Oni Central Forum

A forum for the Oni community

You are not logged in.

#1 05/17/07 04:05

Dr.Genya

Oni blams at OTA

I have a proglem with OTA playing at lvl 6 (the TCTF original), at the first round everything is fine but after the 1st one it Blams randomly at the 2nd or 3rd round. somebody help pls cuz playing on lvl 6 with OTA is the BEST for me ...

#2 05/18/07 06:05

geyser
Website

Re: Oni blams at OTA

Ouch. What version of OTA are you using (download URL)?

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#3 05/18/07 16:05

Dr.Genya

#4 05/19/07 14:05

geyser
Website

Nice one, yes. Hard to win in the first arena. And lots of different AI to train against.
Tested it in melee for 2 cycles. No blam. Testing with weapons now.
Make sure you press the stop_record key after you shapeshift bots or switch arenas.
Otherwise, the engine will keep recording since the first time you used the hotkeys.
Eventually the corresponding buffer will overflow and Oni will Blam.
Let us know if that was the problem.

EDIT: OK, with weapons it did crash during the first cycle for some reason.
Investigating/fixing... it's well worth porting to a more advanced version of the core.

EDIT 2: Did yours crash on one of the save points "with guns"?

Last edited by geyser (05/19/07 16:05)

Behold the power of that which is yet unborn! For the swirling images that flow forth from the Chrysalis are only a shadow of the sleeper's true power.

#5 05/20/07 02:05

Dr.Genya

yesyes it crashes only "with guns" without weapons i could play all weekend big_smile but i like to play with weapons as well ...

Last edited by Dr.Genya (05/23/07 09:05)

#6 06/10/07 21:06

geyser
Website

Yo. Looks like we finally found why Oni crashed in more or less random situations.
Especially while playing Oni Team Arena (OTA kinda pushes Oni's engine to the limits).
It was pathfinding after all. Insufficient capacity of the cache for the pathfinding grids.

Oni's engine can totally handle 20 characters at the same time (I've even had battles of 60 on one).
And it's not a problem to have many of them pathfinding towards an opponent at the same time, either.

The problem arises when those characters are scattered across several large areas/rooms in the level.
Then the cumulated size of the uncompressed pathfinding grids can exceed the cache size (256 kB).
And that means a freshly needed grid will not be added to the cache, and pathfinding will then fail. Blam.

We tracked down that crash while fixing the rather old TCTF HQ you've complained about, Dr. Genya.
First, I scrapped Your_Mom's script and adapted Airport Battery Pack Bis to TCTF HQ instead.
It was quite fun to play TCTF HQ with all the runtime settings of the 1.1 core (it's all on one savepoint).
However, it still crashed (even with melee). After a little debugging, we identified the cache thingie.
I've tested the arena thoroughly with that cache size increazed to 2 MB and the crash is kinda gone smile

We have yet to release the modified EXE (or, more likely, the Daodan DLL that has the same effect).
So I made another fix. I (re)enabled door locks, and explicitly locked/unlocked certain doors at level load.
That way, the players are confined to a somewhat smaller area, thus causing fewer grids to be cached.
(BTW, that's just the way I managed to apparently rule out the crash in ABPbis and the Lab last year...)

So you're encouraged to try THIS: http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/WIP/HQfixed.zip
Even though I can not guarantee that it will be 100% stable in the parking lot and on the roof.
Be sure to make a few more videos if it works OK. Try Oceanborn and Century Child, BTW smile

I'd appreciate if people who try this ported it to other levels or areas. Or even to the Mac wink

As for me, I'll be more or less out of the circulation for the next few weeks... Have fun.

Last edited by geyser (06/10/07 21:06)

#7 06/10/07 21:06

EdT
Website

I'd appreciate if people who try this ported it to other levels or areas. Or even to the Mac

I wonder who you're referring to.... smile  I'm kinda having fun modding the binaries right now...
I'll add it to my "to do" list.

Take care, you left us with enough things to keep us busy while you're away.

#8 06/14/07 00:06

Dr.Genya

There is no blam for 3 cycles and i think there wont be any ... but i loaded every save point and there are no weapons at all ...

#9 06/14/07 04:06

geyser
Website

Thanks for testing. Hope it works. As for weapons... There's a nice, friendly README.TXT you're supposed to have read.
All save points are indeed the same (until I add Tag, CTF, DM, Rugby and such). But there's an ingame user interface smile

OTA assumes you have bind fkey9 to start_record and bind fkey10 to stop_record somewhere in your key_config.txt, or that you're using the Developer Mode.
You're supposed to use the menu once to enable weapons. It doesn't take long, and you can set a lot more stuff than by loading a few different savepoints. Here's an overview:

FEATURES/SPECIALS
1.    The arena automatically cycles between 6 different areas :
        area 0 : DAMOCLES
        area 1 : CRASH 'N' BURN
        area 2 : SHATTERED GLASS
    The specials enable you to restart the current area or quick-cycle areas.
    You can change the starting arena by editing the script.

2.    There are several time/frag limit modes. Default is a frag limit of 100.
        TIME LIMIT : 3 MINUTES
        TIME LIMIT : 5 MINUTES
        100-FRAG and 50-FRAG LIMITS
    The first team to reach a frag limit wins.
    If a time limit is reached, the team with the most frags wins.
    The arena then automatically moves to the next area.
    The time/frag limit is settable via the menu.
    You can change the default by editing the script.

3.    The arena has multiple gun modes. Default is melee (no guns).
    You can also have Van de Graaff Pistols, Campbell Equalizers,
    Plasma Rifles, Mercury Bows or random guns.
    You can set the guns to be given at respawn or spawned on the ground.
    You can change the default gun mode by editing the script.

4.    Several "air qualities" are available :
        0 : CLEAN AIR HAPPY
        1 : PURPLE HAZE
        2 : HEAVY SMOG
        3 : CATACLYSM
    Default is CLEAN AIR HAPPY for all areas except DAMOCLES (PURPLE HAZE)
    Setting a custom air quality disables these default air qualities.

5.    This release features a special mode (enabled by default)
    called "DRAIN YOU". Whenever Barabas regenerates, he will poison you at the same time.

0bis.    Be sure you stop movie recording (default is F10) as soon as
    you don't need the special function.
    Else you will get buffer overflow and Oni will "Blam!"

0ter.    You must also keep the number of "saved_filmXXX.dat" files small !

1.    Arena cycler : press (F9,) F3 (, F10) to transfer the arena to the next area

1bis.    F3 from within an active menu restarts the current area.

1ter.    Don't restart an area until all players have finished entering the arena.

2.    The menu is enabled with (F9,) F2. Then repeatedly pressing F2 cycles through :
        BOT CYCLER : use this to apply cheat codes to bots
        TOOLS OF DEATH : use this to select the gun mode
        TIME/FRAG LIMIT : use this to choose a time/frag limit
        AIR QUALITY : use this to set the air quality
        TODAY'S SPECIALS : use this to toggle "DRAIN YOU"
        (BACK TO GAME)
    In each of those menus, CREEP BACK cycles the current setting.
        BOT CYCLER : CREEP BACK = next player
        TOOLS OF DEATH : CREEP BACK = next gun mode
        TIME/FRAG LIMIT : CREEP BACK = next time/frag limit
        AIR QUALITY : CREEP BACK = next air quality
        TODAY'S SPECIALS : CREEP BACK = "DRAIN YOU" ON/OFF

2bis.    In BOT CYCLER, F2 is only effective if you're in control of PLAYER 0

So basically wait till everyone has spawned, then F9, F2 to open the menu, and follow the instructions.
Don't forget to F10 when you're done! If you do forget, you'll get a Blam after half an hour or so smile

#10 06/14/07 05:06

Dr.Genya

ok thx ... i think it works perfectly smile

#11 07/16/07 07:07

jhmvr

Hi, can any1 explain how to get OTA working? I saw http://your_mom.oni2.net/Help%20and%20T … me_ach.txt but i dont understand some things ...

smile

#12 07/16/07 09:07

geyser
Website

Which things don't you understand?
Maybe these make more sense?
http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/ota … README.TXT
http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/ota … README.TXT

Last edited by geyser (07/16/07 09:07)

#13 07/16/07 10:07

jhmvr

Yes that I understand , thanks just 1 thing, where are this files:
                                          arena_level.bsl
        arena_main.bsl
        arena_menu.bsl
        arena_rand.bsl
        arena_score.bsl
        arena_teams.bsl
        arena_weapons.bsl
Just need that

smile

#14 07/16/07 10:07

geyser
Website

The "arena files" are usually released as a ZIP archive. Those ZIPs can be downloaded from the oni2.net accounts of the makers: me, Your_Mom, EdT.
On the wiki page, there's a table under "Where do I get it?": the first column has download links. There are also download links HERE and HERE

Below the table on the wiki-page there are links to forum threads. That's because the more recent versions do not appear in that table.
At the moment, those "new" versions only appear on forum threads, so you can just search these forums for OTA and Oni Team Arena.

Of course, you can also look at these here: http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/ (the most recent ones are "WIP").

Last edited by geyser (07/16/07 10:07)

#15 07/16/07 11:07

jhmvr

Ok it worked but when i start that is too fast, always passing letters saying that people is dying and that... and after like 1 minute the game ends.

smile

#16 07/16/07 11:07

jhmvr

I tested again and, in the TCTF HQ the units dont apear , in the rooftops the game is like arena because apear that thing saying who dies but the units, are the units that apear in the mission.

smile

#17 07/16/07 11:07

geyser
Website

Every version of the 7 "arena files" must be used in the level for which that version has been (re)written.
If you want to play in the Rooftops chapter, you should use this: http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/ota … fDM1_1.zip
If you want to play in Airport Assault, you should use this: http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/WIP/ABPbis.zip
If you want to play in the TCTF HQ (1), you should use this: http://geyser.oni2.net/OniTeamArena/WIP/HQfixed.zip
You must extract every one of those in the right subfolder of IGMD and then load the right level.

If you place a Rooftops arena in the TCTF HQ folder, the script will not find the right characters
(so it will indeed look like characters keep dying over and over, while actually they don't exist)
I suggest you take some more time reading the READMEs and maybe older forum threads, too.

Last edited by geyser (07/16/07 11:07)

#18 07/19/07 08:07

azewrath

Until now, i never did followed the instruction of the readme (creating a subfolder etc). What i would wanna know now is what's the purpose of that?
I can play OTA fine just by extracting the winzip files into the original folder.... Albeit there's some arenas that i can't play(mushashi,airport,bio lab) n the TCTF HQ just keep blamming...
WTH?

RESERVOIRDOGS - Trust no one... for real

#19 07/20/07 16:07

geyser
Website

The "instructions" merely let you organize your original content and the new, modified one.
It's very fast to move files to a subfolder or to the parent folder. That's why I suggest that.
Basically, the logic you don't currently use is put where Oni can't see it: in local subfolders.
If you have both sets of level logic in the level logic folder simultaneously, they'll interfere.

The Blam in the TCTF HQ is the main subject of this topic. Are you using the "fixed" version?
A Daodan extending the pathfinding grid cache will become available Soon(TM). Say, monday.
Until then, either lock as many doors as you can, or patch the EXE yourself if you can't wait.

Patch instructions for Mac OS X:
At 0x96DCA, change 00 04 to 00 20
At 0x96DE2, change 00 04 to 00 20

Patched "standard" (Eastern) PC EXE:
http://geyser.oni2.net/TEMP/cachefix/
No other patches were applied!
So, use the Daodan DLL here:
http://geyser.oni2.net/EXE/pc.east/

Last edited by geyser (07/20/07 16:07)

#20 07/20/07 17:07

EdT
Website

geyser: The Mac patch works, no crashes on OTA Compound outside arena!  Thanks!

Board footer