect the two macs), click (open ichat) and drag, you're sending the file. On windows? Who knows?

I think the roll count is pretty high now, don't you?  I mean, I haven't been keeping count or anything, but if you're not careful it can make you hard to get along with after a while smile

Well, sorry for that…;)

roll
lol

Gumby wrote:

Well, I'm using a 19 inch monitor right now, which is enough for my needs, but if I have the opportunity to get a bigger, shinier monitor, I will.

And why you shouldn't with a mac? Connect the new one to the computer, if there is an integrated monitor (iMac, macbooks) you will almost double your space, if not (Mac Mini, Mac Pro) is the same as on PCs.
Anyway, i'm writing this on an hp monitor connected to my macbook pro. As I usually do.;)

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

#105 07/15/09 18:07

Gumby

jackoverfull wrote:
Chamyky wrote:

But macs are often good for a longer time than windows based pcs…

Not really, given that it is harder to get parts for a Mac.

There are stil la lot of PPC users out there (and intel arrived in 2006…), G5, G4 and even g3. Usually a mac has a 10 years lifetime: 2 as a "current" computer, 2 as a still "good enough" to be a main computer, 2 of "maybe" (not good enough if you're, for example, programming or doing graphics, good enough if you're a normal home user) and 4 as a "good for dedicated tasks", as mediacenter, small server, or something else.

Same with PCs. Your point?

Iritscen wrote:

But this is exactly the point: on os x you do "click" (phisically or wirelessly connect the two macs), click (open ichat) and drag, you're sending the file. On windows? Who knows?

I know. Weren't you the one accusing me of not knowing enough about Macs to properly debate?

1. Connect
2. Stick your file in your shared folder (can do this beforehand tongue)
3. Grab it on the other PC

Well, sorry for that…;)

roll
lol

Gumby wrote:

And why you shouldn't with a mac? Connect the new one to the computer, if there is an integrated monitor (iMac, macbooks) you will almost double your space, if not (Mac Mini, Mac Pro) is the same as on PCs.
Anyway, i'm writing this on an hp monitor connected to my macbook pro. As I usually do.;)

I don't want two different sized monitors. tongue That would be freaky.

#106 07/15/09 18:07

jackoverfull
Website

These parts are often the same parts…

In 25 years I remember replacing myself a broken part once. An HD. A normal, bought in a normal pc store, HD.

i don't see many "old" pcs these days, do you?:D

1. Connect

That is a "connect the cable" thing?
I don't think so.
And if you don't have a cable?

2. Stick your file in your shared folder (can do this beforehand )

But you have to share that folder first…

If you can find it on the network…

I don't want two different sized monitors.  That would be freaky.

Then use only one. As I do (one for when i'm at home, one, smaller, for when i'm on the road). Anyway, what's the point? The same problem is there with laptops pcs or (rare) all-inone…
With the difference that the os takes care from every aspect of the dual head (yes, i tried it on windows, at least on xp, what a nightmare!).:)

"To the future, blinkin' an eye to the past!"

#107 07/15/09 18:07

Gumby

jackoverfull wrote:

These parts are often the same parts…

In 25 years I remember replacing myself a broken part once. An HD. A normal, bought in a normal pc store, HD.

Ok. smile

i don't see many "old" pcs these days, do you?:D

Yes. Unfortunately.

1. Connect

That is a "connect the cable" thing?
I don't think so.
And if you don't have a cable?

Yes, it is, damnit. Connect the cable into the ethernet cable. You are done! Tada! If you are doing wireless, setup an adhoc on one computer, and connect to said ad hoc network on the other.

2. Stick your file in your shared folder (can do this beforehand )

But you have to share that folder first…

No. Windows automatically has these folders.

If you can find it on the network…

THERE IS ONLY ONE PC ON THE NETWORK! HOW CAN YOU NOT FIND IT!?! -_-

I don't want two different sized monitors.  That would be freaky.

Then use only one. As I do (one for when i'm at home, one, smaller, for when i'm on the road). Anyway, what's the point? The same problem is there with laptops pcs or (rare) all-inone…
With the difference that the os takes care from every aspect of the dual head (yes, i tried it on windows, at least on xp, what a nightmare!).:)

It has nothing to do with OS preference. It has to do with my preference for two things that sit side by side to match up. Slight OCD. smile If I went with a dual setup, I would get two of the same monitor.

#108 07/15/09 19:07

Iritscen

Most people using two monitors do want them to be the same size, that's only natural.

Check out the Anniversary Edition Seven at ae.oni2.net!

#109 07/16/09 09:07

Chamyky
Website

Gumby wrote:

THERE IS ONLY ONE PC ON THE NETWORK! HOW CAN YOU NOT FIND IT!?! -_-

This is sometimes a problem! There's something weird about Windows' handling of networks - there are these workgroups. They always got in my way. You have these strange wizards, asking you for a PC network name, a workgroup name. You can "create networks", you can "create connections".
All this handling is quite confusing and weird. You often have trouble putting computers together, be it for games or simple file sharing (even though games are often easier to connect).

So, yeah, I've mentioned a lot of problems and obviously you never get all of them. Perhaps sometimes you don't get any. But they do exist, and it's sometimes tricky to deal with them.

Last edited by Chamyky (07/16/09 09:07)

#110 07/16/09 10:07

Lithium

yea all you want to do is get online thats all mad

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#111 07/16/09 12:07

Gumby

Chamyky, you are thinking of old old ways of connecting. Just connect the cord and be done. smile It's been like that for a few years now. The only wizard you really have to go though is when you first setup your computer, that asks you for the name of the computer. And I do believe there is one almost just like it in the Mac setup.

#112 07/16/09 12:07

Lithium

yea there probably is one set up for a mac too.

Oni IRC | Kumite! Kumite! Kumite!

#113 07/16/09 13:07

Chamyky
Website

Well, the last time I connected a PC to a network, the network layout was really weird so that's probably what generated the problem. However I think I still run into some problems now and then, but I'm probably confusing with other things. These workgroups were terrible anyway sad .

#114 07/16/09 13:07

Gumby

Yeah, they aren't really used anymore. smile

#115 07/19/09 19:07

Ether

tl; read anyway

I'm too lazy to look for quotes in these 114 posts and I don't want you to take anything personally anyway. Here are some of my thoughts at 2am:

Networking in XP and newer is quite simple. Connecting two PCs with an Ethernet cable makes a network automatically (if you haven't messed with the configuration). Ad-hoc wireless is about three clicks away. The Shared/Public Documents should be pre-shared and you just need to enable sharing (includes running a wizard a lot of clicking in XP (just once) or just classifying the network as Home/Private in Vista+), then it's simple drag and drop. Another way is to use a local file transfer and/or IM application and enjoy the Mac-like simplicity.

I'm downloading a lot of suspicious things, but still, the last virus I've got was for DOS. (Okay, I got one more after that, but that was because I dumb-headedly double-clicked it, even when I knew it was a virus.)

I've had problems with drivers, but it's mostly because I'm trying to make HW designed in the 9x ages run with XP. Or when I get some weird stuff from "noname" vendors. Drivers aren't an issue if you have a recent Windows OS and a recent and/or made-by-a-reliable-vendor HW.

I'm never forced to reinstall my Windows, even when I install/uninstall applications and mess with my configuration very often, mostly because I don't f***ing click on every 'Agree', 'Install', 'Unblock', 'Run' and 'Screw my system in many other ways' button I see on the Netz.

@jackoverfull] Don't even try to think of rolling your eyes, give them a break.

@Iritscen] Hi. I watch the forums quite often, I just saw a topic I can contribute to. Anyway, today I got to read the new posts after a few days break and I saw this mayhem and went WTF? Nonetheless, it was very interesting.

Last edited by Ether (07/19/09 19:07)

Board footer